Oven quit working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Oven decided to stop working last night. Burners are working fine.

What's the problem?

It's a Whirlpool super capacity #465, but was installed by the builder, so I don't have high hopes about that name.

Do we need to call the gas company or buy a new setup?

the usual suspect is the thermostat, 'bug.

if it doesn't sense flame, it shuts the gas off.

thanks, bucky (need to talk to you soon about upcoming travels).

so what do we need to do? can we buy a new one and install it ourselves, or what?

Gas oven? Have you had a power failure? Try finding a reset button and see if that will fix it.
Most new ones (I have just discovered) do not have pilot lights but some sort of almost a glow plug like an old diesel car. It has to heat up and then it lights the gas. That is why (at least on mine) in a power failure with no ignition on the burners I can light them, but not the oven. If it is this glow plug thingy that is out, it is expensive but replaceable. I am having a similar problem and need to find the reset--which the technician suggested. It worked for him OF COURSE!!!!

Yes, it's an all-gas appliance, but I don't think that's it, Gretchen. We've had power failures before without the oven committing suicide.

For the record, HH is all for buying a new appliance. We have been lusting after a nice model at HD with a double oven.

lOh, well in that case. It is definitely toast and I would be out the door already!! ;o)

I hear you, girlfriend. I'd rather take a day off waiting for the guy to bring me something new than trying to fix the old beast. It's 9 years old so I think I'm entitled to this vanity.

I think buying a new Oven would be great. I would call Whirlpool first and have them come out to see if the oven can be fixed. Nine years is not old for an oven. You can also call the Gas Company and have them take a look.

Since you and your husband want to get a double oven I would first have Whirlpool come out and then decide.

I have had my GE Oven for over fifteen years and it is still going strong.

Whatever you two decide enjoy and have a great day.

If you want a new appliance, go for it. It's fun to shop for new kitchen stuff.

If you want, get this fixed. I replaced a thermostat on my oven years ago and it's still running fine.

Well, we've caved on the Mr. Fixit alternative. The new one is coming tomorrow. The new one (Maytag) has five burners and a "double" oven. The top oven is not very big but will do for most of our uses. The bottom oven is more like a standard size, but means I will have to bend down with a helper to haul a turkey out of it.

Robt: yes, probably. It's just that the bottom of the bottom oven is fairly close to the floor (no drawer underneath to stow those broiler pans), so any turkey or ham or big roast that gets cooked in there is gonna have a longer-than-usual trip to the countertop.

It's looking pretty nice here in the kitchen, though. HH said it only took the delivery guys 15 minutes to install it and take away the old one. Daughter has already made cupcakes in it.

cupcakes? oh, how cool 'bug.

it's one of those ovens that cooks with a lightbulb? :)

only 15 minutes for set up time for an easybake oven? musta been from sears...

(i'll pm you by the 21st. )

Back
Top Bottom