"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-24-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Potato fire

can anyone help with the real name of a clay waterless potato cooker, it sits on top of stove and I think it came from Europe somewhere.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Master Chef

I can't - never heard of such ... but it does sound interesting. Since "on the stove top" means it's only being heated from the bottom .. and it's waterless ... would be most interested in learning more about it.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:27 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I don't know what this could be either. There are these vessels for cooking potatoes but I am not familiar with a cay one that sits on TOP of the stove.

You're not thinking of a tagine are you? Or possibly a tian? But I don't think that's used on top of a stove - I think it's used in an oven.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I've seen pottery and clay dishes with closed lids which cook jacket potatoes in the oven - but would think that a clay dish on the stove top, whether electric or gas, would be a recipe for disaster!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I've seen pottery and clay dishes with closed lids which cook jacket potatoes in the oven - but would think that a clay dish on the stove top, whether electric or gas, would be a recipe for disaster!
I also think that you can't use clay on stovetops, just in the oven. LeCreuset makes a strange-looking enameled unit especially for stovetop use, but I don't know if it works for potatoes.
http://www.tagines.com/pd_le.cfm
Old 05-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

potato fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I can't - never heard of such ... but it does sound interesting. Since "on the stove top" means it's only being heated from the bottom .. and it's waterless ... would be most interested in learning more about it.
This clay pot never need washing and tastes like a potato cooked in the coals without the charcoal. I have one which was a gift and I need the name for my friends to buy one
Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

potato fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I have one which I love. This clay pot never needs washing and tastes like a potato cooked in the coals without the charcoal. this was a gift and all my friends would like one so I need the name.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

potato fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I don't know what this could be either. There are these vessels for cooking potatoes but I am not familiar with a cay one that sits on TOP of the stove.

You're not thinking of a tagine are you? Or possibly a tian? But I don't think that's used on top of a stove - I think it's used in an oven.
No its not a tagine which I never heard off as its clay and never needs washing. The potato tastes like its been cooked in the coals but without the charcoal, I have one which I love. I was a gift many years ago.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
Sous Chef

You piqued my curiousity so I went to Google and did a variety of searches with waterless, clay and potato cooker as some of the key words. I got some hits. They didn't look to me like what you are looking for, but you might try that.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

potato fire

this is my potato fire, what do you think? Does anyone know where i can get another one? i can not find one anywhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1036.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	49