Refrigerator Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Yes, that's right. The fridge quit fridging Thursday as far as I can guess, and I discovered it Friday evening when I started to fix dinner and the frozen french fries weren't. Frozen that is. I checked the icemaker and it was half full of liquid ice.... also known as water. Some of the stuff toward the back was still frozen, or at least frosty, so I immediately started transferring to the freezer in the garage. Everything that was relatively fragile in the fresh side was already beyond safety. Some things like condiments and salad dressings the like were still cool, so I moved them out to a shelf in the garage (the only good thing about it being winter). I tossed 4 kitchen can size bags of stuff out. :(

Today (Saturday) I headed to Home Depot and bought a new fridge. The next time you hear from me I may be divorced. I was unable to consult with She Who Must be Obeyed before making the purchase (She is currently in Thailand on a 2 week scuba diving trip and out of touch until next Friday). I did get approval from her father, and she almost always agrees with him, so maybe I'm safe. A prayer wouldn't hurt. :angel:

Anyway the new one comes on Tuesday, so I'm eating from the freezer, cupboard/pantry, and restaurant until then.

I'm sorry to hear you lost so much food, RP. Hopefully SWMBO will understand you had to do what you had to do. I'd love to come home to a brand new slate fridge. :)

Last edited:
We had a similar incident a few months back.
The new fridge is only a few years old, and relatively expensive.
So when I opened it, and saw the light off, then opened the freezer, with no light and signs of melting, needless to say I wasn't very happy.
Its under warranty, but still a pain in the butt to deal with.
Suddenly , I had the idea ' what if its not the fridge, but the outlet it is plugged in to'.
So i slid the fridge out, unplugged it, and then plugged a working lamp into the outlet. Didn't work!
Plugged the fridge into a different outlet, worked !!.

Called the electrician. $125 later, problem solved.

Luckily we didn't lose and food, but did transfer everything to the fridge / freezer in the garage.

The most important thing, is this was the first REAL cleaning the fridge got in about 3 years. Its amazing how much crap we accumulated. After tossing what we didn't need, and only putting back what we do use, it amazes me how empty and clean the fridge looks now.

At first, I thought it was a fluke, but its been a few months already, and the fridge is still relatively empty and uncluttered.

Good luck with the new fridge :)

We had a similar incident a few months back.
The new fridge is only a few years old, and relatively expensive.
So when I opened it, and saw the light off, then opened the freezer, with no light and signs of melting, needless to say I wasn't very happy.
Its under warranty, but still a pain in the butt to deal with.
Suddenly , I had the idea ' what if its not the fridge, but the outlet it is plugged in to'.
So i slid the fridge out, unplugged it, and then plugged a working lamp into the outlet. Didn't work!
Plugged the fridge into a different outlet, worked !!.

Called the electrician. $125 later, problem solved.

Luckily we didn't lose and food, but did transfer everything to the fridge / freezer in the garage.

The most important thing, is this was the first REAL cleaning the fridge got in about 3 years. Its amazing how much crap we accumulated. After tossing what we didn't need, and only putting back what we do use, it amazes me how empty and clean the fridge looks now.

At first, I thought it was a fluke, but its been a few months already, and the fridge is still relatively empty and uncluttered.

Good luck with the new fridge :)

I have to admit that I found a few things that needed disposal anyway.

My problem was not the power though. Everything was working fine except that there was no cold. The compressor was dead, and that repair is typically about 1/3 the price of a new fridge. This refrigerator was 14 years old (I think it was original when the house was built in 2002 - we've only been using it for a little over a year), so not really worth putting that much investment into it.

What brand and style Rick? I love the slate color and I bet she'll be thrilled!

It's a GE side by side, one step lower than the Adora line. I didn't have a lot of choice. All we have here is Sears and Home Depot, and the Sears store is pretty bad. I had to take something HD had in stock or wait 10 days for delivery. 90% of what they had were the newer style French doors and we hate a bottom freezer, so they were out of the question. Most of the rest were stainless, and my wife does not want that, so it wasn't an option either. As it is this one will barely fit in the spot where it has to go, with just 1/8" clearance on each side.

The only appliance we couldn't get in the slate Adora Line was the fridge, but I'm happy with the black Maytag bottom freezer. You did good if she doesn't want stainless, I didn't either. You're safe. :D

Today (Saturday) I headed to Home Depot and bought a new fridge. The next time you hear from me I may be divorced. I was unable to consult with She Who Must be Obeyed before making the purchase (She is currently in Thailand on a 2 week scuba diving trip and out of touch until next Friday). I did get approval from her father, and she almost always agrees with him, so maybe I'm safe. A prayer wouldn't hurt. :angel:

I hope your just kidding as I would hope no man nor woman would be this concerned to make a decision without consulting their spouse in this situation.
Obeyed? How silly can that be.
And I don't feel sorry for you because you teach people how to treat you.

Maybe you should go scuba diving or do you need permission for that too? :rolleyes:

I hope your just kidding as I would hope no man nor woman would be this concerned to make a decision without consulting their spouse in this situation.
Obeyed? How silly can that be.
And I don't feel sorry for you because you teach people how to treat you.

Maybe you should go scuba diving or do you need permission for that too? :rolleyes:

Don't be rolling your eyes at me. You can't get a joke when you read it? Guess I should have added #sarcasm for the comprehension impaired.

I know many of us have read things too literally sometime or another. It's hard to de-cipher what is seen-read vs how it is being said-read. Now me, I can hardly take myself seriously, so how do I expect anyone to believe any thing I say.

I kind of have my eye on the new frig's with French doors. Not that I need a new one right now. I am a little concerned about the bottom freezer. What if I fall in. What if I go freezer diving and can't get up off the floor again. Now that is a real concern. what if the cat jumps in and I don't notice. I already have to double check the dryer before closing the door. Other than that, I think I would like the top half.

Whiska, think of it as kitchen yoga ;) All that bending is good for your back. My cats jump into all kinds of things, but never the freezer. And mine is so full, I couldn't close it with them in it anyway :LOL:

My cats jump into all kinds of things, but never the freezer. :LOL:

We once had a cat named Earl who found his way into the freezer. It a good thing I happened to open it up or we'd have had catsicles. ;)

My Fridge craped out recently. Luckily the demo we're doing had a fridge the same size as mine so I scored a new one for free. :mrgreen:

Just have to figure out how to get it upstairs. I'm not as young as I used to be. :neutral:

Reminds me of the time that one of our neighbors had a refrigerator failure, and had a refrigerator wake. It was summer time (grilling weather). All of the meat was partially thawed (still safe), so it was a neighborhood party.

Great idea, Tenspeed, a fridge wake! Thankfully RP had his "outdoor" freezer. There are advantages living in the Great White North in the winter.

Another issue I had once with my freezer, is that too much Ice built up blocking something ( I'm not an expert so I have no idea what it was.

Anyway, repair guy came, explained the problem, sat there with a hair dryer on it for about 15 minutes. $150 later, good as new.

Great idea, Tenspeed, a fridge wake! Thankfully RP had his "outdoor" freezer. There are advantages living in the Great White North in the winter.

Colorado isn't quite the "Great White North". I know, cause I grew up there, north of St. Paul MN, and also lived 9 years in Montana (I saw 45 below for 3 nights running in 1969, and 30 below every winter I lived there) before moving to the temperate climate of Colorado (I don't think it's been below about -10 in the 43 years I've lived here, and even that is very rare outside of the mountains).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom