"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I know you have a teen daughter so I'll share a funny story. When my oldest started dating, she would tell boys that they had to pass the "zoo test" first. That meant going to the zoo with the whole family for the day. She really ran them through the wringer there - making them push the strollers, carry the toddlers, wash the sticky cotton candy off their hands and faces, wipe noses, etc. (We had 2 little guys then.) Then she would decide if she wanted to go out with them, but she made it seem like we were the ones deciding. It was often very amusing.
Well that explains a lot in my formulative years of dating

Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #112
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Corey, your experience is an anomaly. I use mine frequently and don't have to replace the batteries often or "have extras on hand constantly." I see you are happy about your new purchase but making it seem like you have to buy batteries every other week for the Reynolds is not productive.

As for when the batteries do start to go on the Handi Vac, you do get a warning. The unit is fabulous, don't be fooled. Buy it at Wal-Mart if you aren't sure. Then, if it doesn't work to your personal liking (or you do a 180 on your opinion of it) you have 90 days to take it back to the store.

The motor starts to labor a bit and the bags can't be vacuum sealed.

Let's see;

1. I bought the unit in December from Shaw's.

2. In January, the batteries had to be replaced for the first time.

3. Two weeks later, they had to be replaced again.

4. Two weeks from that, they had to be replaced again. That same day, I took out the weak batteries and put in the new ones. I resumed work on vacuum sealing. Twenty minutes later, EVEN THOSE batteries became weak!

5. I had to run back to the store with those batteries for another replacement or a refund. The store owner's wife said that she can't sell any more of the batteries there since I returned the ones that went south so soon.

6. I almost got stuck with those ones because at first, she wouldn't give me a refund! I then went to the other convenience store for new ones. Forgot that the unit takes 6 of them! Had to go back for the other two. All that running up and down the stairs that day wore me out, as I have a heart condition that makes me so tired, winded and almost short of breath if I move too fast!

7. Fast forward to the other day. Had just replaced the batteries again because the ones installed about two weeks ago were weak again.

8. Began vacuum sealing the cold cuts I bought two days earlier. Already had new batteries in the house. The batteries that I bought two weeks earlier had gone weak. Replaced them with the new ones.

9. Unit had flatly REFUSED to vacuum seal the bags, and I made sure that the zip tops were completely closed. That's when I had unpacked and started using the Foodsaver.

10. Went to make a sandwich with some of the cold cuts. Upon revacuum
sealing with the hand-held unit, it worked so darn slow, but eventually, the bags were vacuum sealed again.

11. Didn't even bother using the hand-held for the turkey burgers Friday. At this point, I was getting stressed out. Went right straight to the Foodsaver which did it nicely.

12. Now if THAT isn't enough to make someone stressed out, frustrated and fed up with constantly buying batteries within short periods for this unit, then I don't know what else is!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #113
Executive Chef

Corey, it sounds like your batteries are the problem, not the unit. You should try better batteries like the lithium batteries for electronics instead of cheap ones.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #114
Executive Chef

I would hardly called Duracell cheap. But yes, I might look into buying stronger ones of the lithium type.

I think now you probably understand why I've gotten so fed up and disgusted with buying batteries for this unit too often in such a short span of time.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #115
Executive Chef

Duracells are cheap as far as electronics are concerned. I wouldn't accept Duracells as a gift for my electronics. Oh, sure, maybe for my remote controls, but never for anything that requires power. "The Copper Tops" are one step above Ray-O-Vac.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #116
Executive Chef

What about the Energizer?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #117
Executive Chef

Energizer Lithiums are great for this unit. Regular Energizers for my mouse, desktop keyboard, remotes, things like that. I hate Duracells so much that when we switched office supply providers I still used the old provider for batteries because they were Energizers. Duracells are just crap.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #118
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Energizer Lithiums are great for this unit. Regular Energizers for my mouse, desktop keyboard, remotes, things like that. I hate Duracells so much that when we switched office supply providers I still used the old provider for batteries because they were Energizers. Duracells are just crap.

You're right!!

Yeah, I'm just now finding that out. It's no wonder that I was having so much trouble keeping this unit working properly!

They seem to work great for electronics, like remote controllers, etc..

It's just too bad that Reynolds didn't make this unit rechargable. I wouldn't have had to buy so many blasted batteries so often!!

Ok, so lithium it is. Next time I'm at Walgreens or Shaw's I'll definitely look into it!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #119
Executive Chef

I've had a lot of "rechargable" appliances and they were horrid to deal with. I had a rechargable can opener that if I forgot to put it on the charger, it would be better as a paper weight than a can opener. My old plug in lasted longer than the rechargable did. The problem with rechargable anything is it loses its charge if not used and it has a shorter lifespan than something that plugs in or uses batteries. I just don't know that it would be effective to have the unit be rechargable as my experience with rechargable appliances have been decidedly negative.

Lithiums. They aren't cheap but they'll last a lot longer than the "copper top."
Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #120
Master Chef

My batteries are dying now, too. But I was having a bit of a hard time getting the bags to seal even before that.

And they don't hold a seal in the freezer about 75% of the time.

I have a foodsaver now and love it but it's not that good for things you want to open and close, like cheese.