"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Ours is a Toastmaster that I bought at a thrift store for $1. In addition to cooking all kinds of rice, I use it to steam vegetables and to cook legumes and grains. One of the handiest uses I've found is to cook potatoes for potato salad. The potatoes always get cooked perfectly and don't get waterlogged. I also don't have to babysit a pan of potatoes, so I can safely do something else while the potatoes are cooking. Our rice cooker is definitely not a "uni-tasker," as Alton Brown might say.
That is fantastic... I will try that very soon. Also wanting to try some black beans in it as well.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This is the one I have. It retails for over $200.
I have the same one, and I love it. Zojirushi makes great small appliances, imo (I have their breadmaker and electric skillet and am very happy with those as well). If you want a machine that cooks different types of rice (and other things), is programmable with a timer and has variable keep warm (among other) features, it's worth every penny.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #33
Cook

We got a cheepy rice cooker, about $20 U.S.
My wife won it as a tennis prize.
It works great with all kinds of rice, Basmanti, wild, whatever.When the rice is 1/2 cooked, I often throw in some vegies, like green beans, or, sliced carrots, or brocolli etc. and it comes out "El dente" but really hot , crisp and tasty.
Our dog loves rice left overs so he pre cleans the pot.
Waste not, want not!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstorm View Post
I have the same one, and I love it. Zojirushi makes great small appliances, imo (I have their breadmaker and electric skillet and am very happy with those as well). If you want a machine that cooks different types of rice (and other things), is programmable with a timer and has variable keep warm (among other) features, it's worth every penny.
I also have the same one but until last night I did not realise that it was made by Zojirushi.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

I know this post is pretty old, and the original poster has probably made their buying decision (Must have bought one with all the raves here!)

I have a loose lid type, off brand and it is great. The 12 cup size serves my family of 4 & guests very well. I have seen them more frequently in thrift stores and they seem to wear like iron.

So any new interest folks - get one
Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Wow, just come across discuss cooking - first of all I'm amazed at what a comprehensive forum this is for all food related things! Second of all it's great to see the support and recommendations that Zojirushi rice cookers have on this forum!

Although it's an old thread, I just wanted to add that Zojirushi rice cookers are the very best you can buy - they have really useful functions to cook different types of rice so it takes all the thinking out and therefore they produce perfect rice every time.

You guys in the US have been lucky, Zojirushi have been available for a long time there, here in the UK, Europe and Australia they have, until recently, been impossible to find.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site Yum Asia!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I had a cheap model that I got from Wal-mart. I tried spraying it with Pam, tried rinsing the rice but everytime I used it the rice would stick to the bottom. I finally donated it to goodwill. Maybe it was just me, hopefully someone else will enjoy it. I am back to cooking rice in a pan on the stove. That has always worked for me in the past.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have a Zojirushi Rice Cooker. They are very expensive, but it is greatest kitchen appliance I own. I did not pay anything for it directly (got it from credit card points), but now that I have used it I would absolutely buy it full price if I had to. I love this thing.
My gf feels the same way about hers. I was looking at other ones at the Asian market and she says to me, "Accept no imitations." I've yet to part with the money one costs.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #40
Sous Chef

I finally broke down and bought a fuzzy-logic rice cooker. Sanyo ECJ-HC55S/H, 5.5 cup. New, out of box, thrift store, $6. Tried it with brown Basmati rice today. Two cups of the most perfect brown rice I've ever made. Yowza! I'd been holding out for the Zojirushi with the ceramic pot, but haven't found one for a price I can really afford, and I'm glad I waited. The Sanyo works just fine.