"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Rice Cooker Questions

I am looking at purchasing a new rice cooker. I want the ability to cook different types of rice or other items, and to avoid the dry crust on the bottom that we get with the traditional rice cooker. Steaming would be a nice but not necessary option. I am interested in a cooker with fuzzy logic, and perhaps with the new induction heating. I have a few questions:

1. If a cooker lists a capacity of, say, 6 cups, is that pre-cooked dry rice, or the finished, cooked rice?

2. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have a large family and want a larger capacity cooker. I know that Zojirushi, Tiger, and National are quality brands, but at the top end price-wise. What about some of the others, like Sanyo, Fujitronics, Aroma, or Sunpentown, etc?

3. Is there a big difference between the normal fuzzy logic cooker and the new induction heat cookers?

Any advice would be very helpful.

-bill

Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
First...welcome, Bill. We're glad you've found DC.

As for your rice cooker question, I have no clue but, believe me, you will receive plenty of answers from those who have experience.

Hope you will stay with us a nice long time.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Hi Bill,

Welcome to DC! The good folks here helped me to decide on which brand of range to purchase so I'm happy to help you in your selection of a rice cooker.

I have a 10 c. Aroma rice cooker. I bought it at Sam's Club for about $25. It has an insert for steaming. I can cook rice and steam pot stickers at the same time in it. I also cook different types of rice in it. A few times the bottom was a little crusty, but I think I needed to add more water than I did. Most times I got perfect rice out of it. It can also be used for making soup but I haven't used it that way yet.

In addition, it cooks the rice quickly. Much quicker than it would on the stove, plus it has a keep warm feature that kicks in automatically when the cooking in completed.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I believe the 6 cups is cooked rice, not raw.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I am the world's worst rice cook. However, I was lucky to receive a steamer as a gift. I don't have a lick of problems with quick rice (5 min instant) in the steamer. Right b4 serving I add whichever spices or vegie or meat I desire. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had the knowledge to make perfect rice. But, until I do, quick and simple is quite delicious.

The steamer also can steam fresh vegies and chicken or fish all together. Great for rice meals!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I used to have a 6 cup Aroma rice cooker, which I gave to my son when I bought my new Krups rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker. Aroma is an excellent brand, endorsed by Martin Yan, and he doesn't lend his name or his reputation to just anyone.

However, I abso-friggin-lutely LOVE my Krups! 10 cup capacity (yes, that's finished product), I can steam veggies while I cook rice, orif I am not cooking rice, with an extra steamer basket I can steam two vegetables at the same time. I haven't tried the slow cooker fuction yet, but I already have a crock pot that I haven't taken out of the cupboard in years.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam1021
I am looking at purchasing a new rice cooker. I want the ability to cook different types of rice or other items, and to avoid the dry crust on the bottom that we get with the traditional rice cooker. Steaming would be a nice but not necessary option. I am interested in a cooker with fuzzy logic, and perhaps with the new induction heating. I have a few questions:

1. If a cooker lists a capacity of, say, 6 cups, is that pre-cooked dry rice, or the finished, cooked rice?

2. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have a large family and want a larger capacity cooker. I know that Zojirushi, Tiger, and National are quality brands, but at the top end price-wise. What about some of the others, like Sanyo, Fujitronics, Aroma, or Sunpentown, etc?

3. Is there a big difference between the normal fuzzy logic cooker and the new induction heat cookers?

Any advice would be very helpful.

-bill

Six cups of rice for a six-cup cooker is the FINISHED product.

You start off with 3 cups of rice and 6 cups of water. And for long grain or short grain, or most other rice, use slightly less water to avoid too-soft or gummy rice.

Zojirushi, I think, is the best one to get. I own a small one. And it WON'T overcook or undercook the rice either.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
Head Chef

The less devices I have the better "lol". I begged for a rice cooker for Christmas because I couldn't make rice. I made it in there once and it seemed like it took a long time. It was ok. But recently I have learned how to make rice better on the stove and I like it. So I'm going to get rid of the rice cooker.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

One tip that may help avoid the "rice crust" is when the cooker clicks to the warm setting, give the rice a fluff with the rice paddle, let it sit with power on for at least 10 - 15 minutes and the crust should be eliminated. Also, with the non-stick cookers crusts are hard to come by, but I still let the rice sit after cooking.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
most of the brands you have listed are reputable and good brands although i have never heard of superpentown