"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #31
Executive Chef

In a nutshell;

The vacuum bags in use can't be re-vacuum sealed without the machine if I open them and don't use the entire contents of the bags. The food will dry out and spoil.

If it's not a piece of junk, then why on earth did it stop working for me so prematurely - and with NEW batteries?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
In a nutshell;

The vacuum bags in use can't be re-vacuum sealed without the machine if I open them and don't use the entire contents of the bags. The food will dry out and spoil.

If it's not a piece of junk, then why on earth did it stop working for me so prematurely - and with NEW batteries?

Corey..what foods? Dig this. Reynolds doesn't stand by using these bags for other than suck and freeze.

I've 3 times opened a previously shrink wrapped handi-vac bag of cut scallions and resealed them. Still now they are shrink wrapped.

Cheese. I've shrink wrapped a cut cheese block and opened it 3 times and shrunk wrap it back. No leakage.

In fact, Corey, besides storing for longer times (shrimp to go along with steak), my experiences for re using handi-vac bags for refridge are proving to surpass my expectations.

Scallions when re-sealed HOLD their vacuume. Same with cheese.

Reynolds didn't expect refrigerated vacumed bags to hold their seal for veggies. THEY DO FOR A SURPRISINGLY LONG TIME.

Not only do they hold their initial seal, but do so after opening and re-vacuuming.

I still don't understand what your gripe is. What foods are you referring to?

Shrink wraps and re-opens/reseals...re-vacumes a cheese slab and scallions and avocado.

Corey, not saying you are dumb, but either you got a bum unit or you don't know how to use this gadget.

This is from a long time FoodSaver user. Who needs that kinda commercial suction? It's all about the bag and the contents and the air being drawn out. Why have air drawn out to the point it crushes a soda can?

Overkill. FoodSaver can't explain that.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Corey..what foods? Dig this. Reynolds doesn't stand by using these bags for other than suck and freeze.

I've 3 times opened a previously shrink wrapped handi-vac bag of cut scallions and resealed them. Still now they are shrink wrapped.

Cheese. I've shrink wrapped a cut cheese block and opened it 3 times and shrunk wrap it back. No leakage.

In fact, Corey, besides storing for longer times (shrimp to go along with steak), my experiences for re using handi-vac bags for refridge are proving to surpass my expectations.

Scallions when re-sealed HOLD their vacuume. Same with cheese.

Reynolds didn't expect refrigerated vacumed bags to hold their seal for veggies. THEY DO FOR A SURPRISINGLY LONG TIME.

Not only do they hold their initial seal, but do so after opening and re-vacuuming.

I still don't understand what your gripe is. What foods are you referring to?

Shrink wraps and re-opens/reseals...re-vacumes a cheese slab and scallions and avocado.

Corey, not saying you are dumb, but either you got a bum unit or you don't know how to use this gadget.

This is from a long time FoodSaver user. Who needs that kinda commercial suction? It's all about the bag and the contents and the air being drawn out. Why have air drawn out to the point it crushes a soda can?

Overkill. FoodSaver can't explain that.

1. The same foods that you'd put in the Food Saver bags.

2. That's good. It's supposed to do that.

3. That's good also.

4. I didn't suffer any problems with that either.

5. The problem wasn't with the food at all.

6. That's good, also.

7. Then why did it work faithfully for four months straight with no problems at all, then after that, suddenly go sour and not suck the air out at all?

8. I, also, am a long-time Food Saver user. Just bought the more advanced unit in February.

The two that I had in the past had broke down prematurely.
The heating strip was the culprit behind the bags losing their vacuum seals.
Then the strip had stopped working altogether.

But I think this one has many improvements over it predecessors. Improvements HAVE been made to it.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #34
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Bloomin Onion maker anyone??
I went for the Egg-stractor instead. I have too may gadgets that I bought or was given as "cooking gifts" from well meaning friends and family.

I'm beginning to really appreciate Alton Brown's mantra - the only single-purpose item in your kitchen should be the fire extinguisher.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I'm beginning to really appreciate Alton Brown's mantra - the only single-purpose item in your kitchen should be the fire extinguisher.
Nah. If it's a CO2 fire extinguisher, you can also use it to chill the wine.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #36
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Nah. If it's a CO2 fire extinguisher, you can also use it to chill the wine.
Now that is true multi-tasking!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Eggstractor????
Is that the one that blows the air into the hard boiled egg, or the one that uses tap water?
I tried to buy the one that blows air into the egg a couple years ago and the sales tactics turned me off, so I didn't. Looked kinda nifty for the price, but they kept trying to sell me a bunch of other crap. I guess they figured one piece of crap wasn't enough
At any rate, I hard boil fresh eggs all the time without any of the "tricks" and don't notice any noticeably harder to peel eggs....

BTW, I still use the Reynolds Handi-Vac I purchased last fall, too. Same batteries that came with it even
Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #38
Master Chef

Site Moderator

It was the one with air. You had to poke a hole in the end of the shell then put the egg in this accordion-like plastic thing. Should have known better, but it was 4.99 at the discount store. Those places are the worst for separating a person from their $$.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Gee, That was the one that looked like it worked so well on TV......