Repair or replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnL

Head Chef
At what price point do you guys decide if you will repair or replace an appliance? My gas grill is in need of a rebuild. Replacing the worn parts will cost approx $200.00:huh: I'm seriously considering buying a new stainless steel grill from Costco for $399.00.
Where do you draw the line at repair/replace cost?

50% repair cost is too high in my book. I'd spring for a new grill well before
i got to the 50% level. As to a specific number, I can't say. A lot depends on the condition of the rest of the appliance and how complex it is and how many other things can go wrong.

Definitely a time to replace. When it costs this much to repair something, it's time to send it to the great bye-bye.

In many cases, the newer items are better and will serve you at least as long as the previous one. Trash what you have and get newer.

JohnL said:
At what price point do you guys decide if you will repair or replace an appliance? My gas grill is in need of a rebuild. Replacing the worn parts will cost approx $200.00:huh: I'm seriously considering buying a new stainless steel grill from Costco for $399.00.

I can tell you this i would not get one of those stainless steel models at are like $400.00. My brother got one and he is sorry for it. I have a weber gensis grill and its worth every penny. For $400 i would definitly get a weber eventhough its not going to be stainless unless you spend a lot more. If you buy a weber and either cover it or put it in a garage/shed it will last for a very long time.

Ncage

Personally, I'd get a new one. Just out of curiosity, how much did your current grill cost?

foodstorm said:
Personally, I'd get a new one. Just out of curiosity, how much did your current grill cost?

Hi foodstorm,
As I remember I paid about $249.00 for it, end of season clearence sale.
That's why the repair cost kinda blew my mind. Replacement parts are very expensive it seems. I had a small so called "Kitchen Aid" food processor(actually made by Whirlpool) that needed a lid for the food bowl. They wanted $32.00 plus shipping for a 5" plastic lid! Oh well, I didn't like the darn thing anyway. It was too small for what I needed.

JohnL said:
As I remember I paid about $249.00 for it, end of season clearance sale.That's why the repair cost kinda blew my mind.

Oh John, then DEFINITELY go buy the new one and don't even give the old one another thought! Happy grilling!:chef:

Yes, on that basis, replace. We had a gas grill that was hooked to the gas line a long time ago. Eventually it fell apart, but by that time, replacing that kind was BIG bucks. So we went to propane. We have had a number of them by now.
Look at Vermont Castings for a real quality grill.

ncage1974 said:
I can tell you this i would not get one of those stainless steel models at are like $400.00. My brother got one and he is sorry for it. I have a weber gensis grill and its worth every penny. For $400 i would definitly get a weber eventhough its not going to be stainless unless you spend a lot more. If you buy a weber and either cover it or put it in a garage/shed it will last for a very long time.

Ncage
Hi Ncage,
Can you tell me what your brother didn't like about his grill?
Lil sis#1 bought her BF one from Costco for Christmas this year and he loves it. It has 3 stainless main burners, 2 infrared burners, (1 under the grates and 1 in the back for rotissorie) and 1 side burner. It looks to be constructed well and he hasn't had any problems yet. But it is new though.
Thanks for your input.

Yes, please share the story, I would like to know, too. How quickly after he got it did he regret his purchase? Is it the SS he objects to, or does he feel the whole thing just isn't good quality?

I`m with Andy.M here too, if the cost is over 50% of the replacement cost, then replace it.

else risk having to replace something else again soon until you spend more on it than the item`s worth in the 1`st place, throwing good money after bad :(

buy a new one and strip the good bits out the old one and keep them as a backup :)

Michael has a good point. I have replaced the burners on some of mine. If the "case" has gone, then, it really is time. But that seems like a lot.
Many many years ago, we had a gas grill that was hooked to the natural gas line--great grill. Eventually it was the case that needed to go and I looked into replacing what had been a reasonably priced grill. By then, they were 'way on up in price so we switched to propane.

Ours is a throw-away society, with nothing, from small kitchen appliances to automobiles, ever made to last. If it breaks, buy a new one, give the old one to charity, and take the tax deduction.

JohnL said:

John, imo, if the warantee is up, and you bought it within the last few years - buy new/replace. Again, imo, most things are built for obsolescense (sp). When the warantee expires, so does the appliance/tv etc. Not worth rebuilding unless it has served you well for years & years. Before you go to Costco & spend $400, I would check out Consumer reports and compare prices etc. - or start a thread here asking input about grills.

Sadly, we live in a throw-away society - nothing is built to last beyond the warantee... and check out how much service repair/warantee will cost.

Caine, lol, we think alike. I'm a little slow on editing. lol

Last edited:
As a Great American Consumer, disposable is my middle name:LOL: I happen to believe that "just wanting a newer model" is an acceptable reason for making a purchase, IF you can afford to do so. Besides, it drives the economy!;) How many of us posting in these forums have remodeled a kitchen, or replaced all their appliances simply because they were "dated," not irreparable? I am not against repairing older appliances/tools if you really love them, or if you know the build quality of a newer version isn't up to par. But sometimes the newer ones are more efficient, lighter, quieter, easier to use, etc., which are valid points to consider as well.

I spent about $400 on my Weber gas grill oh, I don't know, maybe 12 or 13 years ago. It's still going strong but getting to be a bit problematic. The starter switch needs replaced (we figured out how to start in up without the switch tho!) and the grates are getting ratty. This year we will probably replace it with a another Weber just cuz it's been fantastic in every way. So sturdy, nice even cooking, etc. Those grills at Costco/Sam's are tempting tho!!!

mish said:
John, imo, if the warantee is up, and you bought it within the last few years - buy new/replace. Again, imo, most things are built for obsolescense (sp). When the warantee expires, so does the appliance/tv etc. Not worth rebuilding unless it has served you well for years & years. Before you go to Costco & spend $400, I would check out Consumer reports and compare prices etc. - or start a thread here asking input about grills.

Sadly, we live in a throw-away society - nothing is built to last beyond the warantee... and check out how much service repair/warantee will cost.

Caine, lol, we think alike. I'm a little slow on editing. lol

Sometimes things last beyond the warranty period. It depends on the quality, I guess. I own some things that have lasted well beyond the warranty, and are still in good working condition.

Last winter, I threw away a lot of old stuff to make room for the new stuff.
One of those things was a Wearever cookware set. Nice blue color, but it had lost its luster from so many machine washings. The other was a small Panasonic microwave which lasted 13 years. The door's window had cracked and I wanted a bigger one anyway.

Some of the pots had sentimental value. I held on to them for many years and wouldn't let go. A few were the old-timey type, though dull looking, they still cooked food good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom