"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question about mixers need help ASAP

I wanted to make some homemade cookies and I would like to knew what kind of mixer I should use? Right bow I have a sunbeam mixer its an older one with the glass bowl the spins. Or should I go out and buy a kicten aid one before makeing the cookies? thanks for any help.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

What kind of cookies are they? I don't have a stand mixer, just a hand mixer, and I make cookies occasionally. You may not need a mixer at all, depending on the type of cookie.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
If your Sunbeam is working, it should do fine with cookies.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I wanted to do the ones from goodeats its chocolate chip cookies I want to make.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Use your Sumbeam. If it works, you've saved several hundred dollars. If the Sumbeam doesn't work, buy a KA.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Any KitchenAid model or the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000.

They are both very good, but the K'Aid Stand Mixer might be more within your reach moneywise. The EA is a bit steep, costing over $500.

That is if you ever have to replace your trusted Sunbean Stand Mixer somewhere down the road.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Any KitchenAid model or the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000.

They are both very good, but the K'Aid Stand Mixer might be more within your reach moneywise. The EA is a bit steep, costing over $500.

That is if you ever have to replace your trusted Sunbean Stand Mixer somewhere down the road.

Bread wasn't mentioned, so I wouldn't think the DLX (Electrolux Assistent) is justified - and for cookies, the main reason for the mixer is creaming the butter, which to be honest I find to be a bit more work in the DLX than in a standard mixer.

Personally I'm wary of KA with their quality control issues over the last few years. For those who want a smaller, less expensive mixer my current recommendation is the Bosch Compact. It costs less (under $200) and takes less space than the KA and many dealers are offering great deals on it with accessories included. While I haven't played with it personally, I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the machine.

I've been tempted to get a Bosch Compact myself for things like cookies, etc, but my gf keeps reminding me of our limited kitchen/storage space. I'm only allowed to get new kitchen stuff if I get rid of something similar - and I'm not giving up my DLX for anything! (If she hadn't made that rule, I'd probably be one of those appliance collectors, with multiple mixers, FPs, stick blenders, etc. I replaced my KA with the DLX when I got into bread baking)
Old 06-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I forgot to mention it, but yes, the Electrolux Assistant DOES HAVE THE POWER TO KNEAD BREAD DOUGH. It can knead dough recipes using up to 5lbs of flour in one batch.

It excels in doing this, and has been trusted for many, many years as a dough maker.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Oh, I didn't mean that you should have mentioned it. I meant that it didn't sound like kobefn was going to be using the mixer for bread, and that bread was the big justifier for spending ~$500 for a DLX.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Oh, sorry. But all of the K'Aid mixers can do that as well, as you know.

It's been quite a while since I made bread dough with mine. I used to do it all the time with the K-45SS.