"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
can you use rechargable batteries?
I wouldn't because it is really a pain to change the batteries and rechargables won't have the power it takes to run this. If you got good electronics bateries and not cheapos you'll run a long time. The issue is suction. With lower battery power, you lose the suction factor.

I love mine and suction a lot. With my rechargables I would have likely had to change them a few times unlike with my batteries for electronics which I haven't changed since I got it. Remember, rechargables lose their strength just sitting unlike other batteries that don't.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #92
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Any item that takes batteries can use rechargable batteries. It's just that you would need a charger for the batteries. This unit doesn't have a built in charger like a cell phone or some digital cameras.
I use mine quite often. Maybe 70% of the time I vacuum seal. it;s very handy, Lady.
I do have a charger which is why I asked .

Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Remember, rechargables lose their strength just sitting unlike other batteries that don't.
I did not know that. Good info.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #94
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I do have a charger which is why I asked .
But are you willing to not have the product available at a moments notice and have to get out a screw driver to open the unit and put the batteries in every time you use it? That's what you would have to do. And every time you unscrew the unit to put the batteries in and out you take one step closer to stripping the socket and eventually being unable to close the battery section.

Believe me, I use rechargables for my camera all the time but for things like this or my P-touch label maker or my remote controls, regular batteries are just better.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #95
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I did not know that. Good info.
I learned the hard way when my I grabbed what I thought were fully charged batteries fresh off the charger from the wall and they didn't work because they'd lost their charge while they sat waiting for me to use them. Worst part, I was using it for a professional event and the batteries were dead.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #96
Master Chef

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
But are you willing to not have the product available at a moments notice and have to get out a screw driver to open the unit and put the batteries in every time you use it? That's what you would have to do. And every time you unscrew the unit to put the batteries in and out you take one step closer to stripping the socket and eventually being unable to close the battery section.

Believe me, I use rechargables for my camera all the time but for things like this or my P-touch label maker or my remote controls, regular batteries are just better.
Oh I see.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #97
Executive Chef

The original intent for rechargables was for highly used items, walkman radios (remember those), MP3 players, cameras, things where you are constantly playing and replacing the batteries. They weren't intended for items that sit for long periods of time. The batteries will last a while in these if you use decent batteries. It's worth the investment as replacing them everytime you use them would be a pain.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #98
Executive Chef

I'm finding that it's now kind of a pain in the butt to have to keep buying batteries for this thing. I find myself buying them too often.

So since I bought another Foodsaver, I won't use the Reynolds unit as much and use the Foodsaver when desired.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm still on the original batteries in mine.
I only use it 5-6 times/week, except for that time I froze a bunch of stuff to compare it with my FS.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #100
Executive Chef

I bought some turkey burgers the other day and froze then in the original container.

Yesterday, I removed them from the package, vacuum sealed them with the FS so that they hold their shape and don't get mashed.

I think that the heating strip on this one is better and more durable than the ones on previous models. It's also wider, which makes for a wider seal. So it should not give me any trouble like the other two did.