"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Yes, please share the story, I would like to know, too. How quickly after he got it did he regret his purchase? Is it the SS he objects to, or does he feel the whole thing just isn't good quality?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`m with Andy.M here too, if the cost is over 50% of the replacement cost, then replace it.

else risk having to replace something else again soon until you spend more on it than the item`s worth in the 1`st place, throwing good money after bad :(

buy a new one and strip the good bits out the old one and keep them as a backup :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
Head Chef

Yeah,
I'm going to replace it. 50% repair cost is just way too darn much.
Thanks to all
Old 03-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #14
Master Chef

A gas grill really doesn't have that much to go wrong with it. What's wrong with it ... and brand/model do you have?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Michael has a good point. I have replaced the burners on some of mine. If the "case" has gone, then, it really is time. But that seems like a lot.
Many many years ago, we had a gas grill that was hooked to the natural gas line--great grill. Eventually it was the case that needed to go and I looked into replacing what had been a reasonably priced grill. By then, they were 'way on up in price so we switched to propane.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Ours is a throw-away society, with nothing, from small kitchen appliances to automobiles, ever made to last. If it breaks, buy a new one, give the old one to charity, and take the tax deduction.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
At what price point do you guys decide if you will repair or replace an appliance? My gas grill is in need of a rebuild. Replacing the worn parts will cost approx $200.00 I'm seriously considering buying a new stainless steel grill from Costco for $399.00.
Where do you draw the line at repair/replace cost?
John, imo, if the warantee is up, and you bought it within the last few years - buy new/replace. Again, imo, most things are built for obsolescense (sp). When the warantee expires, so does the appliance/tv etc. Not worth rebuilding unless it has served you well for years & years. Before you go to Costco & spend $400, I would check out Consumer reports and compare prices etc. - or start a thread here asking input about grills.

Sadly, we live in a throw-away society - nothing is built to last beyond the warantee... and check out how much service repair/warantee will cost.

Caine, lol, we think alike. I'm a little slow on editing. lol
Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
Senior Cook

As a Great American Consumer, disposable is my middle name I happen to believe that "just wanting a newer model" is an acceptable reason for making a purchase, IF you can afford to do so. Besides, it drives the economy! How many of us posting in these forums have remodeled a kitchen, or replaced all their appliances simply because they were "dated," not irreparable? I am not against repairing older appliances/tools if you really love them, or if you know the build quality of a newer version isn't up to par. But sometimes the newer ones are more efficient, lighter, quieter, easier to use, etc., which are valid points to consider as well.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I spent about $400 on my Weber gas grill oh, I don't know, maybe 12 or 13 years ago. It's still going strong but getting to be a bit problematic. The starter switch needs replaced (we figured out how to start in up without the switch tho!) and the grates are getting ratty. This year we will probably replace it with a another Weber just cuz it's been fantastic in every way. So sturdy, nice even cooking, etc. Those grills at Costco/Sam's are tempting tho!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
John, imo, if the warantee is up, and you bought it within the last few years - buy new/replace. Again, imo, most things are built for obsolescense (sp). When the warantee expires, so does the appliance/tv etc. Not worth rebuilding unless it has served you well for years & years. Before you go to Costco & spend $400, I would check out Consumer reports and compare prices etc. - or start a thread here asking input about grills.

Sadly, we live in a throw-away society - nothing is built to last beyond the warantee... and check out how much service repair/warantee will cost.

Caine, lol, we think alike. I'm a little slow on editing. lol

Sometimes things last beyond the warranty period. It depends on the quality, I guess. I own some things that have lasted well beyond the warranty, and are still in good working condition.

Last winter, I threw away a lot of old stuff to make room for the new stuff.
One of those things was a Wearever cookware set. Nice blue color, but it had lost its luster from so many machine washings. The other was a small Panasonic microwave which lasted 13 years. The door's window had cracked and I wanted a bigger one anyway.

Some of the pots had sentimental value. I held on to them for many years and wouldn't let go. A few were the old-timey type, though dull looking, they still cooked food good.