"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #121
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Do you have the accessory port on your Foodsaver Jenny? I use the canisters with my Foodsaverer for things like cheese that I open and close all the time. it works very well. I think I use the canisters about 95% or more and the bags the remaining 5%.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #122
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
Incidently, I just bought more of the "copper top" batteries, but they won't be used for the Reynolds unit I'll use them for the remote controls instead.

I own a Dirt Devil Broom Vac that's rechargable. Haven't had any trouble with it. I also have a plug-in CO that the tenant before me left here. Had to clean it with some bleach though before I ever used it.

I'm willing to spend the extra bucks for lithium batteries if it means not having to buy them too often. Otherwise, this unit will fade in the dust.
__________________

__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #123
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Do you have the accessory port on your Foodsaver Jenny? I use the canisters with my Foodsaverer for things like cheese that I open and close all the time. it works very well. I think I use the canisters about 95% or more and the bags the remaining 5%.

No. Are they that good? I recall hearing that they didn't work all that well.

Will have to buy one and see.

Would have come in handy yesterday when I processed 10 bulbs of garlic I bought for $1.39.

Peeled each clove and foodsavered in various size portions.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #124
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
My batteries are dying now, too. But I was having a bit of a hard time getting the bags to seal even before that.

And they don't hold a seal in the freezer about 75% of the time.

I have a foodsaver now and love it but it's not that good for things you want to open and close, like cheese.
I haven't had that happen at all. Maybe one bag in a dozen has lost the seal, but for the most part I've had good luck with that. I figured out what the issue was when I was having issues and it all came down to the lack of suction because of dying batteries.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #125
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
No. Are they that good? I recall hearing that they didn't work all that well.

Will have to buy one and see.

Would have come in handy yesterday when I processed 10 bulbs of garlic I bought for $1.39.

Peeled each clove and foodsavered in various size portions.
Well they are expensive. When they work they are great. I have had a few of the lids fail though. I would say 10% of mine have not worked. That is a pretty high failure rate, but I am willing to deal with it because the ones that do work are great.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #126
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I've had a problem with a few bags being sucked down and then losing their vacuum after time. I think it's a ziploc problem coupled with trying to use it with instant yeast. I think the fine particles get in the plastic zipper mechanism and allow minute leakage. Can't blame that on the machine.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #127
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've had a problem with a few bags being sucked down and then losing their vacuum after time. I think it's a ziploc problem coupled with trying to use it with instant yeast. I think the fine particles get in the plastic zipper mechanism and allow minute leakage. Can't blame that on the machine.


Or it could be food lodged in that area. The bags are reusable because I've saved them all rather than throw them away after the first use. That's money in the trash!

I usually double check before vacuum sealing the bags to make sure that there are no obstructions in the zipping area.
__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #128
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
The issue isn't necessarily the zipper lock. When you look at the bag it has that mesh panel. If that mesh panel is not attached at any point along the bottom, the bag won't seal down. You have to check that part of the bag and if it's unattached anywhere along the bottom, it just won't hold the seal.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #129
Head Chef
 
MexicoKaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bucerias, Nayarit, Mexico
Posts: 1,914
A few months ago, there was a discussion of a product called Vacu-Seal. Someone gave a link - Vacu-seal.com - and I looked it up and bought one. Had to have it sent to my daughter in Portland, OR, because shipping things to Mexico from the states is complicated because of duty, etc. Long story short - I went to Portland a few weeks ago on a visit and brought it back with me. It is a GREAT product. The bags are reusable and they stay sealed.

BUT - a big BUT - their customer service is TERRIBLE. I ordered this thing on January 10 and it took them almost a month to ship it. Then, they charged my credit card twice - and shipped one of the products to my billing address by mistake. I've spent numerous phone calls trying to straighten this out and they still haven't reversed the charges on my credit card. Nightmare.....good product, but not worth twice what I paid for it.
__________________
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #130
Executive Chef
 
Corey123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
If it took you that long to get it, then it'll probably take just as long or longer for them to straighten out the mess they caused you to go through.

Good luck. I hope you get it resolved soon.
__________________

__________________
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.