Perking coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edistocamper

Assistant Cook
I just bought one of those coffee perculators that you put over a campfire. Problem is, I don't know how long to let the coffee stay on the fire after it starts perking, and there are no directions in the package. Can anyone give me some advice?

Edistocamper

My mom used to have a percolator, and the general rule of thumb is when liquid in the percolator looks dark, it done. My mother's perculator (indoor variety) took about 30-45 minutes, but I'm not sure how long it would take on a campfire.

Your thread will probably be moved to general cooking questions forum at some point, so if you can find it here in the introductions/birthdays forum, you'll know where to look.

Last edited:
I remember my grandmother making coffee on the stove, but I didn't think it took that long. I think she took it off a few minutes after it started perking.

Certainly not 45 minutes. Depending on how strong you like your coffee, about 5-8 minutes will do it.

Gretchen said:
Certainly not 45 minutes. Depending on how strong you like your coffee, about 5-8 minutes will do it.

That's what I thought too! 30 - 45 minutes would make would make the kind of coffee where the spoon would stand by itself!

BC

10-12 minutes

For a coffee pot that is full and serves 12 cups. MY rule of thumb was a minute per cup and then a couple for the pot.

For a campfire "perculator" - 10-12 minutes after it starts to perk is long enough for "it's going to peel your eyelids back - morning brew" coffee.

I can't imagine not getting instructions with it ... what brand and capacity is it?

I didn't know that instructions ever came with a percolator!! That is the only way we have ever made coffee. Don't keep the pot over very hot fire once it starts to perk, move it a bit to the side where it will still perk but not as hard. You will know when it is ready by the smell, about 10-20 minutes, depending on how strong you want it. Longer if as Michael says "you want it to peel back your eyelids!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom