"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #71
Assistant Cook

I've wondered what a double steamer was called. Those are great for broccoli. Mine is great for steaming too, so I think I'm going to keep it. I like steamed carrots, with peanut sauce on top. I like this forum, glad I found it. Happy steaming.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #72
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to jessejazza Send a message via AIM to jessejazza Send a message via MSN to jessejazza Send a message via Yahoo to jessejazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaFine View Post
I cook rice in a waterless slow cooker. Before I bought that, i used a rival crock pot. 2 cups of brown rice to 5 cups of water for two hours on low, and the rice is perfect. No sticking.
I thought i'd try rice in the slow cooker today - 1.5 L conventional type. Following what i'd seen written elsewhere i put mine on HIGH and i found that made the rice stoggy. Interested that you used LOW but then you say it was a waterless slow cooker.

There are only two methods i've found that work for cooking rice.
a] Easy Cook type i just put in the pan with plenty of water. Then rinse through a fine mesh collander.

b] An indian method. Soak the rice for 30 mins or so, then put in a pan with a measured amount of water and butter - cook 15 mins and then serve.

These are the only ways i've managed to achieve "fluffy rice".

Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #73
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to jessejazza Send a message via AIM to jessejazza Send a message via MSN to jessejazza Send a message via Yahoo to jessejazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Always do rice on the stove or I have done in the oven using the Neely's recipe from the foodnetwork site. I also do a mexican rice in the oven. Been thinking of a rice cooking. But at this stage of life with it just the hubbie and me now. Another gadget is not what i want. But I do have a question. Some of you say you can steam veggies in it, Could you steam fish in it? I love Salmon steamed. I usually set it on a rack and in a baking dish with water under it , cover it and steam it on top of the stove. If any one has done it let me know. I might consider adding one to the collection of appliances.
On this thread i think we have mislead each other slightly. Some folk have been referring to the rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker types as well as the 'conventional' type. I use a conventional type for steaming although it needs practice as too little water doesn't cook the veg. Somehow it's quicker than a pan with two tiers.

I use the pan steamer for veg all my life, do moist cakes (fruit cakes), fish in foil, sponge pudding, chicken. However, i think fish is better in a oval slow cooker... as well as the shape.

It is worth having a steaming stand (cost little) for flexibility - either for steaming or Bain-marie in a large slow cooker.

Mine's aluminium and there are many types available but here's one example
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Roun...steaming+stand

To see the variety of steam cooking you may like to get a copy of a cheap book like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steaming-Ann...aming+cookbook

I haven't tried steaming rice but will shortly.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #74
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejazza View Post
I thought i'd try rice in the slow cooker today - 1.5 L conventional type. Following what i'd seen written elsewhere i put mine on HIGH and i found that made the rice stoggy. Interested that you used LOW but then you say it was a waterless slow cooker.

There are only two methods i've found that work for cooking rice.
a] Easy Cook type i just put in the pan with plenty of water. Then rinse through a fine mesh collander.

b] An indian method. Soak the rice for 30 mins or so, then put in a pan with a measured amount of water and butter - cook 15 mins and then serve.

These are the only ways i've managed to achieve "fluffy rice".
I tried again today with the slow cooker but using it on LOW with one thermos cup of rice (happens to be the right measure for me!) with three cups of water, tsp salt and knob of butter - 1.5 hours. A good result but was improved washing it through the fine collander. A THIRD way now to cook rice i've found.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #75
Senior Cook

slow cooker rice

In my post about using a slow cooker to cook rice, I gave the wrong ratio for water to rice and the wrong temperature. I have been doing this for a while now, with brown rice not white. I use the same ration of one cup rice to two cups water or liquid, set the cooker on the highest temp., mine says 4, but others may just say "high'. Set timer for an hour and then turn off pot, place paper towel between lid and pot for half an hour and voila, cooked rice! Sorry for the misinformation.