Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought mine at Vons (Safeway) two days before Thanksgiving, on sale for $9.98 USD and it came complete with a $5.00 mail in rebate coupon. For 4 bucks, it doesn't have to work all that good, but it does.

Good! Glad to hear it.

Technically, you're supposed to throw the bags away once they're empty, but who's gonna know?

If you think you can get much more milage from them that way, then why not? This unique little invention; Boy! That's money!!
Where do you get "technically you're supposed to throw the bags away" from? I read the box from the quart size and the gallon size, and it doesn't say not to reuse. I make sure and label mine so I don't use a chicken bag for onions, but that's really not a problem with the way I'm washing them and the fact that the chicken is frozen and then cooked. I just don't want to add chicken to an onion bag for fear of taste transfer.

Here's the website info for safety:

Safety

• Vacuum Sealer is not a toy. Not for use by children.
  • Small parts may pose a choking hazard.
  • Do not use Vacuum Sealer on body of humans or animals.
  • Vacuum Sealer is only for use with Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ Vacuum Freezer Bags.
  • Do not intentionally draw liquids through the Vacuum Sealer.
  • Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ System is not a substitute for refrigeration or freezing. Store perishable foods appropriately.
  • Intended for household use only. Not for industrial applications.
  • Dispose of used batteries properly.

I don't anything larger than a gallon size. I've got a freezer that's already stretched to the limit. I would, however, like sandwich sized bags for onions and fruit and single portions of chicken breast fillets. May have to write and request that.

I bought mine at Vons (Safeway) two days before Thanksgiving, on sale for $9.98 USD and it came complete with a $5.00 mail in rebate coupon. For 4 bucks, it doesn't have to work all that good, but it does.
I had the option to do a rebate too but I don't have a checking account so I didn't bother. I got mine for $8 at Harris Teeter and bags for $2.86 at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Okay ~ I forgot to share the funny story about the handi-vac.

My daughter came in right after I bought it and saw it on the table and started screaming "oh my god, oh my god, what is that? why is it on the table???" And before I could say what it was (obviously she's watched too much Sex in the City) she let out a sigh of relief and say "Oh, it says Reynolds on it."

To which I replied, "What? It's a breast pump for the cat." She now calls it the breast pump. But then again, that's what that little suction cup kind of looks like.

She thought it was one of those, you know, don't want to say it here.

Under the General Usage Information and Tips on the back of the little instruction pamplet that comes with the machine.

The last sentense says not to reuse them once all of the contents have been removed.

On the website, it says that the bags might be difficult to wash near the textured area, as food and/or liquid may get lodged there and become hard to remove, supposedly paving the way for bacteria to grow, I imagine.

But I didn't want to scare or discourage you in any way. I guess if you plan to reuse the bags immediately, there shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Last edited:
She thought it was one of those, you know, don't want to say it here.

Under the General Usage Information and Tips on the back of the little instruction pamplet that comes with the machine.

The last sentense says not to reuse them once all of the contents have been removed.

On the website, it says that the bags might be difficult to wash near the textured area, as food and/or liquid may get lodged there and become hard to remove, supposedly paving the way for bacteria to grow, I imagine.

But I didn't want to scare or discourage you in any way. I guess if you plan to reuse the bags immediately, there shouldn't be a cause for concern.
If it's not in the safety section, or on the box of bags, then they are trying to cover themselves but it's not imparative to throw the bags out. If it was it would have to be listed under safety precautions. Unless they are going to label the bags "single use" I'm reusing them. And there's no instruction booklet in my box. I kept everything just in case I wanted to return it.

I myself, never said that you couldn't reuse them. I'm not going to send the food police to your door.

I merely said that the co. is suggesting that people don't. It's not on an instruction booklet. Rather it's a small folded pamplet. Does anyone else have one with theirs, I wonder?

Last edited:
I myself, never said that you couldn't reuse them. I'm not going to send the food police to your door.

I merely said that the co. is suggesting that people don't. It's not on an instruction booklet. Rather it's a small folded pamplet. Does anyone else have one with theirs, I wonder?
A fold out pamphlet/instruction booklett are one in the same, it's just semantics. Regardless, I don't have one. My point is that the company is not stressing, in any way, the bags are single use. They hide the info in obscure places and not on the actual bags or on the packaging of the machine.

I have one and I love it! I have decided against a big bulky food saver taking up space for this little gaget.

I threw my pamphlet away but didn't it say you could use them as boil in bags? Maybe not but if it is true then why couldn't you put them in the dishwasher? Just a thought.

Vita

Okay ~ I forgot to share the funny story about the handi-vac.

My daughter came in right after I bought it and saw it on the table and started screaming "oh my god, oh my god, what is that? why is it on the table???" And before I could say what it was (obviously she's watched too much Sex in the City) she let out a sigh of relief and say "Oh, it says Reynolds on it."

To which I replied, "What? It's a breast pump for the cat." She now calls it the breast pump. But then again, that's what that little suction cup kind of looks like.

My son's wife saw mine sitting on the counter on Thanksgiving and immediately tried to give my son a hickey with it!

I'm in.
$9.48 at Wally World and $2.84 for either size of bags. I bought one with some bags for myself and one and some bags for my sister, for Christmas. I still plan on using my Foodsaver, but I think the Reynolds will be used more for items I toss back into the fridge and need access to more often.

I have one and I love it! I have decided against a big bulky food saver taking up space for this little gaget.

I threw my pamphlet away but didn't it say you could use them as boil in bags? Maybe not but if it is true then why couldn't you put them in the dishwasher? Just a thought.

Vita

Not sure if they a boilable, but I DID read on the website that the bags are mircowavable.

I have just bought another vacuum sealer I saw at Bed, Bath and Beyond called PackMate Vacu-Seal, it is handheld also and fits into a drawer. I think it is better than Reynolds because the bags are reusable and you can put them in the dishwasher and microwave. I like the idea of reusable products it feels more enviro-friendly.

The seals seem to work excellently and the bags are extremely strong with a special pattern in the nylon to help with them becoming air tight. I have tried it with cheeses in the fridge (which I love as it seals in the odors of those delicious smelly blue cheeses) and some meats in the freezer. Next I am going to put all my dried fruit in the pantry into their bags. I think the bags are a bit more expensive but you don't need to keep buing them. Plus they have them in small quart size for onions and cut vegies.

Has anyone else tried PackMate Vacu-Seal?

Last edited:
PackMate Vacu-Seal

Hi Corey 123,

I have found a website for you to look at their home page, vacu-seal.com.

I bought it at BBB about a week ago for $29.99 which was for the Vacu-Seal machine, batteries and 3 bags. There weren't that many of them left but they were near the Food Saver's which just look so ridiculously big next to this little handheld.

Let me know what you think if you try it.

I like the suction mechanism on that one better, but at 3x the price?
I used my Reynolds vac last night and had the bag standing up so as not to spill any yeast out of it original packaging. I had to fiddle with holding my fingers just right on the opposite side of the bag to get the suction to work, but it wasn't undoable.
I can see why the vaccu-seal bags might be more expensive, but not the machine itself. JMO

Hi Corey 123,

I have found a website for you to look at their home page, vacu-seal.com.

I bought it at BBB about a week ago for $29.99 which was for the Vacu-Seal machine, batteries and 3 bags. There weren't that many of them left but they were near the Food Saver's which just look so ridiculously big next to this little handheld.

Let me know what you think if you try it.

Haha!!

That one looks and operates quite similar to the Reynolds unit.

Except that there is a little valve that sticks out on the bags. Same size bags
also, except they can be bought in larger quantities.

Hmm; Now I wonder whose machine hit the market first - since Reynolds is supposed to have applied for a patant pending on THEIR vacuum seal bags.

Yes Pacanis, you're right! it IS 3x more expensive. I'll stick with the Reynolds unit. But I DID notice that the bag is vacuum sealed in the upright position, which allows foods (meats) with liquids to be packaged for marinating them.

This could get to be more interesting!:doh:

Last edited:
I couldn't actually find it available in the US when I did a search. I wonder if the VacuSeal is only in the UK. Even the QVC offering was QVC UK.

Did you notice you can only use the bags for that machine with frozen food? Not sure I would like that.

Did you notice you can only use the bags for that machine with frozen food? Not sure I would like that.

I wouldn't want that either. Thank you for pointing that out.

Both my freezers are stuffed to the hilt with frozen food. I don't have the room to prefreeze food solid before I can vacuum seal it. Unless I get another freezer, which I'm not about to do!

I'm quite happy with the Reynolds unit. With that one, you can vacuum seal the food whether it's frozen or not.

Last edited:
Vacu-Seal is for pantry and fridge ingredients

Did you look for the PackMate Vacu-Seal again,as it is definitley available in the U.S., I bought it at Bed, Bath,and Beyond but you can also get it at Linens 'N Things. It is not just for frozen food it can be used for anything. I have vacu-sealed all my cheeses and cut vegies in the fridge, which stay perfectly fresh for far longer now. I have also put dry crackers and nuts in the pantry into vacu-seal bags which actually saves me space. You should try it for stuff outside of the freezer.

It also says that it is great to store your silver in as it stops it from tarnishing, it is exposure to air that causes tarnishing - I haven't tried this yet but my sister has and she loves the idea of no more polishing.

hope this helps:chef:

I couldn't actually find it available in the US when I did a search. I wonder if the VacuSeal is only in the UK. Even the QVC offering was QVC UK.

Bridge ~ where are you located? Neither website for the stores you list carry it. I'm googling it from what you type and it doesn't come up in the US. Personally, I'm very happy with my Handi-Vac. I can get the bags for under $3 at Wal-Mart which is around the corner verses BBB or LT that is 15 miles from me.

Enclosing veggies like that isn't good. They need air to breathe to keep from going bad. Regardless, no one said you can only use them for freezing, I said you can only use the bags in the microwave with frozen foods. That's what the instructions say.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom