"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Very impressive. I do have the high-end Sanyo that slow-cooks. I wish the thrift store had had the one that pressure cooks as well, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I had an Aroma fuzzy logic one, that could do all sorts of things: white rice, brown rice, sticky rice, steam, slow cooker, stew...

I cannot find it anymore, I think my mom gave it to a thrift store or summat. But now I have a cheep-ish Zojirushi NHS-10. I believe its new for $50 USD, but I got it at Goodwill (thrift store) for $5! Didn't have the steamer thing, but thats ok I just cook rice with it.

You can't go wrong with any Zojirushi, or other Japanese brands: Tiger, Sanyo, Panasonic, Imperial, Tar Hong..

Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Sorry to post again on this, but I didn't think of it until it was too late to edit...has anybody used their rice cooker as a slow cooker, like a crock-pot? If yes, what results?
I cook rice in a waterless slow cooker. Before I bought that, i used a rival crock pot. 2 cups of brown rice to 5 cups of water for two hours on low, and the rice is perfect. No sticking.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaFine View Post
I cook rice in a waterless slow cooker. Before I bought that, i used a rival crock pot. 2 cups of brown rice to 5 cups of water for two hours on low, and the rice is perfect. No sticking.
Two hours to cook rice is a long time.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Yes, but it is in a crockpot, you don't have to watch it, or even think about it, just remember to turn it off.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
I've got a Zojirushi. Love it.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #57
Sous Chef

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I just purchased a Panasonic SR-MGS102 fuzzy logic (pricey at $200 from William Sonoma) and I love it. It has 8 program settings including slow cooking and cake! I have made jasmine and brown rice in it already with perfect results. I really like how the dimpled inner pan is non-stick and the inner lid and steam vent remove for easy cleaning. Thanks again for all of the expert advice in this thread. I would not have purchased a rice cooker without all of your wonderful input!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I just purchased a Panasonic SR-MGS102 fuzzy logic (pricey at $200 from William Sonoma) and I love it. It has 8 program settings including slow cooking and cake! I have made jasmine and brown rice in it already with perfect results. I really like how the dimpled inner pan is non-stick and the inner lid and steam vent remove for easy cleaning. Thanks again for all of the expert advice in this thread. I would not have purchased a rice cooker without all of your wonderful input!!!
Now you need to learn to cook steel cut oats in it! It is wonderful!!!

There's lots of things you can do in that cooker.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #59
Assistant Cook

I have a 7 Cup Wolfgang Puck cooker and lost the instructions shortly after the purchase. Can anyone give me some guidelines. Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNelson014 View Post
I have a 7 Cup Wolfgang Puck cooker and lost the instructions shortly after the purchase. Can anyone give me some guidelines. Thanks
www.wpcookware.com/instructions/BDRC0010.pdf