Pressure Cooker Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark J

Assistant Cook
I have been considering buying a pressure cooker for a long while. I see there are two basic types: stove top and electric. If someone can outline the advantages and disadvantages to each style I would greatly appreciate it.

Take care,

Mark J.

Never had an electric one, Mark. I've always had stovetop ones. One of the advantages of the stovetop ones is that the pot can be used for other non-pressure cooking purposes. I like to use things for more than a single purpose. For 30 years I used a Revere Ware pressure cooker. I mourned its demise. Nothing wrong with it. I just couldn't get replacement gaskets, etc. Now I have a Kuhn Rikon one I love. I've been pressure-cooking food for almost 50 years and just like the stovetop method. That's just my opinion. No doubt you will get many more comments. Just be patient.

Last edited:
I've used both, and can certainly appreciate Katie E.'s comment about multiple uses. Last time I moved (and downsized possessions), I got rid of my stove-top pressure cooker, and just kept the smaller electric one (Revere Ware - they no longer make it). It's a wonderful item, and I love using it because it is so easy. Takes all the guesswork out of the process. But...I will never be able to get replacement parts when I need a new gasket, etc., so may end up buying another stove-top model eventually.

I am an old man that has been cooking and using a stove top pressure cooker for years,
but I have never have even heard of a eletric pressure cooker, what company`s make
them? and how much is the price range? You would think I would have some time in my
life seen an advertisement of them or maybe seen them at sears or wal mart. that sure
blows my mind.

For me, personally, the biggest drawback to anything electric is, to paraphrase Emeril Lagasse, "I don't know where you get your electricity, but where I get mine, it's a LOT more expensive that natural gas."

The electric model I am looking at is from Cuisinart. It costs about $150 and is a 6 1/2 quart model.

Since my range is electric the cost is electricity is not a concern.....actually I would assume the electric model is probably more efficient.

The big advantage I see to the electric one is I can have it on the side and not take up one of my burners (I only have 4). What I do not know is the difference in performance, cleaning, etc.

A big thanks to everyone that has helped so far.

Take care,

Mark J.

I just looked at the Cuisinart product on their website, and it looks like a great product. All of my Cuisinart products are excellent (14-cup food processor, coffee maker and electric fry pan). At 6 quarts, it is pretty good size, but be aware that you cannot fill it up more than about 2/3rds full for pressure cooking. It has a removable cooking pot, which is nonstick - a real plus. Temperature settings appear to be precise, eliminating any anxieties you might have about pressure cooking. I'd love to have one!

Never had an electric one, Mark. I've always had stovetop ones. One of the advantages of the stovetop ones is that the pot can be used for other non-pressure cooking purposes. I like to use things for more than a single purpose. For 30 years I used a Revere Ware pressure cooker. I mourned its demise. Nothing wrong with it. I just couldn't get replacement gaskets, etc. Now I have a Kuhn Rikon one I love. I've been pressure-cooking food for almost 50 years and just like the stovetop method. That's just my opinion. No doubt you will get many more comments. Just be patient.

Ditto on that one, Katie E!

I've always used stovetop ones as well. Never knew that Revere made them though.

I have two, both are SS. One (Fagor) is out of service awaiting new parts such as a new handle and gasket. Just never had the money to do it yet.

I also have a Kuhn Rikon (7-qt.). And unlike the Fagor and others before it, this one does not hiss. But I STILL love the Fagor! I bought that one at the New England Home Show around the mid '90s

My mom had a 6-qt. SS Presto that she used for many years. And like yourself, I, also, have used one for many years. My first one was also a Presto SS 4-qt. model. It got stolen.

Cook's ran a test of pressure cookers three years ago. I've attached the article as a PDF file. They declined to include electric models, as they felt they wouldn't allow for enough control.

They liked the Fagor Duo best, although other Fagor models are lower priced. The Fagor Elite is widely available at reasonable prices. I'm actually thinking of getting one of the Chef's Design models; they come with glass lid and steamer tray, which are extras on the Fagor. iKitchen has some good prices.

Attachments

• Pressure cookers (Cooks Illustrated).pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 194
Reference cleaning - if you don't have to clean the electric one that's what I would get :LOL: OK, I know, not funny.

All I can say is no matter which one you prefer you will LOVE your pressure cooker! Mine gets used at least once a week. I have a WMF (stovetop), I think 7 quart. It's my version of a microwave!!!!

I started out with a Russell Hobbs 8 quart electric pressure cooker. It failed under warranty--3 times! It was great when it worked, but it didn't stay working very long. I returned it for a refund, and purchased a Kuhn Rikon 7 liter turn top model, which works beautifully on my stove top. Couldn't be happier with it! It's much more versatile than the electric one was. I like that the top has lines that clearly indicate the pressure level--no guessing by how often it "hisses". It operates almost silently unless the pressure is too high, then it hisses a bit to tell me to turn it down. I like the turntop model because you can pull up the top to release the pressure--no standing there holding the valve down with a wooden spoon. I use it at least once or twice a week. You can make stew in half an hour that tastes like it's been simmering all day long. Dried beans can be done in 25 minutes with no soaking, if you've soaked them, 15 minutes will do it. My husband calls it "The Blaster". Can't recommend it highly enough!

Cj

Wise choice!!;)

I own the same model. The thing that I especially like about it is that it does not make that hissing noise like most units do!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom