Presto multi-cooker/steamer - guidelines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilbertnl

Assistant Cook
Hello there,

Recently we purchased a Presto® Kitchen Kettle™ electric multi-cooker/steamer.

I'm very excited about this and I'm looking forward to use it on a regular basis.
Until now my favorite appliance is the slow cooker, I also use a wok and George Foreman Super Champ Grill. And the microwave. ;)

The manual comes with some recipes, but I'm still looking for guidelines of how to use it.
Would I be able to 'convert' the slow cooker recipes (Fix it and Forget it Lightly) for the multi-cooker?
Where do I find more recipes or instructions?

Well, Wilbert (said in my best Mr. Ed's voice) IMHO you're over thinking the situation. Instead of thinking in terms of things to convert to this gizzmo - think in terns of what this gizzmo really is - a nonstick coated aluminum 4-6 qt pot with a built-in heating element that is thermostat controlled and a temperature range from Warm to 400ºF. It's basically the same thing as a comperable (size/material) pot used on a stove top burner! So, for the most part, if you can cook it in one - you can cook it in the other. And yes - although the instructions say not to fry in it you can - if you follow the same precautions you would if it was a pot on the top of the stove - don't overheat the oil!

As for the slow-cooker recipes ... sure you can use them in this kettle - you just need to set the temp yourself ... and if you don't mind spending a few minutes more when you get the pot started you can actually have more control than the newer slow cookers offer. Modern slow cookers generally have 2-3 temp settings (Low-High or Low-Med-High) which are higher than the first generation slow cookers, which were much lower and slower and very slow to come up to temp, due to the fears of holding the food in the "danger zone" (40ºF -140ºF) for too long. Again, just like on the stove top - add your ingredeints, bring it to a boil, and turn the temp down to a low and slow simmer setting.

Hope this gives you some ideas and gets you started with your new toy!

IMHO you're over thinking the situation.
You may be right about that, Michael.

It fascinates me that I can use one appliance in so many ways (and stick it in the dish washer too), and since it's still new for me, 'I want to know everything about it'.
The instructions say not to fry? I already used it as deep fryer on New Years Eve and I followed the directions in the manual.

Today I learned that braising is similar to slow cooking, but since the temperature is right below boiling, I guess it would be similar to slow cooking on the high setting?

English is not my native language, I try to create associations with what I know while I read the instructions.

Today I cooked Dutch pea soup (served with the traditional bacon on dark rye bread) and let it simmer for 3 hours. I noticed that I had the temperature just a tiny bit too high, because the soup would start boiling off and on when the pilot light turned on. I lowered the setting a little bit.

Slow cookers don't have that fine tuning and on the stove I would probably have the temperature too low. Other people would prepare pea soup in a pressure cooker.

Anyway, I feel that I'm on my way with the new applicance.
Next time I want to steam a dish in the Presto Kitchen Cooker.

I just bought the "Presto Kitchen Kettle multi-cooker/steamer today. I went to their web site and read all of the reviews. Sounds like it can be a big help in the kitchen. One person said she did her baked potatoes in it. She wash and then dried the potato and wrapped it in foil and cooked them at 425 for 1 1/2 hours. She said they turned out great. She liked that she didn't have to use the oven on her stove.
I was wondering if any DC members have one of these and what you use yours for the most. Thanks for your input. JoAnn

Last night I braised a 2.5 lbs chuck roast.
First I browned it at 350 F. then I added broth and a glass of wine, together with carrots, celery, pearl onions and fresh rosemary. Let it simmer for 2 hours. Then I added mushrooms for another half hour.
The flavor was great. The steak was good, but not 'fork tender', I probably used to much broth. Or maybe I needed more time.
It was my first time braised roast, so I will probably improve in that area. :)

I like it that you just set the tempature, no worries about to hot or not hot enough.

Thanks wilbertnl, they have chuck roast on special at the store this week. I will have to try one in my Presto cooker, I will let you know how it turns out. Did you preheat the cooker at 375 to brown the roast, then add the 2 cups of liquid? I see it then says to add the seasonings and to turn the heat control down until the pilot light goes out? And then to cover and simmer 1 to 3 hours or until tender. JoAnn

We had leftover chuck roast, and I decided to let it simmer another one and half hour. (first I heated the juice to the right temperature, just below boiling, and then I added the three chuck portions) It worked well, the roast was more tender.

Yes, I preheated the pan with a little oil to 350. Then I browned the roast.
I took the roast out and added broth/wine plus vegetables and seasoning. When the mix was boiling I lowered the temperature until the pilot light turned off. At that point I returned the chuck roast.

You want to monitor the pan for a few minutes to make sure that the juice doesn't boil too hard when the pilot light comes on now and then. And check after half an hour again.

I added the mushrooms half an hour before dinner time, just leave them on top and they will get a nice flavor.

Success with your roast, JoAnn!

Last edited:
Yesterday I used my Presto Cooker to make the beef stew that was featured in the instruction book, very good. The only thing I added was an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and a teaspoon of beef bouillon. Today I made a chuck roast ( I cut it into 3 pieces), and I used the 2 cups of beef broth. I cooked it 3 hours and it turned out very tender and tasted delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom