"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Reheating Bread Products in the Microwave

I have seen many people state that you can't/shouldn't reheat bread products in the microwave. From my experience, that is not the case. I extensively use the microwave to reheat pizza, biscuits, pancakes, brownies, bagels, and any other bread product I have had in the freezer. The procedure I use is to sprinkle a few drops of water on the food (in the case of pizza, on the crust only), cover with a plate or other lid, reheat the product on medium level heat for a short period of time, and check frequently for how hot the food has gotten, usually by feeling the bottom of the plate the food is on. I can get bread products to be hot/warm, moist and just like the food came out of the oven fresh. If your bread products come out hard and inedible, you have used too high a heat level in the microwave and heated it for too long. I still generally do batch cooking and use my microwave daily to reheat all kinds of foods.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I just read the same thing here, too, Beth.
I've never had a problem reheating bread products in the nuker either. I thought the microwave was pretty much TNT for bringing stale bread back to life. And my morning cornbread this past week sure hasn't suffered.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I make my own bagels a dozen at a time and eat them three times a week. If I don't freeze them, this wouldn't work. So I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them. When I want a bagel, I pop one into the microwave (1100 watts) for 23 seconds. It comes out soft and warm. I then toast it. Works like a charm.

Hot dog rolls - I moisten a sheet of paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible then wrap the bun(s) and nuke it for 25-30 seconds. They come out like a steamed roll and do not harden. Hardened bread is the result of overheating.

The same thing works for sliced bread. You just have to regulate the time in the microwave to avoid issues.

I prefer to reheat pizza in the toaster oven.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I prefer to reheat pizza in the toaster oven.
If I'm reheating pizza I put two appliances to use, the microwave to heat it and the toaster oven to crisp it back up.
But I really have to be opposed to eating it cold to do that
Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Rolls, bread, donuts...I put in a brown paper bag and heat for 10-20 seconds.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i find that things with fat in them, like brownies or muffins, reheat better at the normally used higher power settings of a nuker.

for "dryer"things like bread, the prescribed spritz of water or wet paper towel works on medium.

we often reheat frozen bagels on medium with good results. but then the best bagels in the world are still pretty good even after freezing and nuking, no matter how bad you treat them.

leftover white rice also needs a spritz of water on the surface.

pizza is a different animal. for best results, i'm with andy. a toaster oven is the way to go. i've tried tjose microwave metal plate heater things, but by the time i find it, pre-heat it, and then nuke the pizza, i could have used the readily accessible toaster oven.
unless i'm impatient, which is often the case. then i just suck down soggy crust and am done with it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Master Chef

Leftover pizza? It's sometimes left over? Who woulda thunk? I've heard a rumor, though, that it reheats best in the micro when put on a paper plate.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Wine Guy

No problems nuking leftover bread, rolls, and bagels, but with pizza the crust tends to go limp. If you have the time and don't feel like pre-heating the oven, leftover pizza can be warmed in a frying pan on the stove top. The crust will come out crispy as can be.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
No problems nuking leftover bread, rolls, and bagels, but with pizza the crust tends to go limp. If you have the time and don't feel like pre-heating the oven, leftover pizza can be warmed in a frying pan on the stove top. The crust will come out crispy as can be.
I use the frying pan method for pizza. I smear a little butter on the bottom and it gets toasted similar to a grilled cheese sandwich. Maybe we could steal a tip from Rocklobster and put two slices face to face for a pizza panini!

I don't enjoy bread heated in the microwave, mine always turns to cement as it cools.

I like to reheat Italian bread or rolls using a wet paper bag in a hot oven.
I preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss the bread in the paper bag and close it. Run the bag under the faucet, toss it in the oven and slam the door. In 5 to 8 minutes the bread is rejuvenated. You must keep an eye on it!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If I'm reheating pizza I put two appliances to use, the microwave to heat it and the toaster oven to crisp it back up.
But I really have to be opposed to eating it cold to do that

I don't often bother reheating leftover pizza either. But when I do, I think an electric skillet works really well. I'm not overly fond of what the nuker does to the toppings.

I have to agree that one can reheat bread products cautiously in the MW with good results.

Tags
bread