"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I was wrong. The two books I have by Lorna Sass do not say anything against electric PCs. I think I was thinking of Miss Vickie who recommends against electric PCs and my Thai cooking instructor who recommends against electric woks (OT I know, but just showing the stuff that had me confused - the reference is in the last paragraph).

Old 06-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks a lot for posting that Russell.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Presto pressure cookers, older stainless steel ones, a 4 qt. and a 6 qt., with jiggle pressure regulators. I use them often. Chili, pork shoulder, stews, roasts, pressure frying chicken (oh, yes, you can!), brown rice and lentils with hard vegetable to serve with fish, usually, and more delicate wokked veggies, black beans Cubano. Stock, as mentioned...and something I discovered in the Black Rock Desert, at 4,000 ft. You gotta have one for dried beans, or they come out like buckshot. I take the 4 qt. with me for Burning Man. Want a fast meal? Throw in some water, salt and jasmine rice and a boil in bag Indian entree from Trader Joe's. As soon as the regulator starts to dance, remove from heat. When the safety seal drops, everything's done. Quick entree for two.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Do be careful with frying. Most pressure cookers are not designed to handle it. Here's what Miss Vickie has to say about frying in a PC.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I have the instruction booklet from Presto, and the chicken-frying directions are the only ones I strictly adhere to. Boom! Just kidding...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I leave the pressure-cooked fried chicken to the "Colonel." In my book, I'll never be able to top his!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I leave the pressure-cooked fried chicken to the "Colonel." In my book, I'll never be able to top his!
DITTO DITTO DITTO - a pressure FRYER is a different animal and the lid actually bolts down. Don't even think about frying chicken this way!

The only thing I can tell you Vita is that you are going to LOVE it! The first time you use it just play with a chuck roast. Use part beef broth and water, add some carrots, onions, and celery and cook that baby! I like mine falling apart so I always cook mine longer than most. I would go for 1 1/2 hours. I know that seems long for a pressure cooker but trust me, it falls apart and is wonderful!

Just be sure and make some mashed potatoes to go with it!

Know how to get it up to temp and then how to hold the temp so it's not totally on high or you'll lose your liquid via steam. Know what the quick-release method is and how to properly do it so you don't get burned.

You'll love it!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Cook

Thanks for all the great comments. As soon as I get the instructions I can't wait to try it out.
The thing that attracted me to the electric versions was a presentation I saw of a brand new on that just came out by Wolfgang Puck. The problem is that it's so new it has no reviews. So I am waiting awhile to see the reviews of this one. Meanwhile, I will get my feet wet on my mom's used one. Like I said it's a T-Fal (all stainless) not a Presto like I thought before I pulled it out. It's probably from the 80's or the early 90's. I wrote the company asking for the directions so hopefully they will still have them.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Vita...does it have a weighted gadget that sits on top with different weights on it - should be 5#, 10#, and 15#?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #20
Cook

If you are talking about the T-Fal then it looks like this one: http://www.t-falusa.com/tefal//datab...MN9E3L6CP5ERP8

Those are the instructions to the newer version of what I have.