"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I check the temperature of my oven when something doesn't seem to cook the way I expect. Otherwise, I don't think about it. I put food in the oven when it beeps. I don't think there's much point in trying to guess how much heat is lost from opening the door, putting food in, etc. The oven doesn't know whether you're baking frozen fries or a cake; it just senses the temperature inside and operates accordingly.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Sous Chef

there are recipes that call for a preheated oven, others "start from cold."

so aside from "what people actually do" - there's the recipe/dish/instructions to consider.

frankly I doubt if the overshoot makes a hoot for 99.99999999999999% of stuff. actually nothing comes to mind that can't take 10 minutes of 'too hot at the start' - and consider also, as soon as you open the door to put something in, the too hot air spills out and odds be the air temp then is below the set point and has to turn on and recover after the door is closed....

there are things where a thorough pre-heat/heat soak is beneficial - like pizza.....

Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
It would be better if I had asked all here whether they let their oven settle down to the temp set, or put their food in the oven the moment the oven beeps. I was sort of getting at that issue, and also pondering how oven makers figure that all out.
I usually preheat my oven for a few minutes beyond the beep. Especially for baking and pizza. For pizza, I preheat a long time to ensure the pizza stone if fully preheated. ATK did tests showing it can take up to an hour to fully preheat a pizza stone.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
It would be better if I had asked all here whether they let their oven settle down to the temp set, or put their food in the oven the moment the oven beeps. I was sort of getting at that issue, and also pondering how oven makers figure that all out.
Depends on what I'm cooking. If it's baked potatoes or a roast or something that has a longer cooking time, I don't even wait for it to preheat. That just wastes gas (or electricity if it's that type). For something with a shorter cooking time, or that needs to be crisped, then I preheat to the beep but not usually beyond.

If I'm using my stone for bread or pizza, I preheat for at least 30 minutes after the beep.

Tags
oven