"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #31
Executive Chef

That's been a real revelation to me, keltin. I seriously thought, based on the names of pots and pans, that I would need a particular pot to make the corresponding food. ie: paella pan to make paella, etc. Then I got to thinking, all cookware from a particular line will be made of the same materials in the same way, except of course non-stick lining or not. Just the dimensions and lids and handles vary. Obviously some pans lend themselves to making particular dishes more easily. But in a pinch, you can most things in any kind of pan as long as it will fit and you can do what you need to it (room to stir, swirl, lay out in a single layer, cover it, stick it in the oven).

Old 10-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
And, when you buy All-Clad or Calphalon, you are not only paying for your pan, you are also paying for every pot and pan they give to television chef's, free fer nuthin, to use on their programs, so you can't win unless you buy no-name brands, which is exactly what I did. I bought Le Gourmet Chef's tri-ply stainless line, first receiving a 7 piece set as a birthday gift, then filling in whith other pieces over the years, for about 1/3 of the price of All-Clad, and, quality-wise they are every bit as good, with the same no-nonsesnse guarantee. Yes, they are made in China, but, so was Kwai Chang Caine!
very smart decision, imho. I was reading All-Clad's blurb about their "history," and wondered why I would want cookware to pass down for posterity?

Restaurant supply stores will gladly sell to home cooks, in case anyone didn't know that.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
That's been a real revelation to me, keltin. I seriously thought, based on the names of pots and pans, that I would need a particular pot to make the corresponding food. ie: paella pan to make paella, etc.
Terry, interestingly, most of the pans sold in US as "paella pans" are not at all like what is used in Spain. They use a thin steel flatbottomed pan that is very wide and shallow. Material is a lot like a wok.... and the reason for this is that the rice is supposed to end up "crisp" on the bottom... form a crust. With most of the so-called "paella pans" I've seen, that result would not be possible.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
They call this a sauté pan, but I consider this style to be a fry pan. It’s $500 for the 6 Qt model!
Now THAT place, William-Sonoma is grossly overpriced. I did see an awesome chrome Italian espresso machine there, though.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

I can't comment on the whole Rachael Ray line, but I do have the cast-iron dutch oven (which I won in a sweepstakes) and I love it!! It's great quality and well-designed.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I haven't seen RR's cookware in stainless steel yet.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'd go with the porcelain for a change from my Calphalon. We have her plastic, heart shaped bowls, plates and cups, pot holders at our grocery store. Maybe I'll get them for Spring.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #38
Executive Chef

I own two of her hard anodised large oval-shaped pots and a porcelain-enamaled blue oval-shaped Dutch Oven.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #39
Master Chef

We have Revere Ware, stainless steel with copper bottom. We get looked down on a lot for owning it, but if you had seen what we were using before, it is a huge improvement.
We have been using it for 6 years, and DW maintains it meticulously as well as all my iron skillets. We have had no problems with it so far, and it still looks new and in great shape.
The best part? She worked for World Kitchen before becoming a Professional Gardener and they gave it to her for free. They get tons of samples from all over the place and from all kinds of manufacturers. In addition to tons of bake ware, measuring cups, measuring spoons etc we also got a complete set of Chicago Cutlery.
There was some other stuff they were going to give her as they are always trying to pawn off the samples (they had so many they were stacking them everywhere in the office), but they ended up having to put it in a locked closet as it came from China and they found it it contained lead.
If money were no object I still don't think I would go with something just for names sake, I would be more interested in consumer reviews and warranties as well as versatility and ease of use.
As for Roxys purchase of RR cookware, if she is happy with it, then I am happy for her as well and congratulate her on a purchase that apparently has brought her some joy.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Ok, I DID see RR's SS cookware today on her morning show. She was making........., something.