"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Pressure Cooker

Should I get a pressure cooker? What are the benefits? What would or could I cook in it?

Old 04-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have a pressure cooker that my Mom passed along to me. It's absolutely ancient, but works perfectly. I don't use it all that often, but I do pull it out to make stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage, sometimes for a pot roast (although I usually use my slow cooker for that), and also for corned beef and cabbage. It's great in that the food does cook super fast and really can't be ruined, i.e., the meat is always very tender. Some people have told me they are afraid of them, thinking they might "blow", but I've never had a problem, just can't leave it alone while the pressure is building, and then you just cut back on the heat for the stated cooking time in whatever recipe you are using. If you can find a reasonably priced one, I would say go for it, as I think it definitely is an added plus in the kitchen.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Master Chef

My mom, too, passed on an old pressure cooker. I don't use it often because it's pretty large for the two of us, and I've gotten out of practice. But it was a staple in my house growing up, and I think Mom still uses one at least weekly, probably more often. But we have a large extended family I don't live near now. When I did, it was a lifesaver for last minute meals ... Boiled potatoes in particular were a family staple that were often done in the pressure cooker, as were basic stews. I had a Cuban freind who used to make a custard/carmel desert in the pressure cooker (can't remember what it's called!!!). But the old explosion problems have been factored out of the newer models, and although people are still afraid of it, I can't remember it ever happening to Mom, although she did emphasize over and over again when I was young, that you checked the gasket (I think gone in newer models? Don't know, never owned one) often and never touched the lid until you'd properly cooled the pan (always tested the valve at the top first).
Old 04-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Head Chef

i have a new pressure cooker,that i use sometimes for cooking meats that take time,like beef etc,it works perfectly,the food is cooked in minutes,and its delicious,the beef is sooooo tender...i'd say go for it! its a timesaver and perfect if you are cooking for a larger number of people!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

I have a SEB pressure cooker that a dear friend got for me from Paris. It's fabulous. It is safe to use and reduces cooking time of everything (especially beans and meat) by half. If you cook veggies in it the time will be reduced even further. Mine also has a steamer basket and you can steam veggies in it in a 1/4 if not less of a time than a traditional steamer.

I am not a huge gadget fan but this is one utensil that absolutely cuts my cooking time by half if not more.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Master Chef

What Yakuta said.

I love my pressure cooker!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #7

My mom had one, and so do I.

I just never got up the courage to try to use it. I have a horrible memory of me at about age 5, being in the kitchen when my mother's pressure cooker exploded.

I am afraid of pressure cookers.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via AIM to eric Send a message via Yahoo to eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I just never got up the courage to try to use it. I have a horrible memory of me at about age 5, being in the kitchen when my mother's pressure cooker exploded.

I am afraid of pressure cookers.
We must be related. I'm afraid of those things too. I need a 12 step program to re-introduce myself to one.

eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thanks for the input guys! Im going to get it!
Old 04-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #10

You are a brave man Sushi!

A braver person than me....