"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Rice Cooker

I keep seeing rice cookers on sale. I know some have steamer inserts for cooking other things but I'm wondering, does anyone else have one? Do you use it very much? Does it make rice better than in a pan on the stove? I mean, I make rice probably every other night on the stove and I'm not a good cook but the rice always comes out well and it's really easy to do. So are there some advantages to rice in a rice cooker?

Old 09-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It's a convenience because it gives you perfect rice and you don't really have to pay attention to it. You add the rice and water then turn it on and forget it. It cooks the rice then keeps it warm until you are ready.

As you said, it also works as a steamer for veggies and other things.

From what I've heard, you don't have to spend a lot to get a good one. Others have mentioned $20. rice cookers that do the job!

Old 09-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

hi There. I Have Just Joined. My Name Is Sylvia. And I Read Your Question.
well I Bought A Rice Cooker When They First Came Out. And Would Not Be Without Mine. Especially If You Cook Rice Regular. They Are Brilliant As
they Also Have A Keep Warm Switch, Which Do Not Stick To The Bottom. My Family Loves Rice Frozen Peas And A Bag Of Large Frozen Prawns. You
do Get A Paddle Cup And Recipe Book.plus If You Make A Lot And Have Plenty Left. I Put In My Lock And Lid Containers.you Can Also Add Ingredients To The Rice Like Curry Powder Ect. Plus Pudding Rice. And
you Can Also Cook Other Recipes Without It Being Rice. I Myself Would
not Be Without It. They Are Excellent. And So Easy To Use. But If You Do Buy One Tefal Does A Good Non Stick. Plus You Recieve A Top Tray For Steaming. Hope This Helps Thanks Sylvia.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I finally purchased a rice cooker since I saw it at Costco (Aroma digital 10 cup cool touch). It cost me about $30.

It is pre-programmed for white rice and brown rice and has a basket for steaming foods. The main feature that I like is the removable non-stick cooking pot for easy cleaning.

I never thought I'd use one, however, I have a habit of putting a pot of rice on the stove and getting absorbed in something else. After burning the rice twice in a week it was an easy decision. The Aroma rice cooker automatically goes into a warming mode after the rice is cooked.

I love it. It was a long overdue purchase. This is the only one I've ever used so I cannot speak about other brands or models.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
hi There. I Have Just Joined. My Name Is Sylvia. And I Read Your Question.
well I Bought A Rice Cooker When They First Came Out. And Would Not Be Without Mine. Especially If You Cook Rice Regular. They Are Brilliant As
they Also Have A Keep Warm Switch, Which Do Not Stick To The Bottom. My Family Loves Rice Frozen Peas And A Bag Of Large Frozen Prawns. You
do Get A Paddle Cup And Recipe Book.plus If You Make A Lot And Have Plenty Left. I Put In My Lock And Lid Containers.you Can Also Add Ingredients To The Rice Like Curry Powder Ect. Plus Pudding Rice. And
you Can Also Cook Other Recipes Without It Being Rice. I Myself Would
not Be Without It. They Are Excellent. And So Easy To Use. But If You Do Buy One Tefal Does A Good Non Stick. Plus You Recieve A Top Tray For Steaming. Hope This Helps Thanks Sylvia.
Thanks Sylvia, I'm sold. The keep warm thing I hadn't thought about but that would be excellent. I'm not good at timing so rarely do I have every dish get done at the same time for a meal. That would be one less thing to worry about. Time to hit Amazon.com!

BTW, welcome to DC and thanks again for your help.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

hi There. Thanks For Your Reply. So Glad You Are Hitting Amazon .lol I Use It Too.and Of Course Ebay.woooooo Lol. But Amazon I Do Use A Lot.
especially My Kitchen Gadgets. The First Rice Cooker I Had The Inside Never Came Out.plus It Was Not Non Stick.but It Still Had A Warmer And Steamer Ect. Well I Wore It Out.lol So Then Saw Tsv On Qvc.they Had A Tefal Non Stick It Is Brilliant. But So Are The Other Brands. They All Have The Same Now. Plus On Amazon You Will Pick One Up Next To Nothing. Honestly You Will Never Look Back.plus I Think The Capacity Is Either 8 Or 10 Ltres. Thats A Lot Of Rice.lol Well Happy Rice Hunting Let Me Know Okay. Take Care Sylvia.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Bought A Brilliant One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I finally purchased a rice cooker since I saw it at Costco (Aroma digital 10 cup cool touch). It cost me about $30.

It is pre-programmed for white rice and brown rice and has a basket for steaming foods. The main feature that I like is the removable non-stick cooking pot for easy cleaning.

I never thought I'd use one, however, I have a habit of putting a pot of rice on the stove and getting absorbed in something else. After burning the rice twice in a week it was an easy decision. The Aroma rice cooker automatically goes into a warming mode after the rice is cooked.

I love it. It was a long overdue purchase. This is the only one I've ever used so I cannot speak about other brands or models.

HI THERE.JUST TO SAY WHAT A LOVELY RICE COOKER. I MEAN THAT.
I HAVE A TEFAL IN WHICH I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT. HOWEVER YOURS IS MORE ADVANCED.AS IT DOES WHITE OR BROWN.PLUS IT LOOKS CLASSY. AS FOR THE PRICE WOW. I KNOW THAT IS IN DOLLARS.
SO OVER UK THAT WOULD COST TREBLE.AS MINE COST WELL OVER THAT ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO. JUST LIKE YOU I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT MINE. I AM REALLY GLAD PLUS IT LOOKS AS IF IT HOLD A LOT MORE THAN MINE. I BET IT ALSO LOOKS GOOD IN THE KITCHEN TOO. I LOVE
COOKING AND KITCHEN GADGETS. LOL BUT THEY ARE SO USEFUL LIKE
COOKING RICE ECT. TAKE CARE SYLVIA.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
The rice cooker that I have came in handy with my fried rice. I used to steam the rice in a covered saucepan but it would leave too much liquid in it. Once I steamed the rice in the rice cooker, the stir fried rice was dry enough to hand and not sticky anymore. The cooker also comes in handy when I'm steaming Japanese sticky rice for our sushi. It's a good investment.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
The rice cooker that I have came in handy with my fried rice. I used to steam the rice in a covered saucepan but it would leave too much liquid in it. Once I steamed the rice in the rice cooker, the stir fried rice was dry enough to hand and not sticky anymore. The cooker also comes in handy when I'm steaming Japanese sticky rice for our sushi. It's a good investment.
Hi There. Dina. Thanks for this.You are all so friendly on here. And like you i would not be without mine.I know this sounds cheeky however only when you have time.I would really like your recipe for Japenese sticky rice. As it
sounds MMMMMMMMMMM Lush. But if it is a secrect recipe of yours please do not worry.And i hope you do not mind in me asking you.
Take Care Sylvia.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Hi Aurora, thanks for posting your cooker. That's a very good deal and so I'll be hitting Costco. Looks like yours has all the best features that are on some of the $75+ models.

Me, too, Dina. Would love to learn how you do fried rice.

Sylvia, you're a peach and gonna fit right in. Sooo glad you're here!