Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had some of the Reynolds bags allow air back in. These had items in them that were stored in the fridge, so it wasn't from freezing and getting bumped around. You could plainly see that the bag had lost its vacuum after a couple days. I'm still going to rely on my Foodsaver unit for anything I don't need to get at all the time, like cheeses and such. And items going in the freezer. I'm curious whether the zip-loc failed or the valve.... It has only been the smaller bags.

Me too. And have sometimes found them impossible to seal.

And guess what? I got a real FOODSAVER for Xmas!

I still think the Reynolds unit is good for things you want to open and reseal frequently.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get another Food Saver, but THIS TIME, I'm going to get a much better one!!

The heating strip burned out on both units that I had.

OK, I am really confused now. HELP. I am living in a humid and warm climate, and find that keeping things tightly sealed (potato chips, crackers, cookies, etc) is the only way to keep them fresh, especially in summer. (I won't even mention the bugs). So, I am thinking about getting a vacuum sealer. I can't buy one here, so will have to have my daughter bring me one from the states when she visits next month. Will the new Reynolds gadget meet my needs? Do I need a FoodSaver type sealer (I keep reading about the heat strip failing prematurely on this item)? Also - I won't be able to purchase replacement bags here, so how many should I get??? Can you guys make some recommendations for me? Thanks!!

If you want to seal up things you are going to open, use and reseal like chips and cookies, you would want to think about the canister option for a Foodsaver because you wouldn't want to be spending $$ and time rebagging and sealing them up.

Or the Reynolds unti because you can very easily take stuff out of the bags and reseal them over and over.

One nice thing about the FS is you can get canisters and make your own size bags, which might be better for sealing up snacks that come in large bags, like chips, but for 10 bucks you can't go wrong with the Reynolds vac. I just think you would be better off with canisters, but they do take up a lot of room.

After looking at the website, I am thinking that what I really need is Bridges' Vacu-Pack. The bags are re-usable (even dishwasher safe - as if I had a dishwasher) and I like the valve at the top. I want to use them for stuff that I will want continual access to, like crackers, nuts, dried fruit, chips, etc. I don't want to have to make a new bag every time I open one up.....the FoodSaver canisters sound great, but expensive and bulky in quantity, and my daughter has to bring this stuff down in her suitcase.....Bridge? Can you add anything? Thanks!

Only that these vacuum sealers, either one, really suck the life out of the bag. My guess would be that your chips and crackers will make a fine crumb mixture for breading fish :LOL:
The canisters are good for items that you want to retain their shape and size :)

Only that these vacuum sealers, either one, really suck the life out of the bag. My guess would be that your chips and crackers will make a fine crumb mixture for breading fish :LOL:
The canisters are good for items that you want to retain their shape and size :)
And the canisters do not use the heat strip so even if it goes out (which is rare) it will still work with the cansiters.

Any item that takes batteries can use rechargable batteries. It's just that you would need a charger for the batteries. This unit doesn't have a built in charger like a cell phone or some digital cameras.
I use mine quite often. Maybe 70% of the time I vacuum seal. it;s very handy, Lady.

can you use rechargable batteries?
I wouldn't because it is really a pain to change the batteries and rechargables won't have the power it takes to run this. If you got good electronics bateries and not cheapos you'll run a long time. The issue is suction. With lower battery power, you lose the suction factor.

I love mine and suction a lot. With my rechargables I would have likely had to change them a few times unlike with my batteries for electronics which I haven't changed since I got it. Remember, rechargables lose their strength just sitting unlike other batteries that don't.

Any item that takes batteries can use rechargable batteries. It's just that you would need a charger for the batteries. This unit doesn't have a built in charger like a cell phone or some digital cameras.
I use mine quite often. Maybe 70% of the time I vacuum seal. it;s very handy, Lady.
I do have a charger which is why I asked . ;)

I do have a charger which is why I asked . ;)
But are you willing to not have the product available at a moments notice and have to get out a screw driver to open the unit and put the batteries in every time you use it? That's what you would have to do. And every time you unscrew the unit to put the batteries in and out you take one step closer to stripping the socket and eventually being unable to close the battery section.

Believe me, I use rechargables for my camera all the time but for things like this or my P-touch label maker or my remote controls, regular batteries are just better.

I did not know that. Good info.
I learned the hard way when my I grabbed what I thought were fully charged batteries fresh off the charger from the wall and they didn't work because they'd lost their charge while they sat waiting for me to use them. Worst part, I was using it for a professional event and the batteries were dead.

But are you willing to not have the product available at a moments notice and have to get out a screw driver to open the unit and put the batteries in every time you use it? That's what you would have to do. And every time you unscrew the unit to put the batteries in and out you take one step closer to stripping the socket and eventually being unable to close the battery section.

Believe me, I use rechargables for my camera all the time but for things like this or my P-touch label maker or my remote controls, regular batteries are just better.

Oh I see. :ermm:

The original intent for rechargables was for highly used items, walkman radios (remember those), MP3 players, cameras, things where you are constantly playing and replacing the batteries. They weren't intended for items that sit for long periods of time. The batteries will last a while in these if you use decent batteries. It's worth the investment as replacing them everytime you use them would be a pain.

I'm finding that it's now kind of a pain in the butt to have to keep buying batteries for this thing. I find myself buying them too often.

So since I bought another Foodsaver, I won't use the Reynolds unit as much and use the Foodsaver when desired.

Last edited:
I'm still on the original batteries in mine.
I only use it 5-6 times/week, except for that time I froze a bunch of stuff to compare it with my FS.

I bought some turkey burgers the other day and froze then in the original container.

Yesterday, I removed them from the package, vacuum sealed them with the FS so that they hold their shape and don't get mashed.

I think that the heating strip on this one is better and more durable than the ones on previous models. It's also wider, which makes for a wider seal. So it should not give me any trouble like the other two did.

Back
Top Bottom