"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Sous Chef
We settled on a Kenmore 22.5 ft model, French door bottom freezer.

30% off ... what can I say?

This is an important point: we looked at Samsung, GE, LG,and so on, it seemed all the larger units came with a "party drawer" or deli drawer, a full width drawer 4 to 6 inches tall and full depth, on the bottom of the refrigerator area.

This drawer didn't seem like a bad idea till we realized the drawer pulled out only half way meaning the drawer would have to be pulled out to get to things shoved to the back (not like we aren't known for growing fuzzy stuff already), that BOTH french doors would have to be opened to even open the drawer (allowing allot of cold to escape). ....

In short I can see where that bottom drawer could become Land of the Lost.

When we stood back and saw the amount of space that 'deli drawer' took up in the bottom of the 25 foot unit VS the amount of room that drawer wasn't taking up in the 22.5 foot unit, for us at least, the functional volume of the two units were close (enough) to the same.

As a side note, I thought our present refrigerator an 18 foot unit. I came across the owners manual, it's a 15 footer. !

When we realized how small our present refrigerator is and how it's suited our needs going on 14 years going larger than 22 feet would seem unnecessary. almost greedy.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
and the ice tastes funny. My friends have ice machines and they think their ice tastes funny too. And they're right. I get my ice in bags.

Amana 24 cu. ft. is what I have. White, stainless is too hard to keep shined.
I had funny tasting ice too from the internal ice maker, so now I only make enough ice for 2-3 days, what doesn't get used goes in the sink, and I make a fresh batch for the next 2-3 days. It works out for me, ice does not taste funny anymore.

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Our ice maker is connected to our whole house water filter. So, it's like using bottled water for ice. Also, after a few days, I dump the cubes and start all over. I am happy to say that our ice does not have that nasty, stale taste.
Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Sous Chef
The ice makers coming out.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote