"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Maybe my opnion is biased, having worked for GE, but I didn't work in the appliance division.

I'd stay clear of any GE appliance. Part of this goes to my knowing GE's business practices internally, but the other part is hearing those that have GE appliances have nothing but complaints about them. My in laws had a townhouse built for their retirement. Fully stocked with all GE appliances. They don't have an appliance they did not have a problem with that I am aware of. Washer, drier, icebox, stove, and microwave.

Kenmore has always been good stuff. My folks had Kenmore products, including appliances, when I was young. The only gripe with Kenmore is they are the only ones that can service their appliances, and where you can get the parts from. Now, maybe some places are starting to get parts, but they are buying them from Sears/Kenmore, who is for sure marking them up to the other companies. I like Kenmore, but hate the fact that Sears is the only place to get parts, service, and accessories.

We've got a Frigidare (sp?) in our rental town house, and it works just fine. Not sure how old it is, but t'aint new, I know. I've heard good things about Whirlpool as well. Oh, and MayTag, though I don't know if they do refrigeration.

There IS a small GE apartment-size frost free fridge listed at Epinions.com, but one of the members there badmouthed it, saying that her food spoils in it!

GE has changed the design of their major appliances somewhat, over the years. And yes, BigDog, their large appliances leave much to be desired. Their products also have gone down the crapper!

Also, Maytag has gone to crap. Their washers & dryers are not made like they were from the '60s to the '90s. I've seen a bunch of their stuff badmouthed over at Epinions.com! And BTW, they are also contemplating a deal to be absorbed by Whirlpool.

Frigidaire is pretty decent with their refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners, but their washers, dryers and dishwashers are all crap as well!
And I haven't found anything in their size fridge I'm looking for.

Kenmore seems to be the brand that I most likely would end up getting. My compact portable washer / dryer pair and the microwave oven are all Kenmore products.

But be very careful when choosing their smaller front-loading washers and dryers and their low-end diashwashers. These are Frigidaire look-alikes, which means that they are made by Frigidaire - hence those models are crap, the ones that are more than likely to be particularly troublesome.

Buy a top-loading mid priced Kenmore instead.

Whirlpool (also makes most Kenmore home products) is good I've seen a Kenmore look-alike model of the fridge I'm interested in at Best Buy. Whirlpool also makes
Estate, Ingels, Roper and the elite KitchenAid.

~Corey123.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

corey, did you drop or crack the refrigerator?

if so, it could be leaking freon, in which case it could be dangerous. you could get cancer from breathing in freon. the guy that created refrigeration died from it...

(i hope andy and michael don't read this.)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
Executive Chef

How would it be leaking freon if it freezes up produce?

In any event, I'm going to replace it sometime this spring or summer.

~Corey123.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Maytag seems to be loosing its reputation quickly. Kenmore seems able to adapt to today's needs and climate. just my experience.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Maytag is one of the manufacturers that makes refrigerators for Kenmore. They contract with several manufacturers to provide various models with different features.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #16
Master Chef

Not sure about all of the GE appliance but I'd stay away from refrigirator for sure.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I think this is how it goes with Kenmore;

Whirlpool, Maytag or Amana makes the elite high-end to mid priced Kenmore refrigerators, such as the the SBS'S, TF's, FD's ane BF's.

Frigidaire makes the intermediate TF models, while Danby or Heier makes the low-end frost-free & manual defrost models.

Same thing with the freezers, washers & dryers.

But still I think I'll go with a Kenmore fridge, since I've had good reliable service with all their appliances. Oh, and one of my room air conditioners is also a Kenmore.

Maytag's products are all crap.

~Corey123.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Corey:

Kenmore has consistently been a solid performer with kitchen appliances. Their stuff gets consistently good ratings.

I have a Kenmore upright freezer, washer and dryer that are trouble free for 7 years so far.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
Master Chef

We recently bought a new refrigerator, and I consulted with a friend of mine who is an applianace repairman. He's seen them all, and here is his advice:

Don't buy a side-by-side....they cause more trouble than any other.
Spend the extra money and buy an Amana.
Bottom freezer drawerr is best.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #20
Executive Chef

But I reside in a small apartment on the top (4th) floor and the stairs are narrow, with makes getting a BF impossible, much less very expensive. The landlord who lives downststairs just replaced his old fridge last summer and had to settle for a 14 cubic foot model for himself and his 14-year-old son.

Also,I'm presently unemployed and living on unemployment benefits until I complete the training coarse I'm in and get a job. As it is, I'll have to dip into my IRA account in order to get some money for this new fridge.

The old fridge could go any day now. Don't want to be caught with spoiled food.

~Corey123.