"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #41
Chief Eating Officer

What a great deal gadzooks. That will possibly be the best $6 you ever spent.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a cheap one, it is ok but rice sticks. i find the microwave cooks perfect rice for me. so think i will stick with that.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:24 AM   #43
Head Chef

I couldn't live without my rice cooker, especially because I eat a lot of brown rice, and the stovetop method never cooks it half as well as the rice cooker.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
I couldn't live without my rice cooker, especially because I eat a lot of brown rice, and the stovetop method never cooks it half as well as the rice cooker.
Amen to that...I also like brown rice, and my rice cooker is a better rice cook than I am. I enjoyed some leftover brown Basmati this morning, reincarnated as fried rice. Yum!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Amen to that...I also like brown rice, and my rice cooker is a better rice cook than I am. I enjoyed some leftover brown Basmati this morning, reincarnated as fried rice. Yum!
Sounds great! I love fried rice!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #46
Assistant Cook

I love my rice cooker, too. It makes it so easy and always comes out right.

Brown rice for fried rice? Is that was most Chinese restaurants use? I know it's brown after cooking, but I always thought it was the same "sticky" white rice w/ soy and browned.

But anyway - brown rice for fried rice?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Microwave View Post
I love my rice cooker, too. It makes it so easy and always comes out right.

Brown rice for fried rice? Is that was most Chinese restaurants use? I know it's brown after cooking, but I always thought it was the same "sticky" white rice w/ soy and browned.

But anyway - brown rice for fried rice?
Chinese fried rice is made with left over white rice. It can be made with brown rice but the color of fried rice comes from the soy sauce and oyster sauce used to flavor it.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #48
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Chinese fried rice is made with left over white rice. It can be made with brown rice but the color of fried rice comes from the soy sauce and oyster sauce used to flavor it.
Correctomundo! I just use brown (Basmati) because it's what I normally cook and eat, and fried rice is a leftovers dish here. I season with Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce, and oyster or fish sauce if I have it, and a smidge of white pepper. Mmmm! Today, btw, is my lucky day. I was setting up to paint an office at church this morning and had to break for a computer job. On my way back to the church after, I decided to stop in at 2nd Helpings, my favorite charity thrift store in town. It's where I found my Sanyo rice cooker last week. Today, they had the second (slow cooker) bowl and a spare inner lid for $2 + tax. Yay!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #49
Sous Chef

Sorry to post again on this, but I didn't think of it until it was too late to edit...has anybody used their rice cooker as a slow cooker, like a crock-pot? If yes, what results?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

gadzooks:

I have a Morphy-Richards multicooker which i think it's absolutely amazing! It serves 9 functions, being one of them slow cooking, also steams, bakes, reheats and of course it's brilliant for rice and pasta. I think not all rice cookers are able for slow cooking, because the programs to cook rice are specific and time pre-programmed! With those multipurposes you can find also models on Sanyo or Cuisinart