Oven Temperature Accuracy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
I was just curious. I read all the time about how inaccurate oven temperature regulators are, so I was wondering how many of you have tested your ovens.

I just got a new gas range with gas convection oven (GE Adora - 5 burner w/Lodge cast iron griddle/grill pan for the center burner). I checked the temp last week using an oven thermometer that I trust, and found it to be spot on at 350° F. I was pleasantly surprised after all of the comments I've seen about ovens being 25° or more off from the setting.

So far I'm pretty happy about everything with this range. The burners turn way down to simmer. Last night a made a pot (enameled cast iron Dutch oven) of chili and beans that simmered for well over an hour unattended without any sign of a burn. The same burner has a "turbo boil" setting that will boil a kettle of water in a hurry. I can't imagine ever voluntarily returning to an electric range.

I was just curious. I read all the time about how inaccurate oven temperature regulators are, so I was wondering how many of you have tested your ovens.

I just got a new gas range with gas convection oven (GE Adora - 5 burner w/Lodge cast iron griddle/grill pan for the center burner). I checked the temp last week using an oven thermometer that I trust, and found it to be spot on at 350° F. I was pleasantly surprised after all of the comments I've seen about ovens being 25° or more off from the setting.

So far I'm pretty happy about everything with this range. The burners turn way down to simmer. Last night a made a pot (enameled cast iron Dutch oven) of chili and beans that simmered for well over an hour unattended without any sign of a burn. The same burner has a "turbo boil" setting that will boil a kettle of water in a hurry. I can't imagine ever voluntarily returning to an electric range.

I'm glad you're happy with your new range. Just for kicks, check your oven temps at higher and lower temps to be sure.

I would keep that oven thermometer close at hand.
A brand new range will not remain accurate for ever.
I leave mine in the oven at all times and check it each time
the "beep" goes off, saying that the oven is at whatever
temp I have set it for. Most times I just wait about
5 more minutes before I even go and check.
I've re-calibrated my range once or twice myself along the way,
but then my mantra is 'nothing in life is perfect' :shrug:

I would keep that oven thermometer close at hand.
A brand new range will not remain accurate for ever.
I leave mine in the oven at all times and check it each time
the "beep" goes off, saying that the oven is at whatever
temp I have set it for. Most times I just wait about
5 more minutes before I even go and check.
I've re-calibrated my range once or twice myself along the way,
but then my mantra is 'nothing in life is perfect' :shrug:

It's pretty common knowledge that most ovens need to be preheated longer than the thermostat allows for. When I checked mine, I let it go for at least 10 more minutes to let the temperature stabilize.

My oven burns hot. So when the recipe calls for 350ºF. I set it at 325. And I do have an oven thermometer. I also discovered that if I place the container towards the back, whatever I am baking will brown more than I would like. So when I look at that thermometer, it says 350. :angel:

I have a cheap 20 year old GE electric stove/range and wondered the very same thing.
My wife picked up an oven thermometer and the oven temp was spot on.
Has been and still is.
I was pleasantly surprised as I too expected it to be off.

I've always kept an oven thermometer in my oven and, from time to time, check the accuracy of my oven. Over the years, this oven is almost 20 years old now, I have had to adjust the temperature, but not too many times.

My oven takes longer to preheat because the whole bottom rack, with open space for circulation, is lined with clay tiles. I keep them there to avoid hot spots and for bread baking and pizza. I discovered that since the tiles have been in the oven, I have more even heating.

It's pretty common knowledge that most ovens need to be preheated longer than the thermostat allows for. When I checked mine, I let it go for at least 10 more minutes to let the temperature stabilize.

I guess what I was saying is that the oven may be spot on one day and then off the next, yanevaknow :)
I bake quite a bit, so I have found for consistent results, I keep the oven thermometer in the hot box, just to check.

The oven at the farm is the most challenging oven to use for baking...we've changed the regulator, etc., and it is better, but it typically is 25 degrees hotter than what I select. Fortunately, I don't bake out there often. It seems to go wonky if I use it above 325. Before changing the regulator, to get the oven to be 350-375, I had to fiddle with it. Sometimes I had to have it set at 250, sometimes 300 and sometimes it would shoot up to 450! Lots of scorched bread was made in that oven...

I have a cheap 20 year old GE electric stove/range and wondered the very same thing.
My wife picked up an oven thermometer and the oven temp was spot on.
Has been and still is.
I was pleasantly surprised as I too expected it to be off.

GE/Hotpoint ranges, even the cheapest ones often score high in Consumer Reports for good, even heating, accurate ovens.

When I lived in an apartment, the GE range there was surprisingly good.

GE/Hotpoint ranges, even the cheapest ones often score high in Consumer Reports for good, even heating, accurate ovens.

When I lived in an apartment, the GE range there was surprisingly good.

My GE Profile blah blah blah oven is 15 years old and spot on. From time to time SO insists it's off and screwing up her baking so I have to check it again to prove it's still accurate.

The 1978 Super Frigidaire electric oven at the 1978 built condo I lease is still here. The thermostat is faulty and they no longer make that replacement part. After I let the oven preheat, I spend another 20 minutes adjusting the temp because it's off by as much as 50 degrees. I'm wondering if I have cause to demand a new oven. Jeesh, a cheapo electric oven would cost the owner only $300 and would represent about 1 tenth of 1 percent of the value of the condo ($275K).

The 1978 Super Frigidaire electric oven at the 1978 built condo I lease is still here. The thermostat is faulty and they no longer make that replacement part. After I let the oven preheat, I spend another 20 minutes adjusting the temp because it's off by as much as 50 degrees. I'm wondering if I have cause to demand a new oven. Jeesh, a cheapo electric oven would cost the owner only $300 and would represent about 1 tenth of 1 percent of the value of the condo ($275K).

That would be nice but the owner is probably thinking about the percentage of the rent a new oven would cost.

All you can do is ask. :angel:

That sounds like how the oven at the farm behaved. Has s/one confirmed it is the thermostat? If not, you could ask that be checked to make sure it isn't faulty wiring. A hint here and there that this could be a fire hazard might make the owner re-consider the cost of replacing it vs. the loss of rental income, hassles with the insurance company, etc., should it cause a fire in the condo building.

Back
Top Bottom