"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Cook

Revisiting bread makers

So, I got the Zojirushi mini bread maker. I made four different loaves; each was only acceptable as a brick to use in the garden. I may keep the machine for just that purpose (not really. Iím gonna sell it on ďlet it go,Ē I think).

I bought a standard size (1 1/2 to 2 lb loaf) from West Bend. The bread it makes is very nice indeed! Iíve only made two loaves so far; a cinnamon raisin loaf and an olive/onion/feta loaf. While both sunk a bit in the middle, they are both delicious. I hope I can come up with a solution to the sunken middles without using the oven to bake the loaves. Otherwise, why have a bread maker, right? Iím sure Iíll graduate to hand formed loaves to bake in the oven, but for now, while Iím learning, I like the ease of the full automatic cycles.

My main beef with West Bend machine is that the included instruction and ďrecipeĒ book is poorly written and very frustrating (and itís not translated from Chinese to German and then to English by a person who only speaks Dutch, so thereís no entertainment value, either). It makes no mention of the ďadd ingredientsĒ alert and the recipes are just lists of ingredients, with no suggestions for additions, substitutions or variations.

I did buy a couple of cookbooks on Kindle. One called itself the ďencyclopediaĒ of bread maker bread; it barely mentioned bread makers! The other is a very well written book, but every recipe it has contains added gluten. Iím not gluten sensitive, but isnít this an unnecessary ingredient if youíre using bread flour? Itís not exactly an item you can find at your local supermarket! (To be fair, Iíve never looked for it at a supermarket. Now that Iím aware of it, Iíll probably see it in every aisle!)

If you have any suggestions for reliable cookbooks for bread makers that are available on Kindle, please let me know! Any tips you have from your personal experience with bread makers and recipes would be greatly appreciated too!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
...Iím not gluten sensitive, but isnít this an unnecessary ingredient if youíre using bread flour? Itís not exactly an item you can find at your local supermarket! (To be fair, Iíve never looked for it at a supermarket. Now that Iím aware of it, Iíll probably see it in every aisle!)...

There is a bread maker flour offered by several brands. It has a higher gluten content than even bread flour. Apparently, the extra gluten helps to prevent sunken loaves or loaves that didn't rise enough and, as a result, resemble bricks.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Master Chef

King Arthur Flour's web site has 99 bread machine recipes, from pizza crust to cheesecake. Check them out!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
Cook

I made a loaf of French bread, using the timer. We had hot, fresh French bread at 7:30 AM. It didnít look much like French bread (I know, i know, knead and proof the bread in the machine, then form a loaf and bake it in the oven. I didnít have the patience), but it tasted like it! Got a few more breadmaker cookbooks on Kindle, which have some great recipes. Think Iím gonna try a cranberry almond loaf for tomorrow!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
If you have any suggestions for reliable cookbooks for bread makers that are available on Kindle, please let me know! Any tips you have from your personal experience with bread makers and recipes would be greatly appreciated too!
You may check this book https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Brea.../dp/0754821021

Tags
bread