Pressure cookers - advice/feedback, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom had a pressure cooker that you had to run under cold water. I was always afraid of that beast. I think I'll like my new Fador one. I could use it because after I get home from work I like to chill for a bit with a couple of beers and then I have water changes to do in the fish room. It will be a joy to be able to cook a tasty meal in only 20 minutes and not have to get by on leftovers or what I can scrounge. Heck, just yesterday I opened a can of corned beer hash for my only meal of the day. With the new pressure cooker I won't have to resort to doing things like that during the week.

That sounds tasty Liz..:LOL:

If I didn't get Sunday dinner started early enough, I always turned to my Presto Pressure Cooker. The one with the jiggling valve. I never had a failure. More and more any big meals were done in that. It served me well. I wore out two gaskets. Never had to take it to the sink. Just removed the valve and let out all the steam. Little by little as kids started to leave home, I used it less and less. Today living alone, I don't eat enough to be able to give myself a reasonable excuse to buy one. But I still miss having one. :angel:

I had a Power Pressure Cooker XL really liked it but I move to much and stay in small places. Gave it to a co worker and his wife loves it.

Friend of mine has an instantapot. He really likes it and the price was good. Says he uses it at least once a week.

They do tenderize what you put in them, but i think they take the flavor of what you have in, and the flavor is now in the liquid.

I'm having a terrible day with no end in sight. I could use a corned beer right now.

I could take care of you, dear. I have a fridge full of beer (4 different kinds) natural substances, and a real point cut corned beef in the oven. I promise. You would leave here in a good mood.

I could take care of you, dear. I have a fridge full of beer (4 different kinds) natural substances, and a real point cut corned beef in the oven. I promise. You would leave here in a good mood.

Thanks for the offer but I'm in the north east. :(

Thanks for the offer but I'm in the north east. :(

Well, since there is no corn beef in sight for you, how about some chocolate. That always puts anyone in a really good mood.

;) But what really caught my eye, was that you are wishing to having a corned beer. That sounds rather interesting. You may have the beginnings of a new micro beer. :angel:

Last edited:
They do tenderize what you put in them, but i think they take the flavor of what you have in, and the flavor is now in the liquid.

I haven't found that to be the case. Much of what I have cooked in it has been soups, stews and braised meats where the "liquid" is the sauce or broth served with the meat; the pressure seems to infuse the flavors in the liquid into the meats and veggies. Polenta was perfectly cooked in 15 minutes with no stirring; ordinarily it would take 45 minutes to cook with frequent stirring necessary to prevent scorching.

Also, hard-boiled eggs and cheesecake are perfectly cooked in a short time, on top of the trivet that came with the machine, with water in the pot to provide steam for pressure. There are a lot of recipes for "pot in pot" cooking that use that method, so you're cooking something in a shorter time but the extra liquid for create steam is not part of the food.

I really love mine for after work cooking with slow cooker results. Last week I did spare ribs, 35 minutes under pressure they were almost fall apart tender. I just sauced them and finished them off under the broiler.

Beef stew, pork ragu, anything that gets a long braise works really well.

Mine is electric and like Gotgarlic, I like that I can press a button and not have to deal with regulating heat and such. It's also almost silent too!

I'm definitely going to mess around with risotto to see if I can get satisfactory results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom