"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #41
Master Chef

RR's cookware is made in China, too, so a lead test might be in order.

Someone here posted a thread about having his enameled cookware tested and one piece came out very high, as I recall.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Oh. I wasn't planning to get any of it.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
We have Revere Ware, stainless steel with copper bottom. We get looked down on a lot for owning it, but if you had seen what we were using before, it is a huge improvement.
We have been using it for 6 years, and DW maintains it meticulously as well as all my iron skillets. We have had no problems with it so far, and it still looks new and in great shape.
The best part? She worked for World Kitchen before becoming a Professional Gardener and they gave it to her for free. They get tons of samples from all over the place and from all kinds of manufacturers. In addition to tons of bake ware, measuring cups, measuring spoons etc we also got a complete set of Chicago Cutlery.
There was some other stuff they were going to give her as they are always trying to pawn off the samples (they had so many they were stacking them everywhere in the office), but they ended up having to put it in a locked closet as it came from China and they found it it contained lead.
If money were no object I still don't think I would go with something just for names sake, I would be more interested in consumer reviews and warranties as well as versatility and ease of use.
As for Roxys purchase of RR cookware, if she is happy with it, then I am happy for her as well and congratulate her on a purchase that apparently has brought her some joy.
I have Revere ware too, with the copper bottom. I inherited it from my mom and some from brother in law. I mostly use the pots , I didn't care for the frying pan, food tends to stick too much in it even with oil or butter.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #44
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
I bought Rachael Ray's cookware yesterday and bought the stainless steel..so happy that I did too:) It is great:)

Well, it's been a few months and things have quietened down. How do you like your set? And all that really matters is how you like them and how well used they are by you, and not by what anybody else says or thinks. If it works for you, so much the better. Personally I've got a set of Chef's Essentials from QVC that I love, but I bet people would take exception to that too, but it works for me and that's all that counts. I got a set for my Mother also, and she loves hers; and in turn my brother took a liking to them and he's got a set too. I wouldn't mind expanding (say a dutch oven by Le Creuset maybe), but that will have to wait until I have the funds for it. My mom has one that she loves to use, so maybe I could 'con' her into getting me one for birthday or Christmas this year.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I have Revere ware too, with the copper bottom. I inherited it from my mom and some from brother in law. I mostly use the pots , I didn't care for the frying pan, food tends to stick too much in it even with oil or butter.
We have the same problem with the extra large frying pan. But, I hardly use it anyway as I prefer my iron skillets. If I do use it, it will be for something that takes low heat to cook or has sauce in it.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Someone said "what's up with the orange handles" on the RR set ... orange is RR's fave color, and I believe they have that silicone gusto grip on the handles. So that's the deal with the orange, it's her "signature."

Congrats Roxy on rewarding yourself, you worked hard to save up and you deserve it -- what a wonderful feeling!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
We have Revere Ware, stainless steel with copper bottom. We get looked down on a lot for owning it, but if you had seen what we were using before, it is a huge improvement.
We have been using it for 6 years, and DW maintains it meticulously as well as all my iron skillets. We have had no problems with it so far, and it still looks new and in great shape.
The best part? She worked for World Kitchen before becoming a Professional Gardener and they gave it to her for free. They get tons of samples from all over the place and from all kinds of manufacturers. In addition to tons of bake ware, measuring cups, measuring spoons etc we also got a complete set of Chicago Cutlery.
There was some other stuff they were going to give her as they are always trying to pawn off the samples (they had so many they were stacking them everywhere in the office), but they ended up having to put it in a locked closet as it came from China and they found it it contained lead.
If money were no object I still don't think I would go with something just for names sake, I would be more interested in consumer reviews and warranties as well as versatility and ease of use.
As for Roxys purchase of RR cookware, if she is happy with it, then I am happy for her as well and congratulate her on a purchase that apparently has brought her some joy.
Only 6 years?? I don't have anything near that young... I wouldn't part with some of my old stuff.... Some of it purchased at flea markets/second hand shops. If your careful, you can find some fine cookware cheap!!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Well, Maverick, your Revere Ware is just a babe in the woods compared to some of ours. We have many pieces that are more than 30 years old. They look and perform just like new.

Our Revere Ware is held in as great esteem as our Le Creuset, Calphalon, etc.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #49
Master Chef

Hey, as long is it was good I wouldn't toss it either! Most of what we used to have was given to us as gifts, and mostly non-stick (the cheap variety). As they began to flake we tossed em. It got to the point that the only thing we had were our iron skillets, which are very old. The Revere Ware came at just the right time for us.
We do have some old pieces other than the iron skillets, including DWs bread pans, the waffle iron, and an enamel omelet pan. The only non stick outside of bake ware that we have now is DWs double boiler, and that is getting due to be tossed as well.
I will probably replace it at the same time as I replace my wok, and hopefully with ones that are not non-stick.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
keltin,
In case you are still looking for All-Clad. Williams Sonoma stores got a new All-Clad line called LTD2, therefore the existing LTD is on sale.
I saw a set of LTD All-Clad (7 pieces I think) brand new in the box for $299 from $500 something. Check your local WS if you are still interested, perhaps you can find some pieces, or get the SKU number and do an on-line check at the store for availability.