Pasta Roller Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essie

Senior Cook
Today, my pasta roller for the KA mixer would not stay still. What I mean is it kept turning when I ran it. I have used it many times and never had this happen. Is it possible that the dough was too stiff?
This really did not make my day as I was trying to make ravioli for company.

If you are talking about your pasta roller attachment spinning around in circles - the only thing I can figure is that you either didn't have it seated into the attachment hub properly, and/or failed to tighten the attachment knob and it worked loose.

Corey123 said:
Doesn't it turn as long as the mixer is on?

The rollers "inside" the pasta roller attachment will turn when the power is on (unless something is broken) - but the attachment itself should not be moving around in circles.

You can get the same effect from using a hand-cranked pasta machine (Atlas or Imperia or such) and not clamping it down before turing the handle.

Something is definitely broken in my mixer, itself. I can't get the attachement all the way into the hub(or whatever it's called) and of course the screw won't go in properly.
I don't know if this makes sense.
My mixer is a K5A and is about 35 years old. I think it may have met it's end, something that I never thought would happen.

Well - don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater just yet, Essie.

essie said:
I can't get the attachement all the way into the hub (or whatever it's called) and of course the screw won't go in properly. I don't know if this makes sense.

Sure - it sounds like you're not getting the "power shaft" (on the back of the pasta roller attachment) properly aligned with the "hub socket" (in the K5A).

Try this ....

1. Unscrew the "attachment knob" all the way (so it doesn't obstruct the shaft of the power hub).

2. Insert the end of the pasta roller attachment into the hub and twist it around until it slips into the mating opening ... the square peg fits into the square hole ... and then rotate until it is upright and the allignment pin on the back of the attachment fits into the notch on the hub - by the attachment knob. It should then slip all of the way into the socket.

3. Now tighten the attachment screw and try it.

It really sounds like you just didn't get everything lined up right. A little "wiggle and jiggle" might be all it needs. I really can not think of anything else that would be wrong with any model of KA.

And if it IS broken, I'm sure that it can be fixed by K'Aid.

Trust no one else to fix it, as they might do a crappy job!

The newer K'Aid K5SS is now out of production, but it still might be available in some stores like Filene's where I got mine from. It's in white only, though.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom