Pressure cookers - advice/feedback, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no experience with electric pressure cookers so I can't advise you with your choice. I've always had the stovetop variety.

After my trusty Revere one of over 40 years service bit the dust, I bought this Kuhn Rikon set. Love, love, love it, especially since I have the option to use the smaller pan when I'm not pressure cooking a huge quantity. The smaller vessel is perfect for the two of us.

I paid nothing near what this set shows on Amazon. I bought the set quite a few years ago directly from Kuhn Rikon when they offered a special "deal" that also included free shipping. I've never been sorry.

Here's ATK's review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCUKA7dDUs

I just bought their best buy at Macy's - $83 through tomorrow. I had an issue with the first meal I cooked with the Fagor, but afterwards realized it was operator error. I didn't have the lid on all the way. If it's just a tiny bit short, it won't lock. I didn't realize that the latch didn't go in all the way. I'll know better next time.

I have a gas stove, which makes the stovetop PC more appealing (instant on / off).

Thanks, Garlic. It's obviously better than the one I was looking at. The 5 qt one is only $98. I like to go small because I only cook for myself and never ever cook for more than two.

Here's ATK's review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCUKA7dDUs

I just bought their best buy at Macy's - $83 through tomorrow. I had an issue with the first meal I cooked with the Fagor, but afterwards realized it was operator error. I didn't have the lid on all the way. If it's just a tiny bit short, it won't lock. I didn't realize that the latch didn't go in all the way. I'll know better next time.

I have a gas stove, which makes the stovetop PC more appealing (instant on / off).

Oh my. I have to re-think. I don't necessarily want a huge bunch of functions. I mostly want something basic that does one thing well. Her first choice, the heavier one, is out of my price range. I can handle her second choice. I like that she told me why larger is better than smaller when it comes to pressure cookers. I also like that you do it on the stove top rather than it being electric. Less stuff to break.

I have a gas stove, too, but I wanted an electric pressure cooker because it regulates itself. Once I get the food going and set the cooking time, it brings itself up to pressure, cooks, and then automatically switches to "keep warm" and releases pressure naturally. If I want to release pressure quickly, I just move the release valve.

I've read that to quickly release pressure with a stove-top model, you have to run it under cold water. I'm really not into that ;)

Macy's has the Fagor 6 qt. Duo (the size Beth Hensperger recommends) for $75 through tomorrow. It's the best price I've seen.

Actually she recommended the 8 qt one, so that's the one I bought. I just ordered it. Thanks so much. I saved a bundle and will be getting a good piece of equipment.

I have a stove top PC and I can quick release from the pot handle. I never take it to the sink.

My PC risotto turned out pretty good

img_1464932_0_a26ea2c31785a89de0032b159cf2ff90.jpg

My mom had a pressure cooker that you had to run under cold water. I was always afraid of that beast. I think I'll like my new Fador one. I could use it because after I get home from work I like to chill for a bit with a couple of beers and then I have water changes to do in the fish room. It will be a joy to be able to cook a tasty meal in only 20 minutes and not have to get by on leftovers or what I can scrounge. Heck, just yesterday I opened a can of corned beer hash for my only meal of the day. With the new pressure cooker I won't have to resort to doing things like that during the week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom