"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Head Chef

Recommendations for a Deep Fryer

I have always resisted getting a deep fryer. The little one someone passed on to me years ago had only one setting, never held a consistent temp. took too long to come back to temp, was awkward to clean. Finally went in the dustbin.

So I've used pots since and they do a very good job. My only complaint is the smell. Even with cleaning up as soon as the oil cools the whole house smells like a fryer for days.

Question: will a fryer with a lid help to lessen the smell significantly? thereby making it a reasonable purchase?

Does anybody have any suggestions to lessen the smell, or recommendations on a type of deep fryer that might fulfill my requirements?

Old 08-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef

It still smells up the house. I placed mine on a cutting board on the stove and then vented it with the range hood. That helped a bit.....do you have access to outside? Get a small table and an extension chord and deep fry outside...That's what I do now. Just a cheap fryer, it comes apart for easy cleaning... best arrangement so far...

Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I had a electric deep fryer with a lid. It died and I switched to a pot full of oil with a thermometer. I have a vent over the stove that I keep on full blast while I'm frying. Then I cove the pan when I'm done.

The pot on the stove is a better solution for me so if there's a smell I'll live with it.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef

If you get a deep fryer with a filter in the lid it will minimize the smell, but it won't eliminate it. I have an Oster deep fryer at home and a Cuisinart in the Amoretti Test Kitchen. I prefer the Cuisinart because you have a choice of one large basket or two small baskets, which makes it more versatile.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
Head Chef

Thanks guys! I appreciate your answers.

As suspected, I might as well stick with my pot and thermometer.

Monies saved can go to yummy goodies to put in the pot!