"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 AM   #51
Executive Chef

I think Chefs has it also.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #52
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Maverick2272 and LadyCook61,
Information about your SS frying pan, in case you will ever use it for eggs: If you heat it up thoroughly -not extremely hot, just evenly hot- before pouring oil or butter, you will hardly get eggs or an omelette to stick to.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #53
Executive Chef

I'm a crazy cookware fiend. Some folks collect model trains, I collect pots and pans. I can't go into a store or mall without checking out housewares to see what they got.

In my 50 some years I have bought "average stuff" (enameled and tefloned carbon steel ...the handles came off...cooked ok if doing a simple dinner) and great stuff (French and Belgian copper) and I've researched the hows and whys.

Let's not blame promo items to FoodTV for the high price of AllClad. Let's understand first rate ingredients, union labor, and fair trade practices. By first rate ingedients I mean pure aluminum, properly mixed magnetic stainless steel (so the chrome doesn't leech out) pure copper (in those models that use it).

Do pans made in China or other parts of Asia contain lead? Some have been found to. But that's not the only issue. Cheap enameling will chip off and the metal under it will rust. Cheap pans (even thick ones) will warp under "normal use" let's not even worry about extremes.

Try ply and bi metal is a process of sandwiching different metals together under great heat and pressure. If the metals are impure or the conditions not ideal the end result can come apart or bubble. Quality control in American and Europe throws those on the seconds pile or the scrap heap. Not so in many Asian countries. I sent 3 different Mario Batali pots back for pits in the enameling and simply wont waste my time with such poor metallurgy again.

Buy what you like, and be happy with it. A fine meal can be made in very average cookware. Much restaurant cookware is basic plain aluminum or carbon steel allowed to get black from carbonization of oils. My mom, a great cook, with the exception of a Griswold spider and chicken fryer and a second Cruset french oven had crap for pans and never thought of replacing them.

Many people will benefit from my pan collection after I'm gone. I put a link to an auction of cast iron ware form the early 1900s up today. In a few decades my stuff will no doubt be up for auction too. The worst problem with really fine cookware is you never have to replace it...and I have more than I can use...so I don't need to buy anymore ever again...boo hoo

gonna start collecting who knows what next! lol
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #54
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Robo410,
Adding to your comments, I would not put all Asian countries in the same bag.
Japan quality control methods and statistical analysis has been superior for making instruments, from electronics to automobiles. They developed most of their own technology as other countries but technologically newer countries like China have been provided with the technology but not all the appropiate elements to control it or use it correctly (China is probably the biggest counterfit place in the entire world).

Unfortunately, most corporate America and consumers don't care much about this; all they want is cheap things to sell and buy by the truckloads.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #55
Executive Chef

thanks for pointing that out wysiwg. made a slight correction to my post
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Maverick2272 and LadyCook61,
Information about your SS frying pan, in case you will ever use it for eggs: If you heat it up thoroughly -not extremely hot, just evenly hot- before pouring oil or butter, you will hardly get eggs or an omelette to stick to.
Thanks for the info!