"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i wouldn't rush out to buy one.
i really don't like running appliances that could have the possibility of catching on fire whe i'm not home. it may not be the appliance's fault, but human error, like grease spillage, or a 2 year old putting plastic toys in the broiler compartment .
as it is, i unplug most things when we're not going to be home for a while, like on a lengthy vacation, just to be sure. about the only things that i'll leave running are a.c./heat, and the fridge. dw just teases me now, before we get in the car to go. "did you unplug everything? are all of the doors and windows locked."... etc.
my dad was a brooklyn firefighter when he was young, so he drilled fire safety into our heads from day one.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
Master Chef

I think I'll wait for George Jetson to put Rosie up for sale on eBay.

I saw a program a few weeks ago that was all about The Kitchen of the Future - created and filmed back in the 1950's. Outside of the microwave oven and dishwasher ... I don't see too many of those "tricked out" kitchen ideas around today. Some of this new stuff ... well ... do I REALLY need a dedicated network hub hooked to cameras in my refrigerator so that I can remote connect and see what is in my refrigerator from work? Having a POS (point of sale) inventory system is great for instantly tracking inventory in a retail environment - but do I really need this to keep track of what is in my pantry?

My biggest problems with a combo refrigerator/oven are:

(1) Energy Efficiency - it takes energy to create heat and it takes energy to remove heat - and the greater the difference in temperature between heating or cooling - the more energy it takes. I wouldn't look for this to be getting an EPA Energy Star rating anytime soon.

(2) Cooking Technique - Sometimes you do need to preheat the oven before throwing the food in.

Some things are interesting exercises in automation - but cost more than they are worth. Like the microwave ovens that have barcode readers that will read the barcodes on your frozen dinner and automatically set the power and time to the correct settings for you, if they are in the database otherwise your oven has to connect to the internet database and get an update ... but you still have to read the instructions on the box to see what to poke holes in or which items to remove the plastic cover from.

So until Rosie shows up on eBay, or I can find a second-hand Kryton, or Honda comes out with a Chef Asimo ... I'll probably stick to my old fashioned seperate refrigerator and cooktop/stove and just do it myself.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
...So until Rosie shows up on eBay, or I can find a second-hand Kryton, or Honda comes out with a Chef Asimo ... I'll probably stick to my old fashioned seperate refrigerator and cooktop/stove and just do it myself.

Luddite!!!!!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Luddite!!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:03 AM   #15
Master Chef

Luddite? NEVER! I'm an ecologically responsible crumudgen.