Potato fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bushcook

Assistant Cook
can anyone help with the real name of a clay waterless potato cooker, it sits on top of stove and I think it came from Europe somewhere.

I can't - never heard of such ... but it does sound interesting. Since "on the stove top" means it's only being heated from the bottom .. and it's waterless ... would be most interested in learning more about it.

I don't know what this could be either. There are these vessels
031231.jpg
for cooking potatoes but I am not familiar with a cay one that sits on TOP of the stove.

You're not thinking of a tagine are you? Or possibly a tian? But I don't think that's used on top of a stove - I think it's used in an oven.

I've seen pottery and clay dishes with closed lids which cook jacket potatoes in the oven - but would think that a clay dish on the stove top, whether electric or gas, would be a recipe for disaster!

Ishbel said:
I've seen pottery and clay dishes with closed lids which cook jacket potatoes in the oven - but would think that a clay dish on the stove top, whether electric or gas, would be a recipe for disaster!
I also think that you can't use clay on stovetops, just in the oven. LeCreuset makes a strange-looking enameled unit especially for stovetop use, but I don't know if it works for potatoes. :mellow:
http://www.tagines.com/pd_le.cfm

Last edited:
potato fire

Michael in FtW said:
I can't - never heard of such ... but it does sound interesting. Since "on the stove top" means it's only being heated from the bottom .. and it's waterless ... would be most interested in learning more about it.
This clay pot never need washing and tastes like a potato cooked in the coals without the charcoal. I have one which was a gift and I need the name for my friends to buy one

potato fire

Ishbel said:
:) I have one which I love. This clay pot never needs washing and tastes like a potato cooked in the coals without the charcoal. this was a gift and all my friends would like one so I need the name.

potato fire

kitchenelf said:
I don't know what this could be either. There are these vessels
031231.jpg
for cooking potatoes but I am not familiar with a cay one that sits on TOP of the stove.

You're not thinking of a tagine are you? Or possibly a tian? But I don't think that's used on top of a stove - I think it's used in an oven.
:rolleyes: No its not a tagine which I never heard off as its clay and never needs washing. The potato tastes like its been cooked in the coals but without the charcoal, I have one which I love. I was a gift many years ago.

You piqued my curiousity so I went to Google and did a variety of searches with waterless, clay and potato cooker as some of the key words. I got some hits. They didn't look to me like what you are looking for, but you might try that.

potato fire

this is my potato fire, what do you think? Does anyone know where i can get another one? i can not find one anywhere

Attachments

• DSC_1036.JPG
    DSC_1036.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 327
That is a really interesting contraption. Your post piqued my curiousity (my wife LOVES potatoes) and I did a lot of research, but couldn't come up with anything. I trust you have looked closely at it and haven't found a brand name - sometimes they are fairly small and in odd places (under lid?).

That's similar to a pot a friend of mine bought a while back - but it goes only in the oven, not on the stove top. Hers had small handles on both sides and was like a small french 'Marmite' with a tightly fitting lid. Hers was made by a local potter in Scotland. She just calls it a potato baker!

I have seen that pot in Mediterranean kitchens before but I never knew it was used for potatoes, the hostess was cooking rice in it. If all else fails try getting a fire hardened pot and a piece of asbestosite for a heat deflector. I don't know if this will work but it might be worth a try.

I have used terracotta planters to bake potatoes and veggies in in the oven, I don't think it would stand up to the stove top tho. If you try any clay product please make sure it is certified 'lead free'.

we have had 3 of these all bought as gifts now we are on our last one iand we can,t find one anywhere

I remember my mother and grandmother used a stovetop
'Potato Baker' - but this was made of metal - a covered
pot similar in shape to the picture in the post.

A substitute for your ceramic pot might be a Chinese
'Sand' pot which is enamelled inside and which the
Chinese use for cooking rice with meat on the stovetop.

Go here GourmetSleuth - Chinese Clay Pot Cooking
to learn about them - they only cost 5$ or so.

No this one is a very fine clay pot. It does not have any name or marking of any kind. It is the same as the one in the photo except it may be a little lighter and redder in colour. I am willing to send it for a nominal cost plus postage.:angel:

No this one is a very fine clay pot. It does not have any name or marking of any kind. It is the same as the one in the photo except it may be a little lighter and redder in colour. I am willing to send it for a nominal cost plus postage.:angel:

Hi Goodcooker

I realize it is not the same pot described in the original post
I was only suggesting a possible substitute.
I have used these Chinese Sand Pots on the stovetop
for cooking rice and they work fine - I'm sure they
would work for cooking potatoes too, and, they are
widely available.

That is a cute little pot. I have used the sand pots and tagines for year but always thought that there must be some liquid in the pot or it will crack with the heat. Would love to bake potatoes on the stove top instead of the usual nuked. Has anyone here actually baked them in a sand pot on the stove top? I'd appreciate the timing and prep instructions.

That is a cute little pot. I have used the sand pots and tagines for year but always thought that there must be some liquid in the pot or it will crack with the heat. Would love to bake potatoes on the stove top instead of the usual nuked. Has anyone here actually baked them in a sand pot on the stove top? I'd appreciate the timing and prep instructions.

You may be right - I never used them 'dry' either -
will ask a few people here.

Back
Top Bottom