"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Head Chef

kobefn, I acquired my KitchenAid nearly 20 years ago. Before that, I baked hundreds of dozens of cookies using a less expensive stand mixer (maybe an Oster - don't remember) to cream the butter and it worked just fine. Unless you want to make bread (or divinity, but that's another story), your Sunbeam should work fine for creaming the butter and sugar for cookies. If you decide to step up a bit, you may want to check eBay for a more vintage KA - since Hobart stopped making them (they are now manufactured by Whirlpool), the quality has possibly suffered.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Smile

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time and read my question and answer back. thanks so much.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #13
Executive Chef

You're welcome.

Supposedly, the quality is still there, accoding to Whirlpool.

The mixers were shown being made once on an episode of Unwrapped on the Food Network. But nevertheless, I'm keeping my original Hobart-made K-45SS.

But I wish you good luck with making your cookies. And I hope that your Sunbeam mixer holds up. It should.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #14
Head Chef

Me too, Corey. A friend came over to visit our house for the first time last night and said to my husband, "Jerry, if anything ever happens to Karen, can I have the KitchenAid?" They are almost impossible to find here - saw a new one at Puerto Vallarta Costco last week for the equivalent of over $600. I'm really glad I shipped it down here!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #15
Master Chef

If your Sunbeam mixer is working just fine - use it! You don't have to go out and buy a specific brand mixer just because some TV cooking demonstrator used one to make a particular thing on TV. KitchenAid is one of the sponsors for Alton Brown's shows (and a lot of others), I've seen Paula Deen use an old Sunbeam mixer (like you are describing) before - and Gale Gand used a Hobart N-50.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
If your Sunbeam mixer is working just fine - use it! You don't have to go out and buy a specific brand mixer just because some TV cooking demonstrator used one to make a particular thing on TV. KitchenAid is one of the sponsors for Alton Brown's shows (and a lot of others), I've seen Paula Deen use an old Sunbeam mixer (like you are describing) before - and Gale Gand used a Hobart N-50.

Sara Moulton also used the N-50 on her cooking show Sara's Secrets.

Paula Deen also used a K'Aid Stand Mixer a few times as well. Emeril used to use a green one on his show Emeril Live. He uses one on Essence.

Alton Brown also has one on his show - with a flame-shaped yellow on it. There's a red one on Down Home With the Neelys. And those FN shows where contestants do bake-offs and cook-offs they use the bowl-lift ones.

There's also one on Barefoot Contesa. Seems the machine is widely used almost everywhere.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:23 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Funny - I don't even notice the brands of appliances and gadgets the TV chefs use And since I discovered no-knead bread, it would never occur to me to buy a mixer specifically for making bread. No need, since it's no-knead! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old 06-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Funny - I don't even notice the brands of appliances and gadgets the TV chefs use And since I discovered no-knead bread, it would never occur to me to buy a mixer specifically for making bread. No need, since it's no-knead! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Haha!!

That was a good one, GG! I just had to laugh because of it.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
Head Chef

Seems to me that if your mixer will turn your dough without bogging down, you can make cookies. Sometimes I get hung up on new equipment, then I remember the best bread I ever ate was made daily with a hand turned mixer, the best corn bread made in a CI skillet which was probably my great great grandmas. Knives were so dull and old that I would not use them to open cans. Somehow my grandma got by, and she cooked for the fieldhands daily - on a corn cob stove.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
Executive Chef

My favorite was theParkerhouse dinner roles.

They came out so deilish and yum-o!! I mistakingly sold the cookbook that the recipe is in, and now the thing is awfully hard to find, since it was a Family Circle cookbook!

But the rolls were oooooohhhhh sooooooo warm, good and sweat. I have to try to find the recipe ine one of my other cookbooks and try to mimick the recipe!

I used to pile the rolls up in an Angel Cake (10-inch tube) pan, let them rise and bake them in a hot oven at about 425 degees for about 30 minutes.

And the K-45SS is perfect for making and kneading the dough! I used to knead it twice with the mixer between risings.