"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Actually, I think there IS a potato peeler that looks like the apple peeler. I think I've seen Emeril use one on his show.
I really wasn't thinking "peeler" per se - just saw a butter curler and it wasn't working in my brain.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
... I was going to post the link, but it seems that Presto has stopped making it. ...
No problem corey ... Google is our friend to finding several links for pictures and descriptions of the Presto Electric Potato Peeler.

There is also the Rotato Express Electric Potato (vegetable) Peeler and if you have a DeLonghi stand mixer you can get a 5 or 7 qt potato peeler attachment.

Quote:
Actually, I think there IS a potato peeler that looks like the apple peeler. I think I've seen Emeril use one on his show.
There are a couple of different brands - here is just one: the Back To Basics Apple and Potato Peeler

Quote:
... I ended up needing the manual peeler anyway because the machine does not get out the eyes. ...
Not even the professional models (costing over $1,000) do that! You can either peel 'em and cut the eyes out by hand - or peel away enough of the 'tater to get down below the level of the eyes ... what a waste of good potato flesh!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
No problem corey ... Google is our friend to finding several links for pictures and descriptions of the Presto Electric Potato Peeler.

There is also the Rotato Express Electric Potato (vegetable) Peeler and if you have a DeLonghi stand mixer you can get a 5 or 7 qt potato peeler attachment.

There are a couple of different brands - here is just one: the Back To Basics Apple and Potato Peeler

Not even the professional models (costing over $1,000) do that! You can either peel 'em and cut the eyes out by hand - or peel away enough of the 'tater to get down below the level of the eyes ... what a waste of good potato flesh!

Oh. You found it! Haha!! Good job! Thanx!!

I think Emeril was using the wind-up one. He made carrot curls.

But I honestly don't think that this was worth the money. And I don't think that I can return it because it was on a clearance sale at Macy's.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
And I don't think that I can return it because it was on a clearance sale at Macy's.
Put it on e-Bay, where the famous P.T. Barmun quote is proven mulitple times, every single day.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #25
Executive Chef

So that they can make me the laughing stock on that website? No thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #26
Master Chef

Bloomin Onion maker anyone?? LOL. I used it maybe a couple of times and it has been sitting ever since, so I know how you feel Corey. I think most everyone on here has ended up with a gadget they regretted, in fact I think we had an entire thread devoted to em!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Yeah.

Even that piece-of-junk the Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer is junk!! Thought at first that it might be one of the best inventions to come along in years, but it's now not the case.

Yet I STILL have to buy another one because half of the fridge's freezer is filled with the bags, and I have to be able to re-vacuum seal the bags if they are not completely emptied so that the remaing food that's in them won't spoil.

These two items should have been better off being left where they are - on the store shelves!!

From now on, I'm NOT going to rush out and buy any more of these so-called modern kitchen conveniences unless it's something that I've tried and liked before!

One of the reasons that I don't watch any of those aggravating & annoying paid programs. That stuff is mostly junk!!

Paula Deen did her Blooming Onion with a chefs' knife and it came out just as good.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
... From now on, I'm NOT going to rush out and buy any more of these so-called modern kitchen conveniences unless it's something that I've tried and liked before! ...
Humm ... got a call into my bookie in Vegas ... based on your past history, I'm waiting for the odds to see just how much I bet.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Humm ... got a call into my bookie in Vegas ... based on your past history, I'm waiting for the odds to see just how much I bet.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, so I hope that you're ready to lose.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #30
Head Chef

Corey, I don't get you.

Corey, what you're saying is you have to buy another box of bags or a whole new handi-vac?

I too have to buy another box. But that's because I don't use the bags
effeciently. One reply poster says to wrap your goods in plastic wrap, then
handi-vac them. That may work or not work depending on the irregular shape of wrapping them first (air will still be trapped inside a saran wrap "pre-wrap" before handi-vac.

However, this all being true or not true, this device is not a piece of junk.

While Reynolds says the handi-vac bags aren't meant for refrigerator storage,
I find that it's immensly valuable using them as such. Even more so than for freezing.

If you use the handi-vac qt. bags for things like freezing chicken or pork or beef that you'll eventually use over the next 4 -5 weeks, then, using the hand-vac isn't economical (price per bag wise).

However, I now find that I can handi-vac scallions, avocados, onions, cheese, celery, etc. and easily re-seal/vacuume them and they are so much easier than
Foodsaver (cutting them open and re-vacuuming them). Handi-Vac works like a champ in the fridge, despite what Reynolds says.

As for freezing? Dig this Corey. Buying 4 lbs of expensive fish market tiger shrimp.
It's a ****-uv-a lot easier and cheaper to slightly thaw this gotten slab of frozen devained tiger shrimp, put them 5-8 in a Handi-vac bag and store them for later in the freezer to go along with a steak, than it is to haul out the FoodSaver.

What I have to remember is this. Don't use the Handi-vac bags for shrinkwrapping short term freezer items you know you will use up in a month or so. Tight Saran wrap will do just as well.

With the newly better designed bags that don't leak, and that fact that they retain their vacuume for many produce items in the fridge....
And the easy to open and vacuume again, they rock.

FoodSaver is just left wondering..."how do we campaign against this product." We could crush tin cans with our product, Reynolds sucks air out of bags just as well and is 100 times cheaper.

$3.99 after instant rebate for the Reynolds suction unit, and very reasonably priced bags.

Foodsaver just lost the market. Watch how many informercials you will see now about FoodSaver. Not many.