"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
Head Chef

Pannini Grill...is it worth it?

I have wanted a panini grill for a long time now. Have VERY limited space and budget. DOes anyone out there have one? Is it worth the money and counter space?

Which one do you have? what do you like or not like about your grill?? I don't eat very many sandwiches, but like the idea of a indoor grill option that I can use for meats, fish, veggies, etc. Thoughts?? Thx!

Old 10-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
Sous Chef

My waffle iron is hinged to accept wider loads, so I just use that - not perfect, but good enough for the few times I do. (It has a flat side option).

Old 10-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Master Chef

I use my waffle maker too. Like otter, it's usually the flat side, but the waffle side is fun, too. If you don't have a waffle maker and decide not to buy the panini maker you can also wrap a brick in foil and place that on top of the sandwich while it cooks. A bit primative, but it works!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #4
Head Chef

ohhh, I have a waffle maker at home, doesn't have a flat side (that I'm aware of) and will try this. Thanks for the idea guys!! This forum is awesome!! :D
Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

would the george forman things work? we have one but i've never used it... not sure if it has an adjustable hinge on it...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
would the george forman things work? we have one but i've never used it... not sure if it has an adjustable hinge on it...
You're not a ringing endorsement for me to run out and buy one!
I don't have one and have never used one but I'd assume that the GF grill would have an adjustable hinge (I'm picturing cooking a big burger or steak in one, as they advertise). It makes sense that it would work for sandwiches. I'd give it a try if I were you.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

dw always uses it. i'm not a big fan of things that heat with electricity, unless it has a good agc circuit that can pull 15 amps to regulate the temperature. i like to cook on fire. i mean over a fire. the food that is, sheesh! lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Head Chef

I've heard the foreman will work, but was hoping for a nice looking grill...don't know why, but I have something against the foreman...

Oh, plus, most panini grills have a heavy lid, which will have the effect of smashing the sandwich down as it cooks...when I saw the foreman, the top part of the grill didn't look heavy at all.

Not sure if I'm correct on this, but that's what I've notice when FN did several shows completely on sandwiches...
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Sous Chef

htc, with my waffle iron, I "lean" on it a bit when I initially put the sandwich in for compression. Like I said, it's not perfect, but as Alton Brown is fond of saying "Avoid the one trick pony."
PS: I use the handle for compression - never checked to see how hot the top of it was.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Go to http://www.chefscatalog.com/ and type villaware in the search box to see mine. I would have posted the whole link, but it was too long. I'd prefer it did regular waffles instead of Belgian, but such is life.