Range replacement advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief, you didn't mention that not all pots and pans will work with an induction cook top. The rule is if the bottom of the pan won't hold a magnet, it won't work.
Good point. That's a good and easy rule. I think the pots have to have nice, flat bottoms too - no wobbly old pots that work fine on gas.

Good point. That's a good and easy rule. I think the pots have to have nice, flat bottoms too - no wobbly old pots that work fine on gas.

Or if like us you still have some of the old Corningware that is designed for both oven and stovetop. Or like my father-in-law still has, Visions glass cookware.

Gas definitely keeps one's options open. :)

Lots of thoughtful comments here and I've had a lot to mull over but have made some choices. After several days of reading reviews and window shopping online I went to the local appliance places to ponder in person. I thought I wanted one thing but in the end changed my mind and got something else.

I was looking at dual fuel ranges but eventually opted for a full LP range as they are significantly cheaper and I think will fit my needs. I've also ordered a new hood to go with - needed because of the extra heat that will have to be vented. There was a long list of contenders but the short list was a DCS five burner and a moosey Thermadore 4 burner. I ordered the Thermadore and it should be here in a couple of weeks. It's fairly simple and looks like it will be easy to clean. Nothing fancy - no digital pad, no clock, no timers, reminders, it doesn't talk to me, send info to my phone, there are no cameras, no temp probes, no built in spit.... it it just cooks. Fast and hot. Hopefully this will be the last range I ever have to purchase (which is important because I'm now broke...) ;)

Thanks for your feedback on this thread - it caused me to think hard about some options I hadn't considered.

Janet,

I'm in the market for a new range, too. I will have to go electric as we cannot afford to have the house switched over for natural gas in the kitchen. Have about settled on a low-priced LG carried by Home Depot...they deliver and install.

Janet,

I'm in the market for a new range, too. I will have to go electric as we cannot afford to have the house switched over for natural gas in the kitchen. Have about settled on a low-priced LG carried by Home Depot...they deliver and install.

Having it delivered and installed is a big deal. The selection process is difficult. I want to actually USE these things before I plunk a pile of cash down. Sadly this is just not an option. Getting advice however was really helpful. As an example - a neighbor of mine has an LP cook top and noted that her lowest burner setting was not really low enough for a true simmer - she cautioned be to be sure to check on this when choosing and sure enough a number of the models I was initially considering had this same issue - no low btu burners.

I called a local appliance repair place and asked about repair rates and general costs across brands and got some interesting answers. Both LG and Samsung were on their list of low repair rate ranges. Interestingly one model I was seriously looking at was an Electrolux Icon and they strongly urged me to keep looking as it turns out this entire line was recently discontinued (the local dealer failed to mention this).

Can't wait to have a working oven again and a vent to go with. The digital board on my current range controls the oven, the downdraft vent and all the lights. I can use burners but nothing else. :chef:

Janet,

I'm pretty happy with my Samsung from Lowe's, been using it for about 6 years now and it does everything quite well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Or if like us you still have some of the old Corningware that is designed for both oven and stovetop. Or like my father-in-law still has, Visions glass cookware.

Gas definitely keeps one's options open. :)
For aluminium or non-metallic cookware, you can buy an induction burner adapter from Amazon.com

Home appliances

You can get your ranges replaced with the AGA ranges which could be suitable for families who has got limited time in taking care of such things. Such ranges have got a 2 radiant ovens built in with extra hot plates so as to bake or make things at the same time. A small family can also go in for a AEG range which would also be suitable for the family but then it would be less friendly than the other. I have got a AGA range at my house which was bought about a year ago while my old range stopped working due to sum issues though it was not much used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a new DACOr dual fuel. I looked very hard at induction but once I understood the "rulebook" (things you cannot do), I went with the dual fuel. I have a lot of cast iron so no issue there. Pans need to be very close to the sizes of the "burners". The killer for me is you can't bridge burners as I use cast iron grill plates often. Most of the models I researched say that if you use one side on full power, you cannot use the other side on full power. I do not have these restrictions on the dual fuel. My decision was based on listing what I do the most in the kitchen and that lead to a list of features.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom