Oven door fell off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
Actually it was the outside panel. I was aghast. I've never seen that happen in my life! I googled around and found that it is not at all uncommon. The fix is to glue it back on with high heat silicone. I can do that but I'm pretty pissed off because this shouldn't happen, ever!!! I read that when it happened to one lady it missed hitting her toddler by 6". Someone else got a broken toe. A third's foot is all black and blue and he/she is limping around.

I might even call the repair man. I'm the one with the broiler that doesn't work so I'd be getting two problems solved for the price of one service call. I would really like to buy a new one but although I don't live hand to mouth, I'm in the position of having to wait until something comes to the point of crisis before buy new. I'm not there, yet.

I would seriously consider replacing. A service call could easily run more than a replacement.
I also do not understand how silicone would be the correct way to fix this issue.
There is a mechanical repair and going to You Tube may show you exactly how to repair it yourself.
Since the broiler does not work and now the front of the door is broken, I would surely at least look into replacing it.

BTW. I'm certain the manufacturer did not rely on silicone to assemble this door. This can be fixed by anyone with the most simple mechanical aptitude.
Or make the decision to not waste money on bringing in a repair person.

Last edited:
There is no mechanical repair. The outer door was stuck on at the factory with a thin strip of adhesive. There are no screws, no slots to stick it into. It was glued! The high heat silicone seems to have worked for folks.

The broiler is partly the fault of the plumber who installed the range when I had the house built. He hooked up the gas so he knew that I use LP gas. He didn't switch out the jets so I did it myself. The stove top was easy peasy. The instructions said to be careful not to strip the hood on the broiler and I used a very gentle hand, but the dang thing stripped anyway. Once it was stripped the repair was over my head.

I looked around and ranges and their prices but I just don't have the cash on hand ATM. I don't make a ton of money so I avoid going into debt for anything but an emergency and I had a $4000. emergency that I think I'll finally be able to pay off this month. The oven can be repaired for way less than a new one.

The repair guy has been here before. Like everyone who comes here, from the tree cutting guy who saved my house when a tree wanted to fall on it, to the DSL guy who fixed a break in the phone line, to an electrician, to my carpenter, they all like me. I think it's because I like watching people who know what they're doing work. People who are good enjoy teaching. I know that I would love for someone interested in dogs come into my shop be interested in learning what's involved in the process of correct grooming.

I'll call him tomorrow and ask his his opinion, get an estimate and decide how to proceed. After all, the oven will work without the outer door and I've done without a broiler for 8 years. I live in the sticks. My fix it people either live in the sticks or in the one horse town where I have my shop. I think that for the most part we are kinder , less money hungry, and more honest than people who work in areas with a big population.

Last edited:
Seems you have already had your decision made.
And my fault for not seeing or knowing your range was gas.
Good luck on the repair.
What type of craftsman are you calling for this job? I'm curious.

I'm calling Bill Robinson, owner of Bill's Appliance, certified technician. He lives in the one horse town where I have my shop, Ellisville, MS.

Guess what folks? I fixed both things myself. I have a nice clean glass on the oven door inside and out and the door is glued on. More importantly. I fixed the broiler! I've been doing without a broiler for 8 years because I was too stupid to figure it out the first time, and it was so easy! I guess I'm smarter at 65 than I was 57.

Guess what folks? I fixed both things myself...
You go, Girl! Next time you have a problem, search Youtube for it. When we were visiting our kids back home, one of Ohio's finest stopped us to let us know that a headlight was out on our car. When we stopped at the car shop in our daughter's small town, the guy there couldn't figure it out. Told us that the other mechanic would be in the next day. Once at our daughter's, I got busy googling. Found a video that explained exactly how to do it! Next day Himself swapped the bulbs out, easy-peasy! When he had to replace our garbage disposal, he must have spent at least four hours watching a bunch of videos. Took him less than two hours total to fix it. On a plumbing job, that's a great time for him! (He's better with electrical jobs...)

Back
Top Bottom