"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #61
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to M3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Now you need to learn to cook steel cut oats in it! It is wonderful!!!

There's lots of things you can do in that cooker.
I need a new rice cooker. Mine always comes out terrible. The one food I'm terrified to make cause I used to either burn the pot or make it gooey. :(

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #62
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Rice Cookers are fantastic, they do all the work and I get to play on the Internet...

Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #63
Head Chef

Always do rice on the stove or I have done in the oven using the Neely's recipe from the foodnetwork site. I also do a mexican rice in the oven. Been thinking of a rice cooking. But at this stage of life with it just the hubbie and me now. Another gadget is not what i want. But I do have a question. Some of you say you can steam veggies in it, Could you steam fish in it? I love Salmon steamed. I usually set it on a rack and in a baking dish with water under it , cover it and steam it on top of the stove. If any one has done it let me know. I might consider adding one to the collection of appliances.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Always do rice on the stove or I have done in the oven using the Neely's recipe from the foodnetwork site. I also do a mexican rice in the oven. Been thinking of a rice cooking. But at this stage of life with it just the hubbie and me now. Another gadget is not what i want. But I do have a question. Some of you say you can steam veggies in it, Could you steam fish in it? I love Salmon steamed. I usually set it on a rack and in a baking dish with water under it , cover it and steam it on top of the stove. If any one has done it let me know. I might consider adding one to the collection of appliances.
You can steam just about anything, as long as it fits in the basket. I think you would enjoy it. Makes life easy so you can concentrate on the rest of the food. I think you can get one for under 20 bucks. Non stick bowl makes clean up a snap.

I find it cooks some rice types better than others. It cooks Basmati perfectly, while long grain gets clumpy to me. I still use a pot for the long grain rice..
Old 03-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #65
Head Chef

thanks rock lobster - I will put this on my list -
Old 03-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #66
Executive Chef

I've had several different rice cookers over the years, but the best one I've had, that lasted the longest, was my 10 cup Krups rice cooker-steamer-slow cooker. It lasted close to 10 years before it started shutting off before the rice was fully cooked. I then bought a 5 cup Krups rice cooker-steamer-slow cooker-oatmeal maker. I've had it for a couple of years now and it is everything I expect from a Krups appliance. I must admit I have never used it as a slow cooker, but I have made rice in it, and steamed vegetables and dumplings, and I have even made Irish steel cut oatmeal in it.

Oh, and unless you have an extrremely large family or are cooking professionally, you are never going to make 10 cups of rice at any one time. A serving of rice is 1/2 cup cooked, and I haven't had to feed 20 people in a very long time. That's why I opted for the 5 cup machine.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshoo96 View Post
have a black and decker rice cooker and although I like that the rice doesn't burn, there is a hole in the lid and I end up with hot, starchy water everywhere in the kitchen when I use it. I used to have a proctor silex one and it was great. I wouldn't buy the black and decker brand again.
I never buy Black & Decker appliances for one simple reason; they seem to have a habit of expiring right after the warranty does.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #68
Assistant Cook

I have a cheap-o Aroma Rice Cooker from Walmart. It steams vegetables just fine, but does not cook rice, it was the cheapest one. Now I just make white rice in my pot on the stove. Don't know if this helps?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #69
Assistant Cook

I brought my tiny rice cooker in Thailand... managed to pack it away in my suitcase and brought it back home. Its perfect!! Use it whenever I make rice, would never go back to the old way again.

Check out my foodie blog: www.andstirwell.com
jglazebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to jessejazza Send a message via AIM to jessejazza Send a message via MSN to jessejazza Send a message via Yahoo to jessejazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellecooks79 View Post
I have a cheap-o Aroma Rice Cooker from Walmart. It steams vegetables just fine, but does not cook rice, it was the cheapest one. Now I just make white rice in my pot on the stove. Don't know if this helps?
I have a rice cooker/steamer that was given to me of a reputable make. I found it tended to burn rice but was excellent for steaming which is what i use it for. Somehow with the measured amount of water it steams faster than a steamer on the gas ring. Why's that?

I also use mine as a double steamer using one of these baskets in the bottom.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Stai...ywords=steamer

Well worth trying in my view.