Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have the accessory port on your Foodsaver Jenny? I use the canisters with my Foodsaverer for things like cheese that I open and close all the time. it works very well. I think I use the canisters about 95% or more and the bags the remaining 5%.

Incidently, I just bought more of the "copper top" batteries, but they won't be used for the Reynolds unit I'll use them for the remote controls instead.

I own a Dirt Devil Broom Vac that's rechargable. Haven't had any trouble with it. I also have a plug-in CO that the tenant before me left here. Had to clean it with some bleach though before I ever used it.

I'm willing to spend the extra bucks for lithium batteries if it means not having to buy them too often. Otherwise, this unit will fade in the dust.

Do you have the accessory port on your Foodsaver Jenny? I use the canisters with my Foodsaverer for things like cheese that I open and close all the time. it works very well. I think I use the canisters about 95% or more and the bags the remaining 5%.

No. Are they that good? I recall hearing that they didn't work all that well.

Will have to buy one and see.

Would have come in handy yesterday when I processed 10 bulbs of garlic I bought for $1.39. :wacko:

Peeled each clove and foodsavered in various size portions.

My batteries are dying now, too. But I was having a bit of a hard time getting the bags to seal even before that.

And they don't hold a seal in the freezer about 75% of the time.

I have a foodsaver now and love it but it's not that good for things you want to open and close, like cheese.
I haven't had that happen at all. Maybe one bag in a dozen has lost the seal, but for the most part I've had good luck with that. I figured out what the issue was when I was having issues and it all came down to the lack of suction because of dying batteries.

No. Are they that good? I recall hearing that they didn't work all that well.

Will have to buy one and see.

Would have come in handy yesterday when I processed 10 bulbs of garlic I bought for $1.39. :wacko:

Peeled each clove and foodsavered in various size portions.
Well they are expensive. When they work they are great. I have had a few of the lids fail though. I would say 10% of mine have not worked. That is a pretty high failure rate, but I am willing to deal with it because the ones that do work are great.

I've had a problem with a few bags being sucked down and then losing their vacuum after time. I think it's a ziploc problem coupled with trying to use it with instant yeast. I think the fine particles get in the plastic zipper mechanism and allow minute leakage. Can't blame that on the machine.

I've had a problem with a few bags being sucked down and then losing their vacuum after time. I think it's a ziploc problem coupled with trying to use it with instant yeast. I think the fine particles get in the plastic zipper mechanism and allow minute leakage. Can't blame that on the machine.

Or it could be food lodged in that area. The bags are reusable because I've saved them all rather than throw them away after the first use. That's money in the trash!

I usually double check before vacuum sealing the bags to make sure that there are no obstructions in the zipping area.

The issue isn't necessarily the zipper lock. When you look at the bag it has that mesh panel. If that mesh panel is not attached at any point along the bottom, the bag won't seal down. You have to check that part of the bag and if it's unattached anywhere along the bottom, it just won't hold the seal.

A few months ago, there was a discussion of a product called Vacu-Seal. Someone gave a link - Vacu-seal.com - and I looked it up and bought one. Had to have it sent to my daughter in Portland, OR, because shipping things to Mexico from the states is complicated because of duty, etc. Long story short - I went to Portland a few weeks ago on a visit and brought it back with me. It is a GREAT product. The bags are reusable and they stay sealed.

BUT - a big BUT - their customer service is TERRIBLE. I ordered this thing on January 10 and it took them almost a month to ship it. Then, they charged my credit card twice - and shipped one of the products to my billing address by mistake. I've spent numerous phone calls trying to straighten this out and they still haven't reversed the charges on my credit card. Nightmare.....good product, but not worth twice what I paid for it.

If it took you that long to get it, then it'll probably take just as long or longer for them to straighten out the mess they caused you to go through.

Good luck. I hope you get it resolved soon.

Last edited:
I bought some lithium batteries for the Reynolds unit.

When the ones that are in it now start losing strength, then I try thre lithium batteries.
I hope they work!

Just bought the Handi Vac today for $4.99 on sale at ShopRite. ;)

When the batteries have to be replaced, try the lithium ones. Otherwise, you'll be buying and replacing batteries for this appliance about every two weeks like I was.

Last edited:
Yesterday for lunch I used up my last two slices of Am cheese. The bag the deli counter put it in was dated 1/21! What I did was leave the cheese in the deli bag with the zip-loc open, then put the whole thing in one of the handi-vac bags and sealed it. The cheese was as good as the day I put the whole pound in, with the exception of a few "wrinkles" in it from the bag sealing tightly against it.

I saw another style advertised on TV the other night for around 70 bucks, I think. And yet another style somewhere on the web searching for something else. All used the zip-loc bag feature. One was electric, or at least it had a cord on it.

ChefsCatalog has one also that vacuum seals the bags for about $79.00.
I saw that. I think the $4.99 for the Reynolds Handi-Vac is still the better deal. BTW, I've been using mine for a couple months now and I'm still on the original batteries. With the power of that thing I figured they would go out in a week. Not so.

I went to use this unit today, and even after changing the batteries and putting in lithium batteries, the blasted thing STILL wouldn't suck the air out of the bag!

After trying for about 20 minutes and not getting anywhere with it, I became so frustrated, ticked off and irate that in a fit of rage, I literally THREW the thing on the floor, destroying it and shattering it into a million pieces!!! Like the little boy who I used to tutor at school does when things don't work for him!!

I suppose that I can get another one, since they are practically dirt-cheap, but it seems that once the batteries have to be replaced, it becomes a cancer that just won't go away because the constant too-often battery replacements are just aggravating and frustrating!! And I thought that this was a good thing!

Last edited:
Hey, if you haven't thrown it away, I want the suction end piece! I want to try
to adapt it to my Food saver hand unit. Will gladly pay shipping and a bit
for the trouble.

That part flew somewhere near the fridge. I'll have to look for it for you. I just got so sick & tired of being sick & tired! I went over the edge.

And BTW, to the rescue again, came the new Food Saver. It did the job without even batting an eyelash!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom