Refrigerator temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I think maybe I need to be looking for a new fridge. It seems that no matter how far down I turn the temp dial, things stay very cold. I had some celery and lettuce that froze on the middle shelf. Is this a sign that things are going to go on the fritz soon? The dial is rated 1-7 with 1 being warmer and 7 being colder. I have it set on 3 and I'm still getting things freezing in the refrigerator.

Have you called a repair man, or do you really want a new refrigerator? Sometimes this problem will occur if your refrigerator door is not sealing properly, sometimes the thremostat ceases to function properly, and sometimes it's something that has never happened to me.

So, if you really want a new refrigerator, go buy one. If not, call a reapir person. If money is short, Home Depot usually has a fridge or two that have been hit by a fork lift at a pretty good discount.

Could be the thermostat. Could need a defrosting. Sometimes, even if you have something covering, or leaning against the thermostat sensor it may not take an accurate reading and send the compressor the wrong info. Like Sir said, could be the seals also. Could be a few different things.

Last edited:
My refrigerator never kept good temps. I can't wait to put it out of its (and mine) misery. Even the fan motor has been replaced 3-4 times... and it's only 9 years old. They can never find anything else wrong with it when they replace the motor, which I've seen done enough times I'll probably do it myself next time. Or just buy a new one.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have DH check the thermostat and if need be we can call a repair man. Not financially ready to buy a new fridge since we just bought new washer/dryer and freezer 6 weeks ago!

Mine does that. At least once a year we notice it is starting to do it again. In my case, it's a poor design of the self-defrosting feature. Something gets clogged and ice builds up on the bottom shelf of the freezer (It's got the fridge on the right and the freezer on the left.) I used to call a repair guy. Now I just defrost it and then it behaves itself again, for a while.

Our fridge went "haywire" on us a few months ago...maybe like 8 mo's or so. We went through Craigs List, & got a pretty decent deal for a refurbished double-door from some guy in Norfolk that fixed them, then resold them. I honestly can't say that we have ever regretted it...he delivered it, we got a nice fridge, the thing works great, &, it put us out around $250ish if I recall correctly. I think lots of people are shady on CL, but, SOMEHOW, we managed to find a real-deal-legit person. If I can re-find him again, I will be sure to pass it on to you!

I had the same problem two months ago. I got a repair man to fix it. It turned out to be the thermostat. He changed it with a new one and the fridge is working well now.

I had some trouble like that once--a flat lid from a canning jar had fallen down over a vent. So, clean and defrost--might save you some money. (In order to thoroughly defrost, you might have to unplug and leave it open for a couple hours--sometimes ice forms between the freezer and the fridge, where you can't see it.)

I just did a quick search for new refrigerators so I can know if it's worth fixing the one I have. Looks like I could get a decent replacement for under $1000. The French door models are intriguing but definitely not worth the nearly $1000 mark up IMO. We'll try all the advice given here and see what happens. Thanks guys. I knew I could count on someone here to help me out!

Back
Top Bottom