"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Research from the experienced!

Hi guys,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself! My name is Matthew Clements, I'm from Wales, UK and I'm studying BSc Product Design in Bournemouth University.

For my final year project I am going to be looking at existing Jug Blenders on the market and where I could improve them. I have a few things up my sleeve but what I'm really looking for is where you guys would like to see improvement! I'd really like to see if I can get a good discussion going as to what you think is wrong with them and how could they be improved?

Personally when using a jug blender, I have to shake, rock or tilt the blender to ensure the contents have been throughly blended and cleaning is a bit of a pain! How do you find these issues? Anything from personal experience? I'm also looking at the use of blenders in Raw food diets! Does anyone have any experience with these?

I really hope you can all help and really appreciate all of you feedback!

Thanks!

Matt.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Howdy! Welcome to DC. What's a "jug blender"?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi! Sorry I should have been more clear! The blenders you have in you're kitchen which you use to make smoothies and purees and things! Like the one below.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclements View Post
Hi! Sorry I should have been more clear! The blenders you have in you're kitchen which you use to make smoothies and purees and things! Like the one below.
Thanks for clearing that up. We have one. Been in the deepest darkest corner of the least used cabinet in the kitchen for years. It's completely useless. Difficult to clean, does a poor job, messy...hate it.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the reply! Funny you should say that, a lot of people find them very useful! There is a diet called a Raw food diet which after researching I have found is becoming quite popular! Basically you blend raw fruit or vegetables and ingredients to make soups, smoothies and sauces to eat! It's a shame you don't use one but the points you have made are still very useful, poor job, messy and difficult to clean! Thank you for your feedback!

Has anybody else had any experience with one of these?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I have an old one from the 1970's, wide base, push button control/speed, wide glass container, wide botttom to the container, made of real metal and glass, not plastic. Never had any problems with it or cleaning it.

You want to know how to improve today's blenders? Make them like they used to be made, strong, durable, and affordable.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Welcome Maclements to DC.

I have a Waring Blender and cannot fault it. It blends all kinds of raw fruit and makes me wonderful smoothies. being diabetic I find this blender really helps me enjoy sauces etc so much better. Never had problems cleaning it. It's expensive, but worth it for build quality alone.

Enjoy the forum.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I don't do commercial marketing research surveys.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have one out in the garage. It did the job well enough, but I used it so seldom it didn't deserve the kitchen counter space. I use my Cusinart stick blender and chopper often however.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender With Whisk & Chopper Attachments (HB-154PC): Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

DaveSoMD - I agree with you, they don't make product like they used to which means they break sooner! I will definitely look at the difference between old and new!

Poppi G. Koullias - The Waring blenders are very good, but they come at a cost! My target market are those with quite a high disposable income, but Waring blenders cost roughly 300-400 in the UK! That's a tremendous amount of money to pay for a blender for the home don't you think?

Selkie - Im a 21 year old student at Bournemouth University this is purely for educational purposes, I understand if you would not like to give feedback, I'm very grateful for anyone taking time to do so!

Kayelle - This is another problem I need to try and address, people know what they are and what they do, but do not use them enough to keep them out, although many people say they are one of the best, if not the best appliance in the kitchen for healthy eating and cooking! Raising awareness on a product that does it's job well will be another one of my tasks throughout the year!

thank you all so much for you're feedback, Anybody else have any experience with Blenders?