Question about induction cookers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Going from memory here... regarding the Nu-Wave induction cookers or similar... am I correct in thinking that if the unit has a thermostat and you set it for 375F, it would heat cooking oil to that temp and maintain it?

I've never watched an infomercial other than flipping by it, but have probably seen just about everything in the commercial in bits and pieces. And something is telling me they said it would heat whatever was in the pot to the temp the unit is set for. If that's the case it seems it would be handy to use with my deep fryer, since my candy thermometer is no longer readable and it's always been a trick anyway adjusting the gas burner to bring it up to temp quickly, then back it off to maintain frying temps. Providing of course it would work with induction.

There is no "maintain temp" functionality on my Samsung induction range. Works more like a conventional gas burner. Greater the number the higher the heat....cooking by numbers so to speak.

Having used it for over a year now, I know that for certain tasks (maintain pressure cooker presure=4.5) to set the burner at specific number.

I think some of the portable units come with temp controls now, but I could very well be confusing bits and pieces from five different "as seen on TV" appliances, lol.

I should go flip through the channels. It's probably on a couple of them right now.

Thanks Andy. I just Googled it up myself.
It looks like it does exactly what I was describing. I guess I wasn't dreaming.
I need to find some reviews from folks who have used it for deep frying. It would be nice if it works like it should, where you don't need to worry about the oil getting too hot before you add the food, then cooling down too much because you turned the burner down.

Well it looks like the Nuwave is not the one to get.
Too many reviews of faulty thermostats, which is exactly what I would want it for.
Off to look at more...

Heck, when I was a kid, one of the burners on our gas cook top had a thermostat and kept stuff at the chosen temperature.

Heck, when I was a kid, one of the burners on our gas cook top had a thermostat and kept stuff at the chosen temperature.

I had one of those stoves. I remember to get it to memory I had to hear three clicks. Great for long cooking sauces. :angel:

That was before my time, but I remember my parents having one of those burners with the brain on their stove.

That was before my time, but I remember my parents having one of those burners with the brain on their stove.
It was simple thermostat. Gotta wonder why you don't see that any more. I would love to have a thermostat on one or more of the burners on my electric stove.

It was simple thermostat. Gotta wonder why you don't see that any more. I would love to have a thermostat on one or more of the burners on my electric stove.

Well, in reading more reviews, including reviews on the newer Nuwave 2, it appears the thermostat they use is only accurate when using the *free* cookware they offer. So I guess if today's technology can't make an accurate thermostat for a cooking surface unless you use a specific pot or pan, then forty years ago it wasn't any better. I remember my mother saying that the brain did not work on that stove, so maybe it wasn't accurate enough for her or something.

Could it have been that people were moving away from wood cookstoves to modern stoves and the manufacturers figured that most could tell the oven temp by sticking their hand in the oven but probably couldn't do the same for a burner??? Just wonderin' what the thought process would have been to include a thermostat and what the cultural influence driving the industry might have been...before my time.;)

Could it have been that people were moving away from wood cookstoves to modern stoves and the manufacturers figured that most could tell the oven temp by sticking their hand in the oven but probably couldn't do the same for a burner??? Just wonderin' what the thought process would have been to include a thermostat and what the cultural influence driving the industry might have been...before my time.;)
I think it might have been a "Jetsons" thing. Lots of stuff from the mid '50s to some time in the '70s was "futuristic". Remember the fins on cars that were supposed to make you think of rockets?

The one we had seemed to work really well. I would spend time watching the flame go up and down as something cold was added to a pan or it came to temp. And the flame would "run around the burner" when it was just maintaining the temp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom