"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've had some of the Reynolds bags allow air back in. These had items in them that were stored in the fridge, so it wasn't from freezing and getting bumped around. You could plainly see that the bag had lost its vacuum after a couple days. I'm still going to rely on my Foodsaver unit for anything I don't need to get at all the time, like cheeses and such. And items going in the freezer. I'm curious whether the zip-loc failed or the valve.... It has only been the smaller bags.

Me too. And have sometimes found them impossible to seal.

And guess what? I got a real FOODSAVER for Xmas!

I still think the Reynolds unit is good for things you want to open and reseal frequently.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #82
Executive Chef

Yeah, I'm going to have to get another Food Saver, but THIS TIME, I'm going to get a much better one!!

The heating strip burned out on both units that I had.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #83
Head Chef

OK, I am really confused now. HELP. I am living in a humid and warm climate, and find that keeping things tightly sealed (potato chips, crackers, cookies, etc) is the only way to keep them fresh, especially in summer. (I won't even mention the bugs). So, I am thinking about getting a vacuum sealer. I can't buy one here, so will have to have my daughter bring me one from the states when she visits next month. Will the new Reynolds gadget meet my needs? Do I need a FoodSaver type sealer (I keep reading about the heat strip failing prematurely on this item)? Also - I won't be able to purchase replacement bags here, so how many should I get??? Can you guys make some recommendations for me? Thanks!!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #84
Master Chef

If you want to seal up things you are going to open, use and reseal like chips and cookies, you would want to think about the canister option for a Foodsaver because you wouldn't want to be spending $$ and time rebagging and sealing them up.

Or the Reynolds unti because you can very easily take stuff out of the bags and reseal them over and over.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

One nice thing about the FS is you can get canisters and make your own size bags, which might be better for sealing up snacks that come in large bags, like chips, but for 10 bucks you can't go wrong with the Reynolds vac. I just think you would be better off with canisters, but they do take up a lot of room.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #86
Head Chef

After looking at the website, I am thinking that what I really need is Bridges' Vacu-Pack. The bags are re-usable (even dishwasher safe - as if I had a dishwasher) and I like the valve at the top. I want to use them for stuff that I will want continual access to, like crackers, nuts, dried fruit, chips, etc. I don't want to have to make a new bag every time I open one up.....the FoodSaver canisters sound great, but expensive and bulky in quantity, and my daughter has to bring this stuff down in her suitcase.....Bridge? Can you add anything? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Only that these vacuum sealers, either one, really suck the life out of the bag. My guess would be that your chips and crackers will make a fine crumb mixture for breading fish
The canisters are good for items that you want to retain their shape and size
Old 01-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #88
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Only that these vacuum sealers, either one, really suck the life out of the bag. My guess would be that your chips and crackers will make a fine crumb mixture for breading fish
The canisters are good for items that you want to retain their shape and size
And the canisters do not use the heat strip so even if it goes out (which is rare) it will still work with the cansiters.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #89
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
You're welcome!

While you're there, make sure that you get some extra batteries as well. So that you'll have more when the ones already inside the unit get low on power.
can you use rechargable batteries?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Any item that takes batteries can use rechargable batteries. It's just that you would need a charger for the batteries. This unit doesn't have a built in charger like a cell phone or some digital cameras.
I use mine quite often. Maybe 70% of the time I vacuum seal. it;s very handy, Lady.