Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still on the original batteries in mine.
I only use it 5-6 times/week, except for that time I froze a bunch of stuff to compare it with my FS.
I went to good electronic device ones shortly after buying the unit and I haven't had to change them in three or more months. I love this thing and it beats the clunky countertop model any day.

Callisto in NC, I have to respectively disagree with you about rechargeable batteries. It might be possible that the ones you were buying were not of good quality or the charger you had was not a good one.

When I had a digital camera that used regular batteries I used rechargeables. They were so much better than regular batteries. They lasted a very long time on a charge for the majority of the life of them. After a certain number of charges (maybe 500 or so) they would not hold a charge as long, but 500 or so charges is quite a lot.

I would highly recommend rechareables over disposables for anything that takes batteries.

I had the same issues with rechargeables as Callisto - they would lose their charge sitting in the battery bowl I keep them in. They have these new hybrid rechargeables now that claim to retain 85% of their charge after sitting for a year. I got some and they are way better. They really do hold a charge. The ones I got were Sanyo eneloop but I think there are now several brands. (We use a lot of rechargeables here for the Wii remotes, TV remotes, mp3 players etc.)

Callisto in NC, I have to respectively disagree with you about rechargeable batteries. It might be possible that the ones you were buying were not of good quality or the charger you had was not a good one.

When I had a digital camera that used regular batteries I used rechargeables. They were so much better than regular batteries. They lasted a very long time on a charge for the majority of the life of them. After a certain number of charges (maybe 500 or so) they would not hold a charge as long, but 500 or so charges is quite a lot.

I would highly recommend rechareables over disposables for anything that takes batteries.
I think you are misunderstanding what I said about rechargables. I USE them in my cameras. I do not use them in anything that sits. Even on the package directions it states they will lose their charge if left to sit for a long time. I've actually had the experience with Duricell, Energizer, and Radio Shack (long ago).

Yes, rechargables are very good in cameras and frequently used electronics. They are not recommended for devices that sit for long periods of time between uses. As Fischer's Mom states, it's not just an issue I've encountered.

Rechargables have a shelf life. They are designed to lose their charge so you have to recharge them and eventually buy new.

Per the Energizer website:
Question:
Do Energizer® NiMH Rechargeable batteries have to be fully drained before recharging? Do they have a “memory”?

Answer:
No. Energizer® NiMH Rechargeable batteries do not have the memory problems typically associated with older Nickel Cadmium rechargeable battery technology. NiMH Rechargeable batteries can be recharged after a few hours of use or whenever convenient. If batteries have been stored for more than 1 month, be sure to recharge before using to maximize power.

Question:
Do rechargeable batteries lose their charge when not in use?

Answer:
All NiHM batteries lose their charge when not in use

This was what I was referring to and why rechargables wouldn't be practical in this device. A month and you need to recharge. I've had batteries in my Handi-Vac for three months now with no problem.

In short, these units work very good when they do, but be prepared to either have extra batteries on hand or the money for some, if you rely soley on this particular unit for vacuum sealing.

I'm just sick and tired of having to buy the darn batteries about every 2 weeks, because the more you use it, the sooner the batteries have to be replaced!

I once thought that getting another Foodsaver was the wrong idea, but now, I think it was a wise choice, because it now helps me cut down on the added expense of buying batteries mainly for this unit, even though batteries are still needed for other things like remote controls for electronics and wall clocks, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, etc.. You don't have to replace the batteries in those as much.

Last edited:
I think you are misunderstanding what I said about rechargables. I USE them in my cameras. I do not use them in anything that sits. Even on the package directions it states they will lose their charge if left to sit for a long time. I've actually had the experience with Duricell, Energizer, and Radio Shack (long ago).

Yes, rechargables are very good in cameras and frequently used electronics. They are not recommended for devices that sit for long periods of time between uses. As Fischer's Mom states, it's not just an issue I've encountered.

Rechargables have a shelf life. They are designed to lose their charge so you have to recharge them and eventually buy new.

Per the Energizer website:
Question:
Do Energizer® NiMH Rechargeable batteries have to be fully drained before recharging? Do they have a “memory”?

Answer:
No. Energizer® NiMH Rechargeable batteries do not have the memory problems typically associated with older Nickel Cadmium rechargeable battery technology. NiMH Rechargeable batteries can be recharged after a few hours of use or whenever convenient. If batteries have been stored for more than 1 month, be sure to recharge before using to maximize power.

Question:
Do rechargeable batteries lose their charge when not in use?

Answer:
All NiHM batteries lose their charge when not in use

This was what I was referring to and why rechargables wouldn't be practical in this device. A month and you need to recharge. I've had batteries in my Handi-Vac for three months now with no problem.
Sorry Callisto. You are right. I did misunderstand what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying :)

Corey, your experience is an anomaly. I use mine frequently and don't have to replace the batteries often or "have extras on hand constantly." I see you are happy about your new purchase but making it seem like you have to buy batteries every other week for the Reynolds is not productive.

As for when the batteries do start to go on the Handi Vac, you do get a warning. The unit is fabulous, don't be fooled. Buy it at Wal-Mart if you aren't sure. Then, if it doesn't work to your personal liking (or you do a 180 on your opinion of it) you have 90 days to take it back to the store.

Sorry Callisto. You are right. I did misunderstand what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying :)
No problem. Believe me, I'm an advocate of rechargables and it irritated me that the guy I worked with refused to use them for his camera. However for remote controls and the Handi-Vac, electronics batteries (the lithium ones) are my preference. I put batteries in my remotes once a year, I couldn't do that with the rechargables. But when I go to the zoo or any place with my camera, I've got three sets of rechargables tagging along with me. Usually I don't need to change, but I like having them just in case. I certainly wouldn't want to buy three sets of lithiums for my camera at a time, talk about costly. OUCH. But rechargables are great for cameras, Wii controllers, things like that.

Glad we got that cleared up. :)

But when I go to the zoo or any place with my camera, I've got three sets of rechargables tagging along with me. Usually I don't need to change, but I like having them just in case. I certainly wouldn't want to buy three sets of lithiums for my camera at a time, talk about costly. OUCH.
That's so funny, Callisto. The zoo is where I go most of the time to take pics. I live within walking distance and go a lot. And I use the rechargeables for our cameras.

The new hybrid ones really are great. Next time you have to buy some, check them out. I got really irritated when my regular rechargeables would lose their charge if they were in the camera for a couple of weeks or so. It doesn't happen with the hybrids I got and they even had the higher capacity ones (2600 mAh) so I can get a lot of shots before recharging.

I know you have a teen daughter so I'll share a funny story. When my oldest started dating, she would tell boys that they had to pass the "zoo test" first. That meant going to the zoo with the whole family for the day. She really ran them through the wringer there - making them push the strollers, carry the toddlers, wash the sticky cotton candy off their hands and faces, wipe noses, etc. (We had 2 little guys then.) Then she would decide if she wanted to go out with them, but she made it seem like we were the ones deciding. It was often very amusing.

Love that story Fischer's Mom. Too bad my daughter "out grew" the zoo (although she's dying to go to the Atlanta Aquarium). That would be a great test. Then again, with all the cats in my house, it's like a test in and of itself.

I'll try the new ones when it comes time to buy more. The Energizers I have were top of the line when I got them. I'm sure they've improved in a year with the way technology is. Still for the Handi-Vac, I love my lithium batteries.

I know you have a teen daughter so I'll share a funny story. When my oldest started dating, she would tell boys that they had to pass the "zoo test" first. That meant going to the zoo with the whole family for the day. She really ran them through the wringer there - making them push the strollers, carry the toddlers, wash the sticky cotton candy off their hands and faces, wipe noses, etc. (We had 2 little guys then.) Then she would decide if she wanted to go out with them, but she made it seem like we were the ones deciding. It was often very amusing.

Well that explains a lot in my formulative years of dating :huh:

Corey, your experience is an anomaly. I use mine frequently and don't have to replace the batteries often or "have extras on hand constantly." I see you are happy about your new purchase but making it seem like you have to buy batteries every other week for the Reynolds is not productive.

As for when the batteries do start to go on the Handi Vac, you do get a warning. The unit is fabulous, don't be fooled. Buy it at Wal-Mart if you aren't sure. Then, if it doesn't work to your personal liking (or you do a 180 on your opinion of it) you have 90 days to take it back to the store.

The motor starts to labor a bit and the bags can't be vacuum sealed.

Let's see;

1. I bought the unit in December from Shaw's.

2. In January, the batteries had to be replaced for the first time.

3. Two weeks later, they had to be replaced again.

4. Two weeks from that, they had to be replaced again. That same day, I took out the weak batteries and put in the new ones. I resumed work on vacuum sealing. Twenty minutes later, EVEN THOSE batteries became weak!

5. I had to run back to the store with those batteries for another replacement or a refund. The store owner's wife said that she can't sell any more of the batteries there since I returned the ones that went south so soon.

6. I almost got stuck with those ones because at first, she wouldn't give me a refund! I then went to the other convenience store for new ones. Forgot that the unit takes 6 of them! Had to go back for the other two. All that running up and down the stairs that day wore me out, as I have a heart condition that makes me so tired, winded and almost short of breath if I move too fast!

7. Fast forward to the other day. Had just replaced the batteries again because the ones installed about two weeks ago were weak again.

8. Began vacuum sealing the cold cuts I bought two days earlier. Already had new batteries in the house. The batteries that I bought two weeks earlier had gone weak. Replaced them with the new ones.

9. Unit had flatly REFUSED to vacuum seal the bags, and I made sure that the zip tops were completely closed. That's when I had unpacked and started using the Foodsaver.

10. Went to make a sandwich with some of the cold cuts. Upon revacuum
sealing with the hand-held unit, it worked so darn slow, but eventually, the bags were vacuum sealed again.

11. Didn't even bother using the hand-held for the turkey burgers Friday. At this point, I was getting stressed out. Went right straight to the Foodsaver which did it nicely.

12. Now if THAT isn't enough to make someone stressed out, frustrated and fed up with constantly buying batteries within short periods for this unit, then I don't know what else is!

Last edited:
Corey, it sounds like your batteries are the problem, not the unit. You should try better batteries like the lithium batteries for electronics instead of cheap ones.

I would hardly called Duracell cheap. But yes, I might look into buying stronger ones of the lithium type.

I think now you probably understand why I've gotten so fed up and disgusted with buying batteries for this unit too often in such a short span of time.

Duracells are cheap as far as electronics are concerned. I wouldn't accept Duracells as a gift for my electronics. Oh, sure, maybe for my remote controls, but never for anything that requires power. "The Copper Tops" are one step above Ray-O-Vac.

Energizer Lithiums are great for this unit. Regular Energizers for my mouse, desktop keyboard, remotes, things like that. I hate Duracells so much that when we switched office supply providers I still used the old provider for batteries because they were Energizers. Duracells are just crap.

Energizer Lithiums are great for this unit. Regular Energizers for my mouse, desktop keyboard, remotes, things like that. I hate Duracells so much that when we switched office supply providers I still used the old provider for batteries because they were Energizers. Duracells are just crap.

You're right!!

Yeah, I'm just now finding that out. It's no wonder that I was having so much trouble keeping this unit working properly!

They seem to work great for electronics, like remote controllers, etc..

It's just too bad that Reynolds didn't make this unit rechargable. I wouldn't have had to buy so many blasted batteries so often!!

Ok, so lithium it is. Next time I'm at Walgreens or Shaw's I'll definitely look into it!

Last edited:
I've had a lot of "rechargable" appliances and they were horrid to deal with. I had a rechargable can opener that if I forgot to put it on the charger, it would be better as a paper weight than a can opener. My old plug in lasted longer than the rechargable did. The problem with rechargable anything is it loses its charge if not used and it has a shorter lifespan than something that plugs in or uses batteries. I just don't know that it would be effective to have the unit be rechargable as my experience with rechargable appliances have been decidedly negative.

Lithiums. They aren't cheap but they'll last a lot longer than the "copper top."

My batteries are dying now, too. But I was having a bit of a hard time getting the bags to seal even before that.

And they don't hold a seal in the freezer about 75% of the time.

I have a foodsaver now and love it but it's not that good for things you want to open and close, like cheese.

Back
Top Bottom