"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #41
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I bought mine at Vons (Safeway) two days before Thanksgiving, on sale for $9.98 USD and it came complete with a $5.00 mail in rebate coupon. For 4 bucks, it doesn't have to work all that good, but it does.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Good! Glad to hear it.

Technically, you're supposed to throw the bags away once they're empty, but who's gonna know?

If you think you can get much more milage from them that way, then why not? This unique little invention; Boy! That's money!!
Where do you get "technically you're supposed to throw the bags away" from? I read the box from the quart size and the gallon size, and it doesn't say not to reuse. I make sure and label mine so I don't use a chicken bag for onions, but that's really not a problem with the way I'm washing them and the fact that the chicken is frozen and then cooked. I just don't want to add chicken to an onion bag for fear of taste transfer.

Here's the website info for safety:

Safety

• Vacuum Sealer is not a toy. Not for use by children.
  • Small parts may pose a choking hazard.
  • Do not use Vacuum Sealer on body of humans or animals.
  • Vacuum Sealer is only for use with Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ Vacuum Freezer Bags.
  • Do not intentionally draw liquids through the Vacuum Sealer.
  • Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ System is not a substitute for refrigeration or freezing. Store perishable foods appropriately.
  • Intended for household use only. Not for industrial applications.
  • Dispose of used batteries properly.

I don't anything larger than a gallon size. I've got a freezer that's already stretched to the limit. I would, however, like sandwich sized bags for onions and fruit and single portions of chicken breast fillets. May have to write and request that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I bought mine at Vons (Safeway) two days before Thanksgiving, on sale for $9.98 USD and it came complete with a $5.00 mail in rebate coupon. For 4 bucks, it doesn't have to work all that good, but it does.
I had the option to do a rebate too but I don't have a checking account so I didn't bother. I got mine for $8 at Harris Teeter and bags for $2.86 at Wal-Mart.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Okay ~ I forgot to share the funny story about the handi-vac.

My daughter came in right after I bought it and saw it on the table and started screaming "oh my god, oh my god, what is that? why is it on the table???" And before I could say what it was (obviously she's watched too much Sex in the City) she let out a sigh of relief and say "Oh, it says Reynolds on it."

To which I replied, "What? It's a breast pump for the cat." She now calls it the breast pump. But then again, that's what that little suction cup kind of looks like.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #44
Executive Chef

She thought it was one of those, you know, don't want to say it here.

Under the General Usage Information and Tips on the back of the little instruction pamplet that comes with the machine.

The last sentense says not to reuse them once all of the contents have been removed.

On the website, it says that the bags might be difficult to wash near the textured area, as food and/or liquid may get lodged there and become hard to remove, supposedly paving the way for bacteria to grow, I imagine.

But I didn't want to scare or discourage you in any way. I guess if you plan to reuse the bags immediately, there shouldn't be a cause for concern.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
She thought it was one of those, you know, don't want to say it here.

Under the General Usage Information and Tips on the back of the little instruction pamplet that comes with the machine.

The last sentense says not to reuse them once all of the contents have been removed.

On the website, it says that the bags might be difficult to wash near the textured area, as food and/or liquid may get lodged there and become hard to remove, supposedly paving the way for bacteria to grow, I imagine.

But I didn't want to scare or discourage you in any way. I guess if you plan to reuse the bags immediately, there shouldn't be a cause for concern.
If it's not in the safety section, or on the box of bags, then they are trying to cover themselves but it's not imparative to throw the bags out. If it was it would have to be listed under safety precautions. Unless they are going to label the bags "single use" I'm reusing them. And there's no instruction booklet in my box. I kept everything just in case I wanted to return it.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #46
Executive Chef

I myself, never said that you couldn't reuse them. I'm not going to send the food police to your door.

I merely said that the co. is suggesting that people don't. It's not on an instruction booklet. Rather it's a small folded pamplet. Does anyone else have one with theirs, I wonder?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
I myself, never said that you couldn't reuse them. I'm not going to send the food police to your door.

I merely said that the co. is suggesting that people don't. It's not on an instruction booklet. Rather it's a small folded pamplet. Does anyone else have one with theirs, I wonder?
A fold out pamphlet/instruction booklett are one in the same, it's just semantics. Regardless, I don't have one. My point is that the company is not stressing, in any way, the bags are single use. They hide the info in obscure places and not on the actual bags or on the packaging of the machine.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #48
Cook

I have one and I love it! I have decided against a big bulky food saver taking up space for this little gaget.

I threw my pamphlet away but didn't it say you could use them as boil in bags? Maybe not but if it is true then why couldn't you put them in the dishwasher? Just a thought.

Vita
Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #49
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Okay ~ I forgot to share the funny story about the handi-vac.

My daughter came in right after I bought it and saw it on the table and started screaming "oh my god, oh my god, what is that? why is it on the table???" And before I could say what it was (obviously she's watched too much Sex in the City) she let out a sigh of relief and say "Oh, it says Reynolds on it."

To which I replied, "What? It's a breast pump for the cat." She now calls it the breast pump. But then again, that's what that little suction cup kind of looks like.
My son's wife saw mine sitting on the counter on Thanksgiving and immediately tried to give my son a hickey with it!
Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm in.
$9.48 at Wally World and $2.84 for either size of bags. I bought one with some bags for myself and one and some bags for my sister, for Christmas. I still plan on using my Foodsaver, but I think the Reynolds will be used more for items I toss back into the fridge and need access to more often.